• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

Bumping threads

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Today we installed a new feature that will allow members to "bump" their threads without posting a reply. The main reason for this is to get rid of the "bump" and "ttt" type of messages. These types of posts don't add any value to the threads, and could actually hurt our ranking in Google. Also, this will be a lot easier since you only need to click a button to get your thread to the top of the list.

Only the thread starter, and moderators, may bump a thread. Also, threads can only be bumped once every 24 hours, after which the previous bump will be removed. We still would recommend only bumping 1 thread, per forum, per day as well so that you're not occupying all the space on the front page of the thread listing.

Effective immediately, any replies that are solely meant to bump a thread will be removed.

In order to bump your thread, you now only need to look at the top of the thread, and click on the "Bump" button, as seen in the following picture.

bump-location.png

Then, in the following picture you will see that my thread is shown in the list above the next thread, even though the next thread has a newer post than mine. Notice the little up arrow to the right of the thread title. That up arrow means that a thread is currently bumped.

bumped-thread.png

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Brilliant. How will post counts be affected. Will a person be allowed to bump a thread in less than 24 hours. Maybe that could be prevented by the software.

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Brilliant. How will post counts be affected. Will a person be allowed to bump a thread in less than 24 hours. Maybe that could be prevented by the software.
Post counts won't change since no posts will be made. The system won't allow a bump unless it's been 24 hours since the last bump or reply in that thread.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Post counts won't change since no posts will be made. The system won't allow a bump unless it's been 24 hours since the last bump or reply in that thread.
I was thinking about post count in regards to the posts that will be deleted. I still have some, was it done already?

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was thinking about post count in regards to the posts that will be deleted. I still have some, was it done already?
Oh, no, nobody will be going back and deleting the old ones. I mean, if I come across them I do, but we won't be actively seeking them out. We'll just be deleting any new bump-type posts.

For clarity, though, if a post is deleted it does drop a member's post count.

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Checking. Can we get a bumped thread using this tool to show up on latest threads? I know that is how I browse the threads.
I will get bumps added to the "Latest activity" tab under "What's new". I also have plans to create a new tab called "New bumps". Those changes are coming in the next update, but there is still no timeframe for when that will be complete.

greatdadx2

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I guess I am confused about the "bump" option. I have done this twice already and both times, I have not seen my thread show up. The thread does not show up when I click on "new posts", "What's new" and/or when I click on my "watched" threads....Thread is still in the same place as it was before I clicked the "bump" option....the only thing I see that is different is that up arrow......to put in a nut shell when I bump my thread, I see no evidence of it.
Thanks and sorry if I'm missing something Mike
Robert

chief wahoo

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I guess I am confused about the "bump" option. I have done this twice already and both times, I have not seen my thread show up. The thread does not show up when I click on "new posts", "What's new" and/or when I click on my "watched" threads....Thread is still in the same place as it was before I clicked the "bump" option....the only thing I see that is different is that up arrow......to put in a nut shell when I bump my thread, I see no evidence of it.
Robert
FYI, this was my experience as well.

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Robert

FYI, this was my experience as well.
Right now the threads are only bumped in the forum listing. If you look there, you'll notice some threads with an up arrow. Those threads have been bumped, so they're displaying out of order.

Also, I am working on an update to get bumped threads added into the "Latest activity" tab on What's new, and also creating a new tab for "New bumps". I don't think it makes sense to show bumped threads in "New posts" or "Watched threads" because there aren't actually any new posts being made. I'm hoping that update will be ready to install at some point in the next few days.

greatdadx2

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I can only speak for myself, but that seems like a lot of options to click on especially when there are three options in the "Baseball Trading" alone.....I at least 90% of the time use the "New Posts" and "Watched" options.
When using the "New Posts" I can at least use the "Mark Forums Read" as a tool to show myself that I have looked at those threads....also because somebody "bumps" one of their threads doesn't mean that someone hasn't added or deleted from their original post of the thread....for example I follow member dlackey's thread: https://thebenchtrading.com/threads/looking-for-these-set-wants.468185/ on his thread he will add to his want list, so if he is going to use the "bump" option I will not see it, even though his original post has changed, which is new....
In my opinion there is too many ways to get to threads, I believe simplicity is the best way to go, less is better

I am curious to know how most Benchies go about viewing threads and how they navigate around the site

Last edited:

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I've been working on this most of the day, guys. I have an update coming so that bumps will show up in the "What's new" tab. I'll try to get the update installed at some point tomorrow evening. It would've been today but there a few bugs I'm trying to work out. I'm hoping to get those fixed tomorrow. Please bear with me!