• ATTENTION: The Bench needs your help locating the last 4 cards to complete the Yankee Stadium Legacy set.

Bumping threads

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I like this...it doesn't help that I collect Nate Bump...searching past posts were always fruitless..
...and now you're just going to keep seeing this thread over and over.

As members quit using replies to bump their threads, those old posts should start to weigh less and less in the search results over time. At some point maybe you'll be able to only get search results for something you're looking for rather than pretty much every thread on the site.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I think what some people are saying it that edited threads are new. I'm just mentioning it because I wasn't complete clear on what was posted in this thread.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Mike - I apologize if I missed this being answered above.

A lot of my posts are of the larger variety. For example, I have a thread in the Baseball Forum that is seven posts long. (Character count limits) How does the bump rule work when we make a new post like that?

Thanks
Craig

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The idea is for the bump to work exactly as if you'd posted a reply, as far as the thread coming back into view. So if, for example, you edit your thread to include more cards, you could use the bump feature and that thread will come back to the first page of the thread listing page.

Now, after hearing feedback, I'm also working on a way so that it will show up in "What's new".

The idea is to simply get away from posts that say "bump", "ttt", or "up". Those types of posts do more harm than good from a search engine perspective, which doesn't mean much to most folks, but is important in helping new members find us.

I think once all the kinks are worked out everyone will be pleased with how it works.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I've been working on this most of the day, guys. I have an update coming so that bumps will show up in the "What's new" tab. I'll try to get the update installed at some point tomorrow evening. It would've been today but there a few bugs I'm trying to work out. I'm hoping to get those fixed tomorrow. Please bear with me!

GREAT upgrades, thank you my friend!!

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
All bumped threads should now show up in the "What's new" page, as well as in the forum sidebar under "Latest posts and bumps".

Also, if you're reading a thread, I added the bump date below the thread title. If a thread is currently bumped, the date will be shown as seen in the highlighted area in the below photo.

bump-date.png

dgrimes248

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I've been working on this most of the day, guys. I have an update coming so that bumps will show up in the "What's new" tab. I'll try to get the update installed at some point tomorrow evening. It would've been today but there a few bugs I'm trying to work out. I'm hoping to get those fixed tomorrow. Please bear with me!
Thanks !

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Added an update today that changes the way bumps are displayed in the sidebar. Now, if the thread is bumped instead of showing "Latest: UserName • <Last Post Date>" it will show as "Bumped: <Bump Date>".

longhornjunkie

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Do bumps "expire" after an additional 24 hours or something? I had bumped a thread, but it's not up there anymore, even though my profile/activity reflects that I had done it. Sorry if I missed an explanation somewhere, I read through this and didn't see anything.

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Do bumps "expire" after an additional 24 hours or something? I had bumped a thread, but it's not up there anymore, even though my profile/activity reflects that I had done it. Sorry if I missed an explanation somewhere, I read through this and didn't see anything.
Yes, bumps will expire after 24 hours, allowing you to bump the thread again, if needed.

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
With today's update the expiration time for bumps has been changed to 7 days instead of 24 hours. You can still bump your thread every 24 hours, but that bump will not expire for 7 days.

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The problem is if a member has 10 or more old threads and he or she hits the bump on all of them about the same time....the first page is over flowing with their threads. Best regards, David
The rules say members should only bump one thread per forum, per day. If it becomes a problem we could code that in to the feature so members won't be able to bump more than that.

jaxbraves

HOF
5.00 star(s)
My apologies for my recent bump of several threads that have not been bumped up in months. I have been on the Bench for a long time and know that a thread must wait 24 hours. Never read that you could only bump 1 thread , on one forum before. But have a question about traders
that post a thread and post in the same thread every pack they open in a different post. Would that not be bumping also?

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
My apologies for my recent bump of several threads that have not been bumped up in months. I have been on the Bench for a long time and know that a thread must wait 24 hours. Never read that you could only bump 1 thread , on one forum before. But have a question about traders
that post a thread and post in the same thread every pack they open in a different post. Would that not be bumping also?
Reading back over the rule, it actually doesn't say 1 per forum, so I stand corrected there. Here's what it actually states:

For the sake of fairness, It is preferred you Bump as few threads as possible within a single Forum at one time, so as not to monopolize the top of any single Forum. That way, one trader does not have 3+ threads at the top of a particular Forum at any one time. We understand that this isn't always possible, but in consideration of your fellow traders it is a suggested guideline.

So, I don't guess it reads as a rule, but really more of a recommendation of courtesy to the rest of the members with threads in that forum.

Any post that adds actual data the thread is allowed. The whole idea was only to get rid of posts that simply say "ttt", "bump", etc. Basically any post that's sole purpose is to bump the thread to the top of the list. Those types of very small posts hurt the page, as search engines are concerned. It's much better, for us, for members to just use the bump feature rather than posting.

cmcjr99

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
But have a question about traders

i think a couple much bigger issues would be those who list 5 to 10 new fs/ft posts (each with a separate card or player lot) all within minutes of each other despite the forum rule (or suggestion) to combine posts or those who post the same thing in multiple threads despite there being an actual rule against that...

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
i think a couple much bigger issues would be those who list 5 to 10 new fs/ft posts (each with a separate card or player lot) all within minutes of each other despite the forum rule (or suggestion) to combine posts or those who post the same thing in multiple threads despite there being an actual rule against that...
I'd agree with this.