BSL Modifications for 2024 Season (Pending)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Proposed changes sound good to me. I like the one about stadium renovations - might be able to put some of that cash to adding a couple thousand more seats so we can pack in more fans per game!

Bringing back Type A sounds good, too. I thought about a WAR rule, like maybe most recent 3 years or something. Seems like some 5-star guys might have a down year so it would make sense to use something more than the most recent year's WAR. However, older guys that have declining skills might be over-valued when looking at historical WAR they provided. Not sure if there's a good solution there.

Maybe just do something like looking at 3-5 star rated guys (actual stars, not potential). These seem to be the guys that are tough to replace in free agency. Or maybe it's just a manual process like you mentioned since I'm sure there would be exceptions to that kind or rule, too. I always liked how the first half of the draft had their first round picks protected so hopefully that will continue.

I can't think of anything really new to suggest. I thought more wealth distribution on the luxury tax to help out the smaller market teams, but most of them are flush with cash so I'm not sure that money is a real issue to a lot of teams in the league.

Seems like a lot of teams are running out of ways to spend money. I guess we'll just end up spending more on extensions and free agents - like that deal that Juan Cabrera got a couple years ago. I actually thought there would be 5-6 teams in position to make that kind of deal, given the amount of cash a lot of teams have. Problem is that there just aren't that many guys coming into the league each year commanding that much $. Free agent pools have been pretty weak the last few years. Maybe more of the talented minor league players will keep emerging and salaries will go up in the coming years.

Eric

Cory, is it possible to add another wild card team to each league and have the play in game like the ML does now? Not sure if you can but it might keep a little more interest at the end of the seasons. With Heath done trading by Mid April next season it will get a little boring for many teams. Thanks Pat

+1. Definitely would like to see this happen if possible.

I have a suggestion... can we look at allowing the 2nd team owners to manually draft for their 2nd team? After this last draft I am severely disappointed with how the cpu drafted... a top 10 1st rd pick netted the Twins a 3 star SP, a top 10 2nd rd pick netted the Twins a half star SP. No bueno.

I like the changes... Great job Cory I'm 50/50 on the CPU draft for 2nd team as it really work for me this year. I planned on picking a SP and got a stud SS who is hitting .300 on my MLB team.

The only change I'm back and forth on is holding the prospect for years as if I'm pushing for a playoff run I would move my guy for a 15 plus million dollar player to a losing team.

Updated initial post in this thread with current status of any plans.

There WILL be a manually assigned Type A designation for free agents. You will NOT have to offer them any qualifying offer or arbitration. It is simply a process of if someone signs a player that has been designated Type A by the league office, they will lose, and you will gain, their first round pick.

The top 10 picks will be protected, and if those teams sign a type A they will give up their 2nd round pick.

The list will be posted before free agency starts in the General Talk

Really hope a decision can be made on these players, so owners can decide if they want to tie up the money in them before they become free agents, or if they want to let them walk. Don't know what the process for this is, since it is being done manually. But some clarification should be done, so owners can be better prepared for what they may or may not want to do. Please let me know if I can help in anything. Thanks, Tony.
Updated initial post in this thread with current status of any plans.

There WILL be a manually assigned Type A designation for free agents. You will NOT have to offer them any qualifying offer or arbitration. It is simply a process of if someone signs a player that has been designated Type A by the league office, they will lose, and you will gain, their first round pick.

The top 10 picks will be protected, and if those teams sign a type A they will give up their 2nd round pick.

The list will be posted before free agency starts in the General Talk