BSL: New Trading Guideline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
From this point forward, no individual trade can allow your team to exceed the salary cap the following sim.

This will account for both (2) trades available. If you're 10 mil under, trade for a 20 million dollar player in one deal, you CAN trade 10 mil out in the other deal and have both trades pass (being as you would then be at 125 mil).

Otherwise if you made a 20 mil player trade inbound, and a second trade for say 3 million in salary out, your "second" trade would pass, and the 1st (20 mil player) would be rejected in violation of the cap as you would net 7 million over the cap.

Keep in mind, while in the preseason, etc...some teams may run over the cap temporarily, I am not going to allow any trading to cause this.

If you have any questions at all, please ask them here so we can clarify.

Will this include trades made during the pre/off season also?

For example:

Team 1 may trade for Player A from Team 2 that will put them over the cap, but have the intention to drop Team 1's Player B that would make up the difference to stay under the cap. However, there maybe some interest in Player B to be traded to Team 3 instead of taking the salary hit of cutting the player.

I can understand why this should not go on during the regular season as a team may gain an advantage for that sim, but there is no advantage gained during the off season.

- Chris

Makes sense to me. Financial responsibility is a big part of being an owner. The cap there is for a reason. Rule 4.B should be reworded to align with the rule change.

I was an example of this rule for this sim (presumably part of the reason for its enactment at this time) as I picked up a large salary - $20 mil - and another $8.9 million but traded $19 mil out which kept me under the cap. If I did not think I could move someone to get under there is no way I would have taken on the salary.

Cory, Ttanks for keeping people (me) honest in their management!

Dewayne

Will this include trades made during the pre/off season also?

For example:

Team 1 may trade for Player A from Team 2 that will put them over the cap, but have the intention to drop Team 1's Player B that would make up the difference to stay under the cap. However, there maybe some interest in Player B to be traded to Team 3 instead of taking the salary hit of cutting the player.

I can understand why this should not go on during the regular season as a team may gain an advantage for that sim, but there is no advantage gained during the off season.

- Chris

The total trading amount for any given sim (2 or 3 trades depending on time of year) cannot allow a team to exceed the cap at any point, season or offseason.

I like it! Now I guess it just needs to be determined if it should be called the "Oakland Rule" or the "Red Sox Rule". Haha - just teasing guys. I'm just jealous of your revenue/budgets :)

The total trading amount for any given sim (2 or 3 trades depending on time of year) cannot allow a team to exceed the cap at any point, season or offseason.

Okay, now for my second question dealing with off season trades... what if we have players sign that puts a team over the cap, does that nullify any pending trades for that sim?

Just want to get it all straight in my head before I run into trouble being pretty close to the cap.

Thanks - Chris

Okay, now for my second question dealing with off season trades... what if we have players sign that puts a team over the cap, does that nullify any pending trades for that sim?

Just want to get it all straight in my head before I run into trouble being pretty close to the cap.

Thanks - Chris

If a team signs a player in the offseason that ends up making them exceed the cap, any trade where the said team would "gain" more salary will be rejected.

It's really simple, both in trading and free agents. Know what you have to spend and stick under it.

Eric,

I figured it is play money and I have it so might as well spend it :) I am, as my wife says, a "cheap" guy in most regards. I don't like to overpay even with fake money which is why none of the big free agents ever sign with me. I have to trade for my albatross contracts, lol.

Dewayne

I like it! Now I guess it just needs to be determined if it should be called the "Oakland Rule" or the "Red Sox Rule". Haha - just teasing guys. I'm just jealous of your revenue/budgets :)

Maybe we should lodge a complaint for discrimination against large market teams :)

I had a teacher once tell me, you haven't lived until there is a rule or law because of something you did.

- Chris