Braves Add Star Outfielder

Jeb67

5.00 star(s)
Braves and former Orioles outfielder Nick Markakis have apparently agreed on a 4 year contract.

pmanningsfan73

5.00 star(s)
Good for the Braves! Markakis is a pretty decent player on defensively & offensively being a 2-time GG winner & hitting double digit HRs in all 9 years of his career. Couldn't pick a better player to fill the hole they made by trading Heyward earlier.

Last edited:

Rabs

5.00 star(s)
Go for the Braves! Markakis is a pretty decent player on defensively & offensively being a 2-time GG winner & hitting double digit HRs in all 9 years of his career. Couldn't pick a better player to fill the hole they made by trading Heyward earlier.

Well put. He and Heyward are similar type players and Markakis is a contact guy the Braves desperately need.

Jeb67

5.00 star(s)
Yeah, filled a big hole in right field.But still likely Justin Upton and/or Evan Gattis gets moved soon.

Rabs

5.00 star(s)
Yeah, filled a big hole in right field.But still likely Justin Upton and/or Evan Gattis gets moved soon.

I'd rather see Gattis go than Upton. Gattis seems like a great fit for a DH, and we have Bethancourt ready to take over at catcher. But losing Heyward and Upton in the same off season would be really rough.

Jeb67

5.00 star(s)
Remember the Braves are set to move into a new stadium so clearing payroll this year will help in future.Depends on how the Braes see the next couple of years.But overall will still have a good team.

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
What's wrong with that?
I believe his numbers are already starting to dip somewhat. His previous two years were significantly less productive than his earlier years. His OPS in 2014 and 2013 were .685 and .729 while his career OPS is .793. I don't see him getting any younger.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Remember the Braves are set to move into a new stadium so clearing payroll this year will help in future.Depends on how the Braes see the next couple of years.But overall will still have a good team.

Unless I missed a move this off season (entirely possible), won't they still have BJ Uptons contract on the books? Which is probably the worst one on the team.

And agree with Jaybo - 4 years for Markakis, depending on how the contract is structured, seems like a bit of overkill.

Rabs

5.00 star(s)
Unless I missed a move this off season (entirely possible), won't they still have BJ Uptons contract on the books? Which is probably the worst one on the team.

And agree with Jaybo - 4 years for Markakis, depending on how the contract is structured, seems like a bit of overkill.

Yes BJ is the biggest waste of money right now.