Buying our first home!

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
My wife and I are currently going through the process of buying our first home. We are transferring to VA in May, so that is where we are looking. We already have our locations picked out that we like and we will be driving down on weekends during the next few months to see our realtor and find "the one" we want and get it all finalized before we transfer. I wanted to get a few hints or pointers from those of you that have bought a home already. Especially those that might live in areas that require you to pay Home Owner Fees or Condo Fees.

Thanks,
Billy

Last edited:

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
Suffolk is the #1, then Chesapeake area. Our realtor said she had some nice homes in Portsmouth, but we heard that the crime rate is fairly high in Portsmouth.

I noticed your in the Navy also. I'll be stationed at Norfolk with VAW-124.

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
Congrats on your first home. My wife and I are on our third home. You know..With a new home, comes a new baby. At least that's the way it was with us twice.

Last edited:

cpr1981

4.90 star(s)
Congrats Billy!

I just bought my first home back in May...It's a fun, tiring process that will test your patience. Just be sure not to pick too quickly and never settle for something that has most but not all of your needs. Good luck and be sure and let us all know when yall do find "the one."

Colvin

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
Congrats! I hope your process goes much more smoothly than ours did. We were so soured on our first attempt that we decided to still rent, but we may revisit the house buying process in 3-4 years. Housing is EXTREMELY expensive here, it has not been a buyers market.

fatrat

5.00 star(s)
Good luck on the move from another ex-Navy man (4 years, regular) - a long time ago - two ships in Norfolk - USS Vulcan, USS Alstede - you probably shaved with one of them this morning! :D

anglinomics

5.00 star(s)
When I bought a home I hired an independent inspector to go through the house and find anything that was wrong with it. If your buying an older home it might be worth the investment. It cost me $200, but really gave me peace of mind.

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Hey Billy
Like Meliah said . Get in touch with James Nevans. He can also put you in touch with a good realator in that area as well. Good luck in getting your first House
Later
Tom

jimmyharcar

5.00 star(s)
Great time to buy for the most part. If it is your first home, you will be there for a few years probably. There are things you can 'live with' for now you will tell yourself. Still, make sure eveything is what you want within reason....floorplan, location, neighborhood, neighbors, proximatey to work, stores, etc. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

7guns

5.00 star(s)
I enjoy it here Portsmouth is not the worst but far from a great area your choices are not to bad.My house is in Norfolk it is not to bad I like being close to the base when my ship is there,it will be nice to leave Newport News shipyard though.