Board Games

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
My grandmother taught me how to play cards and we also played many board games when I was a kid. Now that my oldest son is old enough we have really been enjoying breaking out the board games and having game nights. Been having a blast playing the classics and also playing many new ones as well. I noticed I really like the "older" version of Life over the newer one, Operation has many different versions now including a Hulk and Minions and Monopoly still takes forever:)

Had a friend growing up whose mom always managed to find the most obscure games at raffles and garage sales. Forgot most of the names but I recall a Guinness Book of Records board game, an electronic Deep Sea Diving Treasure game and some weird art auction game.

Right now been playing mostly Monopoly, Life, Operation, Candyland and some other kid learning type games. Can't wait to break out Risk and Stratego!

Which games did you love playing as a kid? Can you remember any really odd ones? Which games caused the most fights to break out?:)

rotorob

5.00 star(s)
My grandmother taught me how to play cards and we also played many board games when I was a kid. Now that my oldest son is old enough we have really been enjoying breaking out the board games and having game nights. Been having a blast playing the classics and also playing many new ones as well. I noticed I really like the "older" version of Life over the newer one, Operation has many different versions now including a Hulk and Minions and Monopoly still takes forever:)

Had a friend growing up whose mom always managed to find the most obscure games at raffles and garage sales. Forgot most of the names but I recall a Guinness Book of Records board game, an electronic Deep Sea Diving Treasure game and some weird art auction game.

Right now been playing mostly Monopoly, Life, Operation, Candyland and some other kid learning type games. Can't wait to break out Risk and Stratego!

Which games did you love playing as a kid? Can you remember any really odd ones? Which games caused the most fights to break out?:)

Great topic.

I loved Sorry, Life, Battleship, Parcchisi, and Masterpiece (spelling) as a kid. Grew to like Monopoly (by far the most fights), Risk, Outburst and a few others.

Axis and Allies and Ticket to Ride are current favorites.

For card games an out of print one that has some similarities to Uno is King's Court, my favorite card game of all time.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else!

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Perfect topic....

Currently playing - Connect Four, Sorry, Chutes/Ladders, , Battleship, Trouble, Scrabble Jr. and Cross Over the Bridge more than anything. We play Risk and Life on the computer and Monopoly and Stratego are not to far in the future. If anyone remembers Dungeon Dice - we just rescued that out of my parents basement.

As a kid - Monopoly, Payday, Risk, Stratego, Battleship were the main ones. Another one..I think it was called MasterMind, where you would guess the color and order of 4 colored pins in 10 guesses or less.

Didn't think anyone else had heard of Milles Bournes, but that has been a beach staple for years in my family. Tri-ominoes is also a fun one that we are starting to incorporate into the rotation.

Also Axis/Allies - LOVE that game and all the associated war style board games with dice and odds, etc.

Quick Edit - forgot about Clue, another one rescued out of the parents basement.

cdahlk2001

5.00 star(s)
Kid games I loved..... Stop thief was great! Also Mad game. From the old magizine what me worry? That was fun. Pac man! With the marbles. Loved that. Payday and life was fun.

bluewatertrader

5.00 star(s)
Perfect topic....

Currently playing - Connect Four, Sorry, Chutes/Ladders, , Battleship, Trouble, Scrabble Jr. and Cross Over the Bridge more than anything. We play Risk and Life on the computer and Monopoly and Stratego are not to far in the future. If anyone remembers Dungeon Dice - we just rescued that out of my parents basement.

As a kid - Monopoly, Payday, Risk, Stratego, Battleship were the main ones. Another one..I think it was called MasterMind, where you would guess the color and order of 4 colored pins in 10 guesses or less.

Didn't think anyone else had heard of Milles Bournes, but that has been a beach staple for years in my family. Tri-ominoes is also a fun one that we are starting to incorporate into the rotation.

Also Axis/Allies - LOVE that game and all the associated war style board games with dice and odds, etc.

Quick Edit - forgot about Clue, another one rescued out of the parents basement.

No what's funny I thought I was the only person besides the person(s) I used to play with who ever heard of and played the game

Trishlp

5.00 star(s)
Life, Connect Four, Pay Day, Boggle, Trivia Pursuit, Hungry, Hungry Hippos, Clue all were staples in my house growing up. We played Monopoly, Risk and Scrabble but not as often as the others. I can remember Saturday nights in my room playing boggle with my mom and listening to oldies music.

Great topic Matt!

Boots

5.00 star(s)
We played Monopoly (until we got bored; anyone remember the "shortcut" version?), Life, Risk, and Clue the most. In cards, War was the biggie.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Wow, can't believe I forgot Sorry and Trouble..great games.

My mom got us a game called Qwirkle for Christmas and it's really fun.

Digging in my closet I found my Viking Adventure game, bet many have not even heard of that one:)

t.rooster

5.00 star(s)
I loved Trouble, then Stratego later and finally Back Gammon. We also had an electric football game, you remember the low tech version where you lined the players on your team up and turned the game on and they moved on the vibration that the game made?

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
We also had an electric football game, you remember the low tech version where you lined the players on your team up and turned the game on and they moved on the vibration that the game made?

I have two of them in my closet, along with about 6-8 teams worth of players. As a kid, I had notebooks filled with statistics for every game I played. My son is starting to ask about them, so it might be time to bring them out of retirement.