Blood Pressure Machines

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
You guys know those machines at wal mart and pharmacy's? Any idea of how accurate they are?

I have a history of off and on high blood pressure. Its normaly nothing major, little meds gets it down. And once my stress levels drop I normally get taken off the meds after a period of time. However, last August I pulled my groin and went to the ER in fear of a testicular twist. When they checked me in they took me off the blood pressure test and the doc was in within seconds. My blood pressure was at 202/186. I had no idea how serious it was. Thats one reason I left the job I had at the time. They drove you crazy it is a really messed up place to work. Anyways I got it under controll and all was good. But yesterday at my new job. Which Im sure some of you read about. I got sent home early, I just couldnt lift a pallet any more. When I got home and cleaned up my chest was thumping and I noticed my skin was very warm. I took it easy and today while shopping for school supplies I sat down at one of those machines. It read out 186/109, not as bad as before, but still no walk in the park. Especially with my grandfathers history of heart problems.

Now Im wondering how accurate are those machines. Is this high level a direct result of just how physical my new job is. I cannot afford to quit with 2 car payments, rent, and child support among others. Then again at the same time, what good will it do me if I have a stroke at work or anywhere for that matter. I dont know if Im over thinking it making it worse, or if I have a real reason to be concerned. All I know is I want to be a Dad, and I want to continue to coach my son who's already asked when does tee ball start back. Maybe I should look for a job stocking shelfs at wal mart or something.

What do you guys think? I dont have a doctor and I dont have insurance. So a doctors opinion could be one I just cant afford right now.

Droubaysports

5.00 star(s)
They are not accurate at all. call your doctor and get an accurate reading or go to the er and tell thenm you have chest pain

jimmyharcar

5.00 star(s)
I dont think they are the most accurate. See if someone has a home tester to use. If it gets worse, try and find a way if at all to see someone about it. I know it must b tough without insurance, though.

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
Anything in the 130's is borderline hypertension, so you are in serious danger zone! If you can't relieve the stress you can lessen the other risks, cut out smoking and watch your sodium intake. Take an asprin each day as that will thin out your blood so it's less likely to clot in your bloodstream. 32 is young for a stroke, but we thought my wife was young too when she had her stroke at 51 last year even though she was on medication and caught us completely by surprise.

roxy

5.00 star(s)
I take the CVS test when I have to wait on my wife. I've always been skeptical
but I've been surprised that they aren't too far off then what my readings are at the doctor's office. However I've never had high blood pressure.

Roxy

benob1knob

5.00 star(s)
I am not a medical doctor but am a pharmacist with a doctorate degree in pharmacy. The blood pressure machines are not accurate as they have been tampered with by kids and adults alike. A lot of the pharmacies have taken them out because of the inaccuracy. With a family history of heart problems, I would advise that you take your blood pressure meds ALL the time. You would need to watch your diet, especially the sodium (or salt) and fat content in your food. Since you have a lot of stress, try to do some stress-reducing physical activity (walking, anything to stay off the couch and out of bed) and relaxation techniques (breathing exercises). You do need to be in the care of a regular doctor who would be monitoring you. I do not know what is available in your state for the uninsured but check with your local, county, or state social services. I will pray for good health and that all will work out for you. PM me if you have any further questions or anything. Take care and keep me posted....

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
Thanks guys, Ive thought about contacting my grandfather to see if he has one of the home testers. The only hesitation on this is that I dont want to get him worried. He's at a point with his heart where its just a matter of time. There is nothing else they can do for him but to keep him comfortable. And he's flushed 90% of his pain meds down the toilet afraid of addiction. My grandfather is a retired pastor. He still teach's but only bible study groups. Me Im the black sheep, the Josh Hamilton of the family, tattoos and all. I am sober, but I smoke like a frieght train.

I really appreciate everyones reply's & suggestions. Sometimes these forums are a great way to get some insight without getting your family all worried and concerned in the early stages.

O

oldmarine0311

YEA see if you can get a home tester at your pharmacy they usually arent to spendy. and that way you can test your own pressure at home and then keep track of the numbers. but most importantly is "you know" quit smoking. its not easy, i had to do it too, but you have an added incentive that i dont... you son... check some of the local churches for classes on quitting smoking, i had a good friend that was successful with a class offered by the local sevent day adventist church, may not be your cup of tea but they sure try to help anyone out that they can, at least around here. and ask your county health office if there are any classses for smoking cesseon around too.

good luck.

dave

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
My father stops in every now and then at the local firehouse for a blood pressure check. As long as someone qualified is there they're more than happy to do it. Maybe one near you will do that too ?

Sponsors