Biggest Sports Goofs.....

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Since it was supposed to be the start of The Masters tomorrow, have been watching Golf Channel a little more than normal. Last night caught a couple minutes on the Robert DiVencenzo debacle where he signed an incorrect scorecard and missed out on a playoff for a shot at winning The Masters. I have never seen a more dejected winner than Bob Goalby sitting there basically trying to process that he had just won on a technicality.

So that got me to thinking...what is the biggest sports goof you can remember?

The one that jumps out at me immediately is the Chris Webber timeout in the '93 championship game against North Carolina.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
2006 Olympic Winter sports! Lindsey Jacobellis is the favorite and near the finish line.....has a huge lead....when she tries to do a trick on the board and falls..allowing the person in second place to win! Best regards, David

Last edited:

metsman1986

5.00 star(s)
July 22, 1986, Mets @ Reds.........2 outs bottom 9 when Dave Parker nonchalantly tries to catch a routine fly and drops it allowing the Mets to tie the game..........New York would eventually win the game, in 14 innings, but a huge fight broke out when Ray Knight push Eric Davis of a base that he stole..........Both benches cleared..........It was amazing! Thanks Cobra........

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Leon Lett....is that the one where Dolphins try to kick a field goal and its blocked......and with about 5 or 6 Dolphin players around the football....Leon Lett drives for the football and touches it.....and the Dolphins recover the football in the end zone for a TD?

schmidtfan

5.00 star(s)
Leon Lett....is that the one where Dolphins try to kick a field goal and its blocked......and with about 5 or 6 Dolphin players around the football....Leon Lett drives for the football and touches it.....and the Dolphins recover the football in the end zone for a TD?

That was one of them. The other blunder he made was in a Super Bowl where he picked up a fumble and was about to run it in for a touchdown but slowed down to showboat and a Bill was able to strip it from behind for a touchback. The Cowboys still won the game though. Stinkin' Cowboys.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I can't remember his name but what about the guy who blew a 3 shot lead at the British Open on the 18th Hole

Jean Van de Velde -- that is a great one!

I remember one of the announcers said he would have been better off just using a putter on the 18th hole and he would have won it. About a month after the Open was over, Van de Velde went back to the course and teed off with a putter on 18 and made a double bogey, which would have won him the title. His caddy should have broken his driver in half walking from 17 green to 18 tee!

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
I'm shocked that the two recent blunders in the Super Bowls where the Falcons and Seahawks snatched defeat from the jaws of victory giving wins to the Patriots on both occasions.. Neither team has ever recovered from those coaching gaffes.

Another infamous blunder was Freddy Brown of Georgetown getting confused and throwing the ball to North Carolina's James Worthy in the final seconds costing the Hoyas a chance of winning the NCAA men's basketball championship. That was a jaw dropping mental error that rivals C-Web's ill fated time out.

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
Yep, that was at the Portland Beavers game at the old Civic Stadium. Loved that ball park. I use to watch Beaver games and Portland State Viking Football games there.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Home Run off of the head Jose Canseco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI

not so much as a goof, but it did come to mind
Rodney McCray Running through the fence
Met Rodney one day at the ballpark, great guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbxjzAPvC4g

Almost forgot about the Jose Canseco ball on the head and over the fence......now that was a good one!

Had completely forgotten about it as well...and it even had its own baseball card I believe?? Upper Deck in the early 90's?

That is why I started this thread up...for the great memories.

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
The original Miracle at the Meadowlands - Pisarcik fumbling the handoff and the ball bouncing into Herm Edwards' hands for the winning TD!