Best Player NOT in the Hall of Fame?

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Well, who is it and why??

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Gil Hodges.....so he can join his friend Jackie Robinson in the Hall of Frame. Many championships with the Dodgers....Manager of the Miracle Mets! Served our country! Over 370 home runs and lead by example! Best regards, David

Last edited:

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Other than the 2 banned players I just posted I am quite shocked that Mike Piazza did not get in yet. I thought he was a slam dunk for the first ballot.

pltcards

5.00 star(s)
Al Oliver;

18 Years 2,368 9,049 1,189 2,743 529 77 219 7 1,326 535 119 756 17 95 82 254 .303 .344 .451

If he hadnt played with Stargell and Clemente he would have been a huge star on another team.

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Al Oliver;

18 Years 2,368 9,049 1,189 2,743 529 77 219 7 1,326 535 119 756 17 95 82 254 .303 .344 .451

If he hadnt played with Stargell and Clemente he would have been a huge star on another team.

i agree with you but shoud dave parker be in there also

pltcards

5.00 star(s)
i agree with you but shoud dave parker be in there also
I think he should be Tom, but his history will probably keep him out at least until the Veteran commitee some day. He sure had some great years and could do it all for a big man. Some of his throws were unbelievable.

bonzomoretti

5.00 star(s)
Gil Hodges.....so he can join his friend Jackie Robinson in the Hall of Frame. Many championships with the Dodgers....Manager of the Miracle Mets! Served our country! Over 370 home runs and lead by example! Best regards, David
...Gold Glove first baseman, in the top 10 in Home Runs all-time when he retired. He gets my vote too!!!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Other than the 2 banned players I just posted I am quite shocked that Mike Piazza did not get in yet. I thought he was a slam dunk for the first ballot.
He should get in next year or two. Best regards, David

Tony Oliva of the Twins....
He would be my top twins not in the HOF too! Best regards, David

...Gold Glove first baseman, in the top 10 in Home Runs all-time when he retired. He gets my vote too!!!
Amen! Best regards, David

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for these friends, keep them rolling in!

I agree about Rose, though from what I have been reading lately, he may be re-considered with the new commissioner

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball...separate-issues-commissioner-rob-manfred-says

Piazza had some PED issues that came to light recently, and I think that may have made sportswriters wary. The HOF has some really strong candidates lately, but a few surprises for me (Glavine and Maddux both on the first ballot? I thought Maddux for sure, but Glavine didnt strike me as a first balloter)

Another surprise for me was Don Mattingly, certainly a great of the era, though his lack of a World Series win plagued him in voting I am sure.

Agree also about Hodges and Al Oliver, though Clemente cast the biggest shadow, what a fantastic player and an even greater person!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
My obvious and heavily biased choice is Pete but after that I would say Don Mattingly....6 time all star, multiple gold gloves, multiple silver sluggers, MVP once, .300+ career hitter

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
My obvious and heavily biased choice is Pete but after that I would say Don Mattingly....6 time all star, multiple gold gloves, multiple silver sluggers, MVP once, .300+ career hitter
HAHA I knew you would be voting for Rose, I think he may have a shot with the new commissioner, and rightfully so, I think his numbers alone speak for themselves.

Thanks for the boost on Mattingly, he was a fantastic player, Donnie Baseball! I would have thought the .300+ BA would have pushed him over the edge, but his percentages in the HOF vote were really low, surprisingly so. As a young boy growing up in Chicago, I didnt follow the Yankees, but knew that he was a great player, one of the best in the 80s, and the years he was on the HOF ballot, there wasnt a ton of real stiff competition, so I was disappointed that he didnt get in. Maybe later as a Veterans Committee vote, one can only hope!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Agree with everyone on Rose, he should have been in there years ago.

Two that I haven't seen mentioned, and since this is "should be in" are Bonds and Clemens. I can't stand Bonds, but it is play on the field that gets you in, not personal opinions, and he would have been in even if you wiped the entire PED portion of his career away. The same could be said for Clemens, except I like him.

I would like to see McGwire get in, but even among the PED users, he doesn't stand above the crowd.

cmcjr99

5.00 star(s)
not enough time to go into details , but of those not mentioned already , i'm very disappointed by a few others not making it (yet?) :

vada pinson
tim raines
jim kaat
tommy john
lee smith

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
cmcjr99- You know, it is not a pitcher's hall, by any means, and I think Lee Smith is the prime example of that! He has an even tougher shot now with Trevor Hoffmann and Mariano Rivera coming up for candidacy soon. I would say that Smith had better numbers than Bruce Sutter or Goose Gossage, and they both made it in a few years ago. Kaat and John are similar stories, longtime pitchers with solid numbers. Tim Raines was a great all around player, though I wonder if his personal problems swayed voters. Thanks for your reply!

Katester, I feel the same way about Bonds, he definitely did not possess the "Integrity" portion of the voting criteria, but he set many records and was a dominant player, like Rose. I saw Clemens pitch at Fenway (got shelled, gave up 6 runs in 2 2/3 innings!) and he was no doubt a dominant pitcher of the era. I would say if Glavine got in first ballot, Clemens had better numbers. The writers definitely are steering away from anyone with any sort of PED connections. I loved McGwire and Canseco during the Bash Brothers era, and then McGwire and Sosa's home run race years later, but the steroids are what are keeping the baseball writers from voting any of these guys in. Piazza was mentioned in earlier posts, and he has had some questions about PEDs in recent years, and I think that is why he is falling short. I wonder what the Veterans Committee would think, if any of these guys would have a shot (pun majorly intended!) in future years? Thanks for your input, I like this thread!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Sponsors