Coming Soon: Major Site Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
As some of you may know, behind the scenes we've been working on updating some of The Bench's features and getting them ready for a major (and much needed) software upgrade. Well, the time for that upgrade is almost upon us. Over the next several days I'll be posting a series of Coming Soon threads to show some of the changes that will take place as part of this upgrade.

Admittedly, most things that you do here on the site will change. I know, I know...nobody likes change. However, this forum software is old and outdated. So outdated, in fact, that we can't even upgrade the server software because it'll cause things on the site to break (which is what happened with the trade manager before). That said, I think you'll all quickly learn to use the new site and realize that it is actually much easier to use.

With this upgrade, we mainly focused on keeping the major features that are the most used, or most important to the site. So, the trade manager (obviously), the collector's database, and the HOF listing will all be upgraded. Some other features, such as the TTM database (which is very rarely used) may be added back on later. Once we see that things are running smoothly after the upgrade, we'll start to look at adding some more new features.

There is still no definitive date on when this upgrade will take place, but it's looking very likely that it will happen at some point this month.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this upgrade, feel free to ask them here.

Stay tuned for more Coming Soon threads in the coming days to get a more details look at some of the changes that will be made during the upgrade.

Will we lose threads? I have a thread that I have that contains my trade list, and is very extensive, as it has all my inserts broken down by team and sorted alphabetically. I use it all the time, and am constantly updating it. It is actually the link in my signature. Don't want to lose all that time I have into it, so if I need to move it elsewhere, please give me a heads up. Thanks, Tony.

Will we lose threads? I have a thread that I have that contains my trade list, and is very extensive, as it has all my inserts broken down by team and sorted alphabetically. I use it all the time, and am constantly updating it. It is actually the link in my signature. Don't want to lose all that time I have into it, so if I need to move it elsewhere, please give me a heads up. Thanks, Tony.

No, definitely not. All forums, and threads, will stay in tact. The URL will be different, but there will be redirects for the old links. So, the link in your signature will still work. It'll just redirect folks to the new one.

Hi Mike -
A friend was trying to register and is getting a notice that registration has been disabled. Is that because of the upcoming upgrade? If so, how soon can new members register?
Thanks for all your work!
Jeff

Is there something we have to do on our browsers? Just showing me all text. Works great on my phone but not win10

Is there something we have to do on our browsers? Just showing me all text. Works great on my phone but not win10

Shouldn't be anything you need to do. Try pressing CTRL+F5. That will force a hard refresh, emptying the cache for this site. What browser are you using?

Tried all 4, IE, Chrome, Edge and Firefox. Also 2 computers

The only thing I can think of is that your ISP is blocking traffic from our CDN, or vice versa, which is where all the CSS and JS files are served from. I have no idea why that would happen, though. Let's try something. Can you just try to open this file on your computer: https://cdn.thebenchtrading.com/2395.jpg

Let me know if you can see that image, or tell me what happens.

Interesting. It times out. I can do an nslookup to it but can't ping it. I can ping your server though

Interesting. It times out. I can do an nslookup to it but can't ping it. I can ping your server though

That's what I was afraid of. I'm not sure what I can do about this. The strange part is that Comcast is also one of Stackpath's providers. Let me send an email to support and find out what they have to say about it, assuming I can get a response.

Def something with Comcast. If I use my work machine VPN'd in, comes up no problem. But not on vpn, no good.