Best Yard Sale Ever!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Hey all,

I have to say, we had the best yard sale we have ever had this weekend, we made almost $1,000 between 6 families that placed items for sale! My wife and I hosted and made the most, which always is nice, not to sound mercenary, but when the thing is taking up your home and all your time for several days, its nice to have some summer family vacation money as a reward!

My other favorite part was getting lots of compliments on my Illini, Sports, and family travel (and children's artwork!!) walls in our garage. Each wall has a theme, and lots of people came in and commented. I said I don't collect any more, but love to have paintings from our children to hang on the walls. I use toploading sheet protectors and cut the three hole side off, and then put 4 little pieces of thick white mounting tape to affix them to the walls, and then slide the artwork in there, its a cool looking collage, wall size now!!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Rhubarb_Runner

5.00 star(s)
We too have gotten compliments on our garage walls. We learned long ago that it is a large, prominent location to display children's artwork. And it keeps the refrigerator clean ;)

congrats on the success

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Thanks friend, it is cool to know there is someone else out there who has the same vision for their garage walls!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
Getting ready for a community garage sale this weekend myself and the expectations are always low but we do it to connect with neighbors and make it a social event.

Congrats on pulling in some extra cash!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Thanks guys, we definitely enjoy cleaning out and enjoying family time unencumbered by "stuff" that clutters up our lives! Its also fun to see what gets sold and gives us extra cash for our family vacation this summer, great to look forward to!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Congrats on the successful sale. Going in with other families I am sure helped with the amount of prospective customers.

Speaking of garage sales, do any of you guys find many cards at them? For a few years cards were hard to find at these sales but around here garage sales are where a lot of people seem to dump their cards for a song. Do any of you find garage sales a great place to pick up cards these days? I've literally bought 5,000 count boxes full of cards (not 1952 Topps high numbers but not mass produced junk either) for less than I could buy the empty 5,000 count box for. And this happens more times than you would think too.

I'm just wondering if any of you have good luck picking up cards at garage sales these days for a bargain price? It really is a buyer's market here.

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
Not where I am, I get the 88 topps thrown in a shoe box or rubberband cards and they want $50, completely backwards where I live due to ignorance.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Congrats on the successful sale. Going in with other families I am sure helped with the amount of prospective customers.

Speaking of garage sales, do any of you guys find many cards at them? For a few years cards were hard to find at these sales but around here garage sales are where a lot of people seem to dump their cards for a song. Do any of you find garage sales a great place to pick up cards these days? I've literally bought 5,000 count boxes full of cards (not 1952 Topps high numbers but not mass produced junk either) for less than I could buy the empty 5,000 count box for. And this happens more times than you would think too.

I'm just wondering if any of you have good luck picking up cards at garage sales these days for a bargain price? It really is a buyer's market here.
That is about what we see here, I think a lot of people dont know what they have, but we have a facebook group that people post items for sale on, and often I see sports memorabilia at yard sales. A lot of times it is not signed stuff, but boxes of cards or framed photos of stadiums, athletes, jerseys, etc. Prices in our hometown are great in general, a lot of good stuff goes for cheap, but I will admit, we shop more for baby clothes these days than baseball cards!!

"Not where I am, I get the 88 topps thrown in a shoe box or rubberband cards and they want $50, completely backwards where I live due to ignorance."

Brian,

HILARIOUS QUOTE!! I have seen that too, we have two friends who are storing some stuff in our basement "temporarily until we find a bigger home" which has been the better part of 5 years now! Anyway, the husband has a box and binders of cards, mostly Barry Bonds and KG Jr. that he wants to sell for his childrens' college tuition. I hate to tell him he probably wont be able to buy a classes worth of books for everything, but what are you gonna do???

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
Brian,

HILARIOUS QUOTE!! I have seen that too, we have two friends who are storing some stuff in our basement "temporarily until we find a bigger home" which has been the better part of 5 years now! Anyway, the husband has a box and binders of cards, mostly Barry Bonds and KG Jr. that he wants to sell for his childrens' college tuition. I hate to tell him he probably wont be able to buy a classes worth of books for everything, but what are you gonna do???
Not much you can do, what irritates me is that when you try to educate someone on the status of the hobby and where the little money that is left in it is at, they think you are up to something funny like you are going to steal their cards away from them. They will find out eventually after they talk to enough people educated about it.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Very true, there are a few very valuable cards out there, but most that have a big name on them arent going to buy you a Mercedes!

I will pm you about Pete Rose!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
This area went through a lot of years where everyone seemed to be trying to sell their "!988 Topps" (the universal code word for "mass produced junk" LOL!) for an arm and a leg and now has morphed into Brian's scenario of most people realizing they are not in possession the the Hope Diamond and are just getting rid of their cards.

When cards were hot my particular area seemed afflicted with Card Fever where everyone was into cards and every one fancied themselves a dealer. Every small town had a card store and some had more than one. When the bottom dropped out of the card market most of these guys figured they would hold on to them until cards "made a comeback"........which they never did.

Now many of these guys still have the cards and their kids are not interested in them at all so they are just dumping them. There are so many sellers and so few buyers it is easy to walk away from what would have been great buys in the past. The nice thing is that you can buy a ton of cards here for practically nothing which brings the fun back to the hobby. Granted the cards are not 1952 Topps high numbers but they are not "1988 Topps" either. Garage sales have been a great way for me to accumulate nice trade bait and put together sets for a song. Heck, most all of my set want lists are from cards bought at sales like this since I have not bought a pack or box of cards since 1992!

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
This area went through a lot of years where everyone seemed to be trying to sell their "!988 Topps" (the universal code word for "mass produced junk" LOL!) for an arm and a leg and now has morphed into Brian's scenario of most people realizing they are not in possession the the Hope Diamond and are just getting rid of their cards.

When cards were hot my particular area seemed afflicted with Card Fever where everyone was into cards and every one fancied themselves a dealer. Every small town had a card store and some had more than one. When the bottom dropped out of the card market most of these guys figured they would hold on to them until cards "made a comeback"........which they never did.

Now many of these guys still have the cards and their kids are not interested in them at all so they are just dumping them. There are so many sellers and so few buyers it is easy to walk away from what would have been great buys in the past. The nice thing is that you can buy a ton of cards here for practically nothing which brings the fun back to the hobby. Granted the cards are not 1952 Topps high numbers but they are not "1988 Topps" either. Garage sales have been a great way for me to accumulate nice trade bait and put together sets for a song. Heck, most all of my set want lists are from cards bought at sales like this since I have not bought a pack or box of cards since 1992!
I'm happy that at least some of us out there 1) still love the hobby and 2) get to find some hidden treats out there in yard sale world because even if you're not finding '51 Mantles, much of it is still fun to find. New York would be a better place to find just about anything than where I am from (Backwoods, FL). Have fun!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I'm happy that at least some of us out there 1) still love the hobby and 2) get to find some hidden treats out there in yard sale world because even if you're not finding '51 Mantles, much of it is still fun to find. New York would be a better place to find just about anything than where I am from (Backwoods, FL). Have fun!
Agreed guys, I think it is fun to see what is out there, and it is definitely a buyers' market now! FUN is the key word in the hobby, as long as we are doing this for enjoyment and dont take it too seriously, then that is what it is all about. Reminds me of my childhood growing up with my Grandparents, and while life is awesome now, its fun to reminisce, and cards were a big part of all that.

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Sponsors