Best sports card find from the Pawn Shop, Thrift Store or Flea Market .....

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
We all enter these institutions of used and unwanted items with a glimmer of hope that perhaps some treasure will present itself at a great bargain of a price. Not more than a few weeks, while at the local flea market, ago I stumbled on what appears to be the gem of Jeter RCs, a 1993 SP foil #279, I paid a dollar for it (maybe less as it was part of other cards). Turns out I didn't even know what I had when I acquired it, a $200. card..... What's your story?

sturgeon

4.90 star(s)
I found a yaz signed ball at a antique store which was also signed by steve carlton, harmon k, dom dimaggio and others for 10 dollars. I also bought a norm van brocklin autographed book of his for $2 At a goodwill store.

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
I picked up a 1993 Topps Jeter rookie two weeks ago at a flea market for 50 cents.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
I found a Jennie Finch bobblehead last week, once found a 800 count box of mixed Bowman Chrome for $5--these were both thrift shops. I've learned you have a much better chance of finding sports items at garage sales and flea markets, they don't seem to turn up that often at thrift stores.

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
Wow excellent finds, I think you're right Meliah.... nowadays Thrift stores seem to do their homework. Any other stories out there...?

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
This wasn't me, unfortunately, but a few years ago (2011, maybe) some guy found two 70's era Orioles jerseys in a thrift store in Hayward, CA. Paid $1.50 each for them.

One was some scrub; the other was (supposedly) Earl Weaver's. The guy figures that even if they're copies, he didn't spend much for them. About a year later he takes the Weaver jersey to a show (FanFest, maybe?) where the Earl of Baltimore was signing. Walks up to Weaver, plunks down the jersey, tells him the story of how he acquired it, and asks if there's any way he can tell if it's the real thing.

Earl looks at it and says "Sure - is there a pocket on the inside for my smokes?"

They flip open the jersey and sure enough, there's a pack-sized pocket. Earl nods and says "Yup - that was mine." :cool:

I've been checking thrift stores ever since.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
This wasn't me, unfortunately, but a few years ago (2011, maybe) some guy found two 70's era Orioles jerseys in a thrift store in Hayward, CA. Paid $1.50 each for them.

One was some scrub; the other was (supposedly) Earl Weaver's. The guy figures that even if they're copies, he didn't spend much for them. About a year later he takes the Weaver jersey to a show (FanFest, maybe?) where the Earl of Baltimore was signing. Walks up to Weaver, plunks down the jersey, tells him the story of how he acquired it, and asks if there's any way he can tell if it's the real thing.

Earl looks at it and says "Sure - is there a pocket on the inside for my smokes?"

They flip open the jersey and sure enough, there's a pack-sized pocket. Earl nods and says "Yup - that was mine." :cool:

Good story:)

greatdadx2

5.00 star(s)

that is awesome

Sponsors