Back to Back Toy Drives IP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CW13

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Had the opportunity to attend 2 toy drives(1 each Tuesday and Wed). Great cause and both were run very well. First one TTM

Dan Fouts 5/5
fouts_zps02e1936e.jpg

Tuesday was the Rangers toy drive at the Ballpark. I've attended the last 4 years now I believe. A little light on quality of guests; but I can't complain.Bring a toy and then from 4:30-7:30 there were 3 different groups. I bet there were only 150-200 people there. The current players were harder to double up on(the handlers frown upon it) while the alumni usually sign whatever. Here's the haul..
First group was
Bobby Jones 4 cards and a promo card
jones_zps307b3e1e.jpg
Jim Sundberg 2 cards and a batting glove from '77 given out to Jr Texas Rangers..haha
sundberg_zps2d0afed5.jpg
Ron Washington 3 cards and a promo
Todd Van Poppel 2 cards 1 promo
wash_zpsf6be22d4.jpg
Jose Guzman 9 cards
guzman_zps1b684202.jpg
2nd group
Rusty Greer 7 cards
greer_zps7716e47b.jpg
Steve Buechele 6 cards
buechele_zpsf72401d1.jpg
Dave Hostetler 3 cards and a promo
Larry Hardy 1 card and promo
hostetler_zps3df98ad3.jpg
Kevin Mench 1 card and 4 promos
mench_zps598e2386.jpg
Derek Holland 2 cards
Matt Harrison 3 cards
harrison_zps200bda44.jpg
Lastly..
Tom Grieve 2 promos Shawn Tolleson promo Tim Crabtree 2 promo
tolleson_zpsf8dea39c.jpg
Mark McLemore 4 cards and a promo(couple for Mort)
mclemore_zpsc6071ea9.jpg
Tanner Scheppers 2 cards
Steve Busby 2 cards and 2 promos
scheppers_zps3024c515.jpg
Pete O'Brien 14 cards(ended up parking next to him so I got a few after the event in the parking lot..a couple are for Spencer)
obrien_zps79461b58.jpg

Next night, a local free-agent held a toy drive at a T Mobile in Fort Worth. ..There were at least 200 more people at this event than the one at the Ballpark. Not condoning what he's done; but I will say this, he's a super nice guy. Took time to meet with everyone(prob 350+, took a photo and signed 2 per).
During each game, the Rangers hold a "steal third base" promo where a young kid has 30 secs to run from left field, grab the base and head back. My nephew got to do this..One of the cool things is you get the actual 3rd base from the game before. Well that game was a 10-9 Texas win with an 11 inning walk-off bomb off Tim Wakefield.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ouDSqA7uU

I've had this thing for 3 years; but considering its weight, I haven't hauled it around to get it signed. Last night was the perfect opportunity..

Nelson Cruz OMLB and GU 3rd base with "Walk-off Boomstick vs Boston"
cruzbase_zpsf15af603.jpg

nelson_zpsb6af6c48.jpg
Lots of fun and once again, all for a great cause. I think the Rangers collected 1200 toys and 45 bikes and Cruz' had at least 500-600 toys for the kiddos..

thanks for reading
Chris

Last edited:
That is way cool, Chris! You gotta love his inscription on the bag! Glad to see the Rangers...and Cruz doing this. Amazing haul, my friend! Great way to ring in the Holiday Season!

Chris very nice haul, I have to move down south, it look like there are always events going on down there. Nothing like that on the east coast

Great stuff, Chris. Always enjoy the pictures and stories you put with your posts.

Glad to see Cruz out in the public-eye for a little good PR for himself. From all accounts I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up back in a TX uniform next year.

I like the 3rd base (even though it was off one of my favorite all-time pitchers)!! Did you ask for that inscription?

Great stuff, Chris. Always enjoy the pictures and stories you put with your posts.

Glad to see Cruz out in the public-eye for a little good PR for himself. From all accounts I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up back in a TX uniform next year.

I like the 3rd base (even though it was off one of my favorite all-time pitchers)!! Did you ask for that inscription?

yes i did ask for the inscription..inclouded 8-13-10, too..
and looks like he will be somewhere else now with the Choo signing..hope it is AL though so i can see him signing IP a couple times a year at least...

thanks a lot guys!!