BSL - financial warning for certain franchises...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Just looking at the numbers at the quarter-season mark.

If a team has over 10 mil cash on hand, I won't mention them unless they are bleeding money really badly.

If a team has a green budget but is still very short on cash I will mention them.

Cash on hand references the "Balance" column in the financial overview box. It includes all revenue (gate, cash, media) minus expenses.

THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY TRADES/MOVES made for the Thursday 3/1 deadline!

Arizona - caution on the budget, but looks under control.

Boston - 4.7 mil cash on hand, bleeding -3.3 mil budget. A bit of salary out the door will take care of it.

Chicago (A) - watch the low cash on hand. Budget is right at the brink.

Chicago (N) - bleeding negative budget, low cash on hand. Fixable if you move out some salary.

Cleveland - bleeding negative budget, low cash on hand. Fixable if you move out some salary.

Detroit - budget is barely negative. Only issue is the cash reserves are very low so watch carefully.

Los Angeles (N) - huge negative budget. Low cash, with a very quick drop off with that negative spending. Cut salary and soon.

Los Angeles (A) - same as Dodgers but half as bad.

New York (N) - bleeding negative budget (barely), low cash on hand. Fixable if you move out some salary.

Philadelphia - negative projected (barely), low cash on hand.

Pittsburgh - same as Philly.

Seattle - negative projected (substantial), but plenty of cash. I would move out some salary to square it off.

St Louis - same as Seattle except more negative

Texas - negative projected, and our only current-bankrupt team. It has improved substantially from where you were. I would still cut the payroll a bit more and hope your attendance stays up.

Dodgers and Rangers have the worst situation, with about 6 teams right behind them. Over half the league is going to have financial problems this season. If you need help figuring out what to do, feel free to PM me.

As a reminder, revenue is generated by 1. Getting fans in the seats (winning/player popularity/etc) and then 2. PRICING TICKETS CORRECTLY. You can adjust ticket prices every sim. If your selling out every game, raise the price a bit and see if they keep selling out. The difference in cash is SUBSTANTIAL. If your team is stinking it up and you can't get people in the seats...LOWER the price...trade for popular players. You cannot make any money if you don't have people watching your team.

I would also encourage people to look at their 2008 projected budgets. It's never too early to start planning ahead and looking to next year. Not sure how everyone else looks, but my owner is cutting my budget by 26 million -what a cheapskate!

My 2007 budget is $80 million and 2008 projected budget is just $54 million. My 2008 projected payroll is already $64 million so needless to say, I have some work to do to get under budget in the off season (if not before). I can let a few arb. eligible guys go, but it will still take some work.

Hopefully nobody gets blindsided by this so it might help to take a look at Projected 2008 Budget in your Front Office page if you haven't yet.

Eric

I would also encourage people to look at their 2008 projected budgets. It's never too early to start planning ahead and looking to next year. Not sure how everyone else looks, but my owner is cutting my budget by 26 million -what a cheapskate!

My 2007 budget is $80 million and 2008 projected budget is just $54 million. My 2008 projected payroll is already $64 million so needless to say, I have some work to do to get under budget in the off season (if not before). I can let a few arb. eligible guys go, but it will still take some work.

Hopefully nobody gets blindsided by this so it might help to take a look at Projected 2008 Budget in your Front Office page if you haven't yet.

Eric

Good point Eric and a question for Nick and Cory. My projected budget for next year is only 81 mil. I dont see any way to get to that level. How serious should we take this projection at this stage of this season. My attendence is up from last year, and are now playing very good ball. I guess I dont know how this many teams are going to get rid of this many Hi salary players when only a few teams can take any salary at all. Any ideas from the gurus on this? I agree with Cory that the "imaginary " players salaries are really gumming up the works, but also the stupid contracts the cpu gave a lot of real players that are hard to dump. Thanks Pat

I'm kind of hoping that my owner will increase the budget for next year if I can be strong in the green this year. Not sure how that works though - if it ever changes.

Also, my team was in the red last year in the SIM world so I have zero cash. That gives me no money at all to sign a single contract extension. Instead, I'll be waiving goodbye to Rafael Furcal, Jose Castro and other good players just to try to keep my franchise from going bankrupt. Now I know how the real small market teams feel!

On top of that, I have ZERO prospects in the top 100 so it's not allowing me to dump salary and include a prospect with it. Just have to hope I can convince my owner to give me some $$$, I guess.

Enough belly-aching though. It's time for me to get to work and win some games! That's the best solution!

Eric

Last edited:
I have made some financial changes, I will be posting the league update thread ina bout 20 Minutes with more info.

Based on this being the first season in the new software, we are all gonna have to scramble a little, but hopefully the changes that COry and I talked about tonight and that I have implemented before the final day of the sim will make some minor relief for the 07 season.

I helped the Pirates and Rangers out this sim, but I am
now tapped out and hope that a couple other wealth teams
can lend a helping hand.

Eric

I would not put too much into the estimated budgets for next year until we get a bit more feedback on how they work in this version.

Whats the difference between fan interest and fan loyalty?

Angels fan loyalty is great
Angels fan interest is 70

I guess my ticket prices are ok ($19.99) Home attendance is 42,664

Whats the difference between fan interest and fan loyalty?

Angels fan loyalty is great
Angels fan interest is 70

I guess my ticket prices are ok ($19.99) Home attendance is 42,664

Fan interest is how many people show up to watch ball and pay what you're asking.

Fan loyalty is how long they will continue to do with negative factors (losing, high prices, etc)

Man i wish I didn't let those players go I really screwed myself It's probably gonna be a few years till I get my team straight

The 10-mil 'stimulus' Nick provided everyone does NOT fix anyone's issues. It merely delays bankruptcy. If your projected budget is negative, you will still bleed cash every day simulated. The only FIX to a budget is to make money each sim, which involves getting more fans in the seats or BETTER, reducing payroll further.

Cory

Back