Brand new photos of brand new customs!! Check them out!!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Hello friends,

In an effort to revitalize the Bench and bring back the gold old days, I am starting a thread of customs that i have created. I love doing these, and have really enjoyed it over the years.

This started with my pickiness about signatures and placement on cards. So many cards either dont look great signed or blue sharpie disappears on a dark background. When I started ttm collecting in 1992, I just sent out whatever to whoever and was thrilled with the results. I still love getting an envelope back in the mail, I mean, who the heck doesn't? I just love getting my own creations back signed even more!

I am working on several right now, and have many from the past, so here we go, baby!!

I went to Cooperstown with my two best friends last June, and made some vintage HOF customs as a result...

Here are some framed displays with my photos of the HOF plaques from Cooperstown along with items signed by Ryno, Ripken, and Rollie!!

I met Lou Brock back during All Star summer in STL in 2009. He is a very kind man, and I am excited to be able to get our photo from that summer framed up with a signature!

Bobby Doerr:

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
A few Celtics....

Dennis Johnson, Jo Jo White, Jim Loscutoff, and Don Nelson. Not my cleanest efforts, working with signed index cards is so much easier than photos! I did these in 2016, I have learned a few things since then about the designs I use!!

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
My littlest son loves planets, outer space, and astronauts, so I collected some for him, these were the extras that I made custom cuts out of!

This custom is from shuttle astronauts Mike Foreman and Scott Altman, dual signed. The photo next to it is my own photography, of the Liberty Bell 7, which was piloted by Gus Grissom. The photo is signed by his widow, Mrs. Betty Grissom, who passed shortly after she signed for me.

These I just framed and matted today, they are from Clancy Hatleberg, the Navy frontman who rescued Neil, Buzz, and Mike from the ocean after Apollo 11 splashed down upon reentry, 51 years ago last month!

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
My middle son is a Star Wars mega fan, in his words!!

This was my first custom Star Wars card, which I sold and paid for most of the rest of these, supplies, ink, postage (a lot of these performers live in the UK). Our son just loves these, it was well worth it!

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I just finished this project as I ran out of wall space! The Golden Era Boys of Brooklyn, those great Dodgers!!

** New addition: Johnny Podres, one of the best pitchers not in the Hall of Fame! The photo I used on this card is from Cooperstown, as there is a statue of Johnny pitching to Roy Campanella in the garden outside the Hall! My 2 best friends and I travelled there last June, and had a blast!

4 more great Dodgers, thanks to my friend Scobes!

Gene Hermanski, who suggested that all the Dodgers start wearing #42 so Jackie Robinson wouldnt be singled out! Loved this photo, and had to add the 42 jersey. This may be my favorite custom I have ever made, showing his signature as an older man, a true class act, and a part of history!

Eddie Basinski, with a beautiful signature:

Bob Ramazzotti, a Dodger first, then a Cub!

Jack Banta, another one of Jackie's teammates!

And, a gift from my dear friend who I went to Cooperstown with last summer! The card is very awesome, so I designed this front to match the rest of the Brooklyn's Best cards, which is not permanently attached to the card, it just slides in and out of the toploader when I want to change the look! I also had to add this quote, as he was the greatest!

Some more of those great Dodgers!! Brooklyn's Best series!

George Cisar, from the 1937 and 38 teams! He is the oldest old timer in this series!

Ken Lehman:

Boyd Bartley, what a great name!

Bobby Bragan:

Jackie Collum, who played the last season at Ebbets and the first season at Dodger Stadium:

And one of my favorite custom cards I have ever made, just love the way this one ended up! 1947 was a very special season, as Jackie Robinson broke the barrier that season, and the Dodgers brought the pennant home to Brooklyn! Eddie Chandler memorialized that great season with his inscription on this beauty:

Thanks to my friend Scobes for another great lot of awesome 3x5s! Really happy with all of these!!

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
So, I am Kevin Christopher, K.C. for short, so have been a Royals mega-fan for my whole life! Here are some great Royals (and some other K.C. royalty!)

Bo Jackson:

Ned Yost, who finally brought home the ship in 2015!!

My all-time favorite Royal, Mike Sweeney:

Jack McKeon, another favorite of mine!

Bobby Knoop:

Ted Savage:

Willie Mays Aikens, a real success story!

Mark Gubicza, one of the all time great Royals pitchers, and a TTM legend!!

Al is such a nice man in real life, I have had the opportunity to collaborate with him many times as part of the Fredbird school program, and he always signs graciously for me, and compliments my customs! He even bought me lunch once, such a class act!

This one is a custom made from another custom! It was a duplicate card, and I made this new front and did a cut signature out of it! I actually ended up liking this one better than the original!

Don Larsen, a K.C. Athletic for a few seasons, but that still counts!!

Last edited:

Scobes

5.00 star(s)
Kevin -

They look great! I can't wait to see the others. I'll have to dig around and see if I have any more ICs for you.

Scobes

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Kevin -

They look great! I can't wait to see the others. I'll have to dig around and see if I have any more ICs for you.

Scobes

Awesome! I am mostly collecting vintage baseball, but do love Da Bears! I am framing the Tom Waddle with a photo, that is going to be a slightly longer project, I am getting frames and mats today!!

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Those of you who know me know that I love the Golden Era of baseball, the old timers, the classic game from years gone by...evoking memories of another time. I especially love the great Negro Leagues players, as my middle son and I visited the Museum in K.C. several years ago. Here are some of the late great legends:

Buck Leonard:

Cool Papa Bell, my personal favorite!

This framed display is a card and photo from Ray Dandridge, the photo coming from last summer's Cooperstown pilgrimage!

My dear friend who I travelled to Cooperstown with just gave me this card with the great Judy Johnson's autograph, I just framed and matted yesterday evening!

These are designs I love, Ernest Fann, Bill Greason, and Eugene Scruggs...each got them back to me super quickly!!

Reverend Greason is a WWII vet, and was on Iwo Jima. He is also a pastor in Birmingham Alabama, and is at a church where Dr. King preached in the 50s and 60s!

Eugene Scruggs played for Detroit, so I included the cityscape as his background. This is another custom from a custom, as it was a duplicate, and I made a new front and created a cut signature card out of it!

Here is some info about the first Black players on each MLB team, provided by the Negro League Museum:

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
I also love the League of Their Own, the great and classy ladies of the AAGPBL! Here is Jean Faut, one of the great pitchers:

Dottie Schroeder, a lovely lady of the AAGPBL! This photo is in Cooperstown!

Just got this one this week! Betsy "Sockem" Jochum, one of the greatest hitters in the League's history!

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
These are so awesome and so well done. If you ever decide to part with the Feller keep me in mind. : )

Thanks for the compliments my friend, truly appreciated! I will keep you in mind, I just finished that one, and will keep for a while, but may be open to selling in the future! I am flattered that you like my work so much, it started out as me being picky about where players signed on cards, and having a hard time finding things signed that I liked. So doing customs and cut signatures gives me the ability to make whatever I want, to my own satisfaction. Knowing that people enjoy these is just icing on the cake!

If you have anything you would like me to turn into a custom for you (signed index cards, paper, album pages, etc.), just let me know, glad to do so!

God bless,

Kevin

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Kevin
those are amazing you do terrific work and i am simply in awe of them quick story for you the ones you have of dick groat are his dad and my dad were very good friends in the little town where i grew up dick you to take my borthers and me to game sometimes and we got to sit in the dugout once in awhile to watch warm ups he was also a great basketball player and back in the 50,s he played both as a pro with the pirates in mlb and fort wayne pistons in the nba
thanks again for the great work you do
later
tom