BSL 2.0 - how trading and trade challenges will work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Obviously we have a bit different approach this time around given we all have the responsibility of rosters/lineups. This is all pending how things end up working out, but is the standing policy for this moment.

Trades will be posted in the trade forum as always. Basic rules:

-BOTH team names in title

Simple text inside...

Team A trades POSITION / FULL NAME, POSITION / FULL NAME
to
Team B trades POSITION / FULL NAME, POSITION / FULL NAME

Then post it up. The OTHER team MUST confirm the trade before the deadline for the next sim. Nick (or I if helping out) will NOT approve any trade that does not have the full names and positions for EACH player involved from at least one of the owners. If one owner is lazy posting it, the other needs to clarify. Don't make us sort through rosters for John Smith or Tom Rodriguez, there may be 3 in the league.

Once the trade is accepted by the league office, the post will be locked. Keep in mind once the trade is locked, it cannot be reversed by ONE party, but only an agreement from both teams.

Trades will be processed the very END (not the beginning as originally planned) of a simulation, so the next team will have access to that player. (this keeps players playing the whole season, not sitting out 14 days doing nothing on DFA) This means that players can and will get hurt in the two-week time frame leading up to a trade going through. If a player is injured during that time, the accepting team has the RIGHT TO VOID the trade (consider it failing a physical). Once the sim takes place, you can go in, move the players to your active roster / minors and set your lineup. There is NO LIMIT on the amount of trades you can make at this time.

As a last note before discussing review, keep in mind there are two new in-game rules that affect trading.
1. First-Year rookies are NOT allowed to be traded. They must accrue one year of pro service.
2. Veterans have the 5/10 rule. Any player with 5 years of pro service with the same team OR 10 years pro service in general has the right to refuse a trade.

If a player refuses a trade for any reason, the entire trade will be scrapped.

TRADE REVIEW will be the same as the old BSL. The commissioner and both league presidents will form the 'trade committee'. ANY team can challenge a trade by PM'ing the commissioner. The PM needs to include a well-thought out argument why the trade is lopsided.

The commissioner can also contact the teams, but is not required to. It is recommended the involved teams message the commissioner with their 'argument/rebuttal' towards getting the trade passed.

The commissioner then talks with the presidents where they argue for an against the trade. It is a simple majority vote. 3-0, 2-1 passes the trade, 1-2, 0-3 dissolves the trade.

I created this method and FOR THE MOST PART it worked out well. No one has submitted a better method in a majority setting, so this is where we are at this point. Please keep all trade challenges to a minimum...only questionable deals should be challenged to save ALL parties involved, including the officers, time.

I am NOT going to serve on the trade committee. They are more than welcome to PM me for advice on a specific trade, but I will NOT hold a vote at any point.

Cory

Last edited:
Understand loud and clear. Just checking n the following.

If I call someone up from the minors they can not be traded.
We can still trade prospects for MLB players as long they have played any service time?

Understand loud and clear. Just checking n the following.

If I call someone up from the minors they can not be traded.
We can still trade prospects for MLB players as long they have played any service time?

It's not MLB service time, but pro service time.

Meaning, players drafted in June cannot be traded until they have earned 1 year of pro service, which is at any level major or minor league.

The rule is in place to stop teams from trading players they just drafted that year.

Once they have accrued one service year, they can be traded as usual. You can access the information on each player's individual player page.

Example: Marlon Anderson 2B
Major Service: 8 Years, 79 Days
Service This Yr: None
40-Man Service: 9 Years, 143 Days
Pro Service: 11 Years

MLB Service (time of 25 man active roster: 8+ years)
Service this year (none, we have had no games for 2007)
40-man service (time on 40-man roster---all 25 man time + any minor league time on protected roster)
Pro Service: Time in minors or majors....starts accruing the minute they are drafted.

Cory

Thanks Cory,
That makes perfect sense to me. I like the rule changes It will help teams hold talent as I was definatley quick to pull the trigger when trading my prospects.

Thanks Cory,
That makes perfect sense to me. I like the rule changes It will help teams hold talent as I was definatley quick to pull the trigger when trading my prospects.

You were not the only one!

Everyone needs to be more aware of 'team control' years for young players. A player straight out of the draft costs NOTHING until he is on the 40-man roster. Once he's up, he still earns the MINIMUM for at least 2, usually 3 years. That is 440,000. A HUGE savings over even arbitration eligible players. The majority of players are not THAT expensive in arbitration, so even then, that's 3-4 MORE years of team control without an outrageous long-term deal.

Once people understand a player they draft, THEY CONTROL for 5-6 years and it is financially attractive to keep them around, then the league will play out much more realistically...there are always exceptions. A horrible team with a superstar prospect and NOTHING else could move him for package of mid-tier players with potential, etc. That makes sense. Trading your 1st and 4th rounders for a 34 year old overpaid veteran does NOT except in a rare case where you are contending and lose someone for the season, etc. Not to mention, trading away young SUPERSTARS is killer on your fan interest.

That goes without saying, the big-spending teams will always be able to sign more of the free agents....the good thing is that the game does draft pick compensation, etc so there are some checks and balances.

