Can anyone ID this possible Yankees auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks21

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I have a few black and white Yankees autograph pictures that I was rearranging in my Yankees Auto album. There are (3) in the lot Ron Swoboda, Sparky Lyle and former Yankees announcer Frank Messer. I noticed on the back of the Messer photo an autograph on back. I know it can be the old owner of the photo or a player or a Yankees official. I wanted to see if any member here recognized the auto to be a player?

I gave the players in the lot to give you an idea of the era. I also have a scan of the Messer and the auto in question. Thanks in advance, Kevin in CT.

messer.jpg
auto in question:
messerback.jpg

Well, the good news is that's it's probably "John," so at least you have a starting point.

edit: And Swoboda was only a Yankee in 1972-1973, so you have a likely timeline too. I don't know, though.

John Sterling perhaps? The letters look like that could be correct.

I know these autos were in my collection for about 10 years or so. These autos from my guess and seawolf investigations put these around the early to mid 70’s. John Sterling did not get to the Yankees until 1989 so I am steering towards it not being him. Anyone else have a guess or maybe agree with Robert?

I know these autos were in my collection for about 10 years or so. These autos from my guess and seawolf investigations put these around the early to mid 70’s. John Sterling did not get to the Yankees until 1989 so I am steering towards it not being him. Anyone else have a guess or maybe agree with Robert?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sterling_(sportscaster)

Sterling did announce Nets and Islanders games from 1975-80. I don't think there's a real way to determine when the autograph was signed...it might not have been from the 70's (yes, Swoboda was a Yankee in the early 70's but he could have signed the photo you have after his playing days ended). I just looked at the letters and figured it was John Sterling...the signature was not immediately familiar to me.

Last edited:
You guys nailed it! Thanks!
I saw his autograph at the new Yankees Stadium in the "Wall of Balls". Stuck out because he, Suzyn Waldman and Michael Kay had autographed balls mixed with all the Yankee players past and present.

Again, good work men!