Cult Classic Movies

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Was watching the news this morning before basketball practice and saw the following story:

"Cult classic Steel Magnolias turns 25". Now, maybe because it is because I am a guy