• ATTENTION: Do you have a local card shop near you? If so, please help us out by adding their location into our new card shop tool.

Bumping threads

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I like this...it doesn't help that I collect Nate Bump...searching past posts were always fruitless..
...and now you're just going to keep seeing this thread over and over.

As members quit using replies to bump their threads, those old posts should start to weigh less and less in the search results over time. At some point maybe you'll be able to only get search results for something you're looking for rather than pretty much every thread on the site.

anglinomics

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I think what some people are saying it that edited threads are new. I'm just mentioning it because I wasn't complete clear on what was posted in this thread.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Mike - I apologize if I missed this being answered above.

A lot of my posts are of the larger variety. For example, I have a thread in the Baseball Forum that is seven posts long. (Character count limits) How does the bump rule work when we make a new post like that?

Thanks
Craig

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
The idea is for the bump to work exactly as if you'd posted a reply, as far as the thread coming back into view. So if, for example, you edit your thread to include more cards, you could use the bump feature and that thread will come back to the first page of the thread listing page.

Now, after hearing feedback, I'm also working on a way so that it will show up in "What's new".

The idea is to simply get away from posts that say "bump", "ttt", or "up". Those types of posts do more harm than good from a search engine perspective, which doesn't mean much to most folks, but is important in helping new members find us.

I think once all the kinks are worked out everyone will be pleased with how it works.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I've been working on this most of the day, guys. I have an update coming so that bumps will show up in the "What's new" tab. I'll try to get the update installed at some point tomorrow evening. It would've been today but there a few bugs I'm trying to work out. I'm hoping to get those fixed tomorrow. Please bear with me!

GREAT upgrades, thank you my friend!!

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
All bumped threads should now show up in the "What's new" page, as well as in the forum sidebar under "Latest posts and bumps".

Also, if you're reading a thread, I added the bump date below the thread title. If a thread is currently bumped, the date will be shown as seen in the highlighted area in the below photo.

bump-date.png

dgrimes248

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I've been working on this most of the day, guys. I have an update coming so that bumps will show up in the "What's new" tab. I'll try to get the update installed at some point tomorrow evening. It would've been today but there a few bugs I'm trying to work out. I'm hoping to get those fixed tomorrow. Please bear with me!
Thanks !

Mike121

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Added an update today that changes the way bumps are displayed in the sidebar. Now, if the thread is bumped instead of showing "Latest: UserName • <Last Post Date>" it will show as "Bumped: <Bump Date>".