Example:

My MR Joba Chamberlain.

Major Service: None, None
Service This Yr: None
40-Man Service: None, None
Pro Service: None

He is on the active roster, so he'll accrue Major "active 25-man" service, service this year, 40-man service (you have to be on the 40-man to be on the active 25-man roster, plus his 'pro service' will accrue.

He has no pro service and is a true rookie. This means I can't trade him for at least 1 year as he hasn't even played in the minors for one season.

He will cost me 440k this year. 440k year two. If he's top 17% in his rookie class, he may be eligible for early arbitration in year three (super two status), but the other 83% cost 440k in year three. Arbitration is in year 4, 5, and 6. (if super-two, arb in year 3,4,5,6). After his 6th year, if I have not extended him beyond that season and paid arbitration each offseason, he would be an unrestricted free agent and free to sign with anyone.

The point of 'team control' is that I control where he is for 6 years no matter what. I have the choice to keep paying him each year by year, trade him, offer him a long-term extension. The bottom line is, I control Joba's destiny for 6 years and the other teams have little if any influence on it.

Last edited:
The only thing I would add to what Cory is saying is that anytime you have a player who is arbitration eligible, and you think he will demand and win a larger salary than you want to allot to him, you can "non-tender" him making him an immediate unrestricted free agent. I saw way too many people keep a player who took them to arbitration and beat them, remember, a player can only take a pay cut through this process of 20%.

I think my thread on Excess Value is still accessable, it would make a good read for those that want to understand the financial aspects of this type of baseball.

The only thing I would add to what Cory is saying is that anytime you have a player who is arbitration eligible, and you think he will demand and win a larger salary than you want to allot to him, you can "non-tender" him making him an immediate unrestricted free agent. I saw way too many people keep a player who took them to arbitration and beat them, remember, a player can only take a pay cut through this process of 20%.

I think my thread on Excess Value is still accessable, it would make a good read for those that want to understand the financial aspects of this type of baseball.

Also, OOTP12 allows a team to see the annual figure a player is wanting and then, at that point, the team can non-tender, match demand, OR counter with a lower number (which then sets them off for the arbiter to decide).

Which, if I am thinking correctly, a class A or B player that is non-tendered should net a draft pick, but I am not 100% certain in this specific scenario regarding the game we use.

Also, OOTP12 allows a team to see the annual figure a player is wanting and then, at that point, the team can non-tender, match demand, OR counter with a lower number (which then sets them off for the arbiter to decide).

Which, if I am thinking correctly, a class A or B player that is non-tendered should net a draft pick, but I am not 100% certain in this specific scenario regarding the game we use.

Real baseball requires a player to be offered arbitration to qualify for compensation draft picks. Of course most players go to free agency after their contracts are up and have 6 years of MLB service rather than accept arbitration.

Real baseball requires a player to be offered arbitration to qualify for compensation draft picks. Of course most players go to free agency after their contracts are up and have 6 years of MLB service rather than accept arbitration.

I realize that, but in the situation where a team has player control (prior to 6 years) if they non-tender a player to free agency, is there compensation awarded to the previous team?

I realize that, but in the situation where a team has player control (prior to 6 years) if they non-tender a player to free agency, is there compensation awarded to the previous team?

No. Since offering arbitration is a requirement for compensation, a team by non-tendering fails to meet this requirement. In real life the Braves two years ago failed to offer arbitration to Kelly Johnson, probably because they felt he would get too much money and they had a Martin Prado in the wings, this is a perfect illustration for why our teams should consider non-tenders, but in cutting him loose the Braves didn't receive compensation and the Diamondbacks didn't have to lose a pick. To those players a team might lose to free agency because they have 6+ years of MLB experience, some older players teams will shy from even offering arbitration neccessary for that compensation pick, because the one year offer based upon production and prior season's pay might be too tempting for the player to pass up.

No. Since offering arbitration is a requirement for compensation, a team by non-tendering fails to meet this requirement. In real life the Braves two years ago failed to offer arbitration to Kelly Johnson, probably because they felt he would get too much money and they had a Martin Prado in the wings, this is a perfect illustration for why our teams should consider non-tenders, but in cutting him loose the Braves didn't receive compensation and the Diamondbacks didn't have to lose a pick. To those players a team might lose to free agency because they have 6+ years of MLB experience, some older players teams will shy from even offering arbitration neccessary for that compensation pick, because the one year offer based upon production and prior season's pay might be too tempting for the player to pass up.

I figured that was the case since the team giving up it's control of the player in that situation shouldn't be rewarded for doing so, but I was not 100% on it.

Thanks James.

This has been slightly modified since I originally posted it.

Trades will be processed the very END (not the beginning as originally planned) of a simulation, so the next team will have access to that player. (this keeps players playing the whole season, not sitting out 14 days doing nothing on DFA) This means that players can and will get hurt in the two-week time frame leading up to a trade going through. If a player is injured during that time, the accepting team has the RIGHT TO VOID the trade (consider it failing a physical). Once the sim takes place, you can go in, move the players to your active roster / minors and set your lineup. There is NO LIMIT on the amount of trades you can make at this time.