BSL Owners - important things to think about September and beyond...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
ASK QUESTIONS IF THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! I know it's long and wordy, but it is important for everyone to know!

First things first----September 1st means 40 man ACTIVE rosters. Essentially, the 25 man active roster you have now CAN BE expanded to 40 players (this is NOT necessary...you can have 25, 40, or any number in between).

Some things to think about 40-man ACTIVE roster expansion:

1. No matter what, a player on the ACTIVE roster will have a major league deal. If you promote a player with a minor league contract, he will be assigned a MAJOR league contract and his arbitration clock starts ticking. Keep this in mind as you will burn a lot of service time doing this!

2. My suggestion is to promote ONLY players in the minors that ALREADY HAVE MAJOR LEAGUE CONTRACTS or minor league players that you are almost positive will be starting for you next spring! Again---and I will not feel bad if you don't listen to this as I have made it abundantly clear---if you promote a minor league contract, he received a MAJOR league contract.

Now, the second portion of this conservation is regarding the 40-man roster (the permanent 40-man roster, not the 25 ACTIVE roster that expands to 40 only in september and spring training). The 40-man roster is also spoke of as the 'secondary' roster.

All players on the secondary 40-man roster are PROTECTED from the rule 5 draft. As stated in the other post I made about the Rule 5 draft...it takes place in December. You will need to look at your Rule 5 eligible players and move the ones you want to protect to the 40-man secondary roster. DO NOT ADD THEM TO THE ACTIVE ROSTER AS WELL OR YOU WILL START PAYING THEM AS I HAVE STATED ABOVE! ONLY add them to the 40-man secondary roster.

Keep in mind, once a player is on the 40-man roster, the only way to remove him is to have him clear waivers. It is vital to the success of your franchise that you take the time to calculate your 40-man roster on each and every move. I would assume that all teams will have their 40 man secondary roster full by the Rule 5 draft, lest they lose good players.

Here is a 'pending' rough schedule of the simulations at hand.

---Current sim up to September 1
---Sim to mid-september
---Sim to end of season (may be a short sim before the end of the season)
---Divisional Playoffs
---League Championship Series
---World Series
(day after world series, next year budgets are calculated, as well as revenue sharing, etc) THIS IS SUPER-EMERGENCY time to sign any pending free agents with your new money. This also is the time when you are able to offer arbtiration to pending free agents, arb eligible players, or choose to non-tender (game calls it 'withdraw offer')
---Sim ~5 days, more free agent offers (short delay between sim)
---Sim ~5 days, more free agent offers (short delay between sim)
---Roughly at this point, arbitration hearings will take place. Keep in mind that the arbitration 'panel' will choose either the player's wants or the team's wants and assign that number on a 1-year deal. Arbtiration sim will also be the last chance to offer pending free agents a deal before they leave town.
---Free Agency opens (make offers, short delay between sim)
---Sim ~5 days (make offers, short delay between sim)
---Sim ~5 days (make offers, short delay between sim)
---Rule 5 draft takes place
---Sim up to Winter Meetings(make offers, short delay between sim)
---Sim to end of Winter Meetings(make offers, short delay between sim)
---Sim to end of year(make offers, short delay between sim)

The 2008 year is yet to be reviewed, but it will probably be some pretty short windows between simulations like free agency above.

Cory

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me how I remove a player from my 40 man roster that I do not want to protect? I'm sorry but I'm new to this aspect. Thanks.

Steph

Can someone please explain to me how I remove a player from my 40 man roster that I do not want to protect? I'm sorry but I'm new to this aspect. Thanks.

Steph

Any player on the 40 will have to clear waivers.

The simple way is to release the player.

Here is the manual speak on the 40 man secondary roster.

Who Goes on the Secondary Roster?
There are numerous rules about which players can or must be on the secondary roster, as follows:

Any player on the active roster must also be on the secondary roster.
Any player with a major league contract must be placed on the secondary roster, unless they have cleared waivers and been assigned to the minor leagues
Any player acquired by trade or waiver claim who was on his previous team's secondary roster must also be placed on the acquiring team's secondary roster.

If, after this, you still have slots available on your secondary roster, they can be filled with players who have minor league contract. Players on the secondary roster who are not on the active roster are assigned to one of the minor league teams in the organization.

Reasons for Placing Players on the Secondary Roster
As mentioned above, players with major league contracts must be on the secondary roster. But what about those remaining slots? Why would you put a minor league player onto the secondary roster? There are several reasons:

Rule 5 Draft protection - One big reason for placing a player on the secondary roster is the Rule 5 draft. Players on the secondary roster cannot be selected in the Rule 5 draft, and therefore the secondary roster is used to 'protect' talented young players who are not quite ready for the major leagues.

Removing Players from the Secondary Roster
A team wanting to remove a player from the secondary roster must first place the player on waivers. If the player clears waivers, the player can then be sent to the minors. Doing this is called 'outrighting' the player to the minors. If a player has five years of major league service time, he can also elect to refuse assignment to the minors. If this happens, you must either keep the player on the secondary roster, or release him, paying any remaining salary.

The steps to remove a player from the secondary roster are as follows:

Waive the player and designate him for assignment. You can do this by right-clicking on the player and selecting Transactions > Waive & Designate for Assignment. This will remove him from the secondary roster immediately. (In real life, players are required to clear irrevocable waivers before they can be removed from the secondary roster. OOTP only requires revocable waivers in this situation, unless the player is out of options.)
If the player clears waivers, you can attempt to assign him to the minors by dragging him from the designated for assignment area to the minor league roster in the Transaction page. However, at this point if he has enough service time, he could refuse the assignment! If he does, you will be forced to either release him, trade him, or place him back on the secondary roster.

Note: In real life, teams can outright a player only once before the player has a choice. If the team outrights him a second time, the player can refuse assignment to the minors and elect to become a free agent. This rule does not exist in OOTP.

Contract Implications of Removing Players from the Secondary Roster
When a team signs a player to a major league deal, he is placed on the secondary roster. If he then is outrighted or otherwise demoted, his contract remains intact, and he is still paid his major league salary despite being in the minor leagues. If the player refuses the assignment, and is released, the team must pay him the remainder of the money in his contract. In real life, if a player refuses a minor league assignment, he can become a free agent and forfeit the remainder of his contract. This is not the case in OOTP.

Drawbacks of Putting Minor Leaguers on the Secondary Roster
When a player is placed on the secondary roster but doesn't end up on the active roster, he is considered to be on 'optional assignment,' using up one of his three minor league option years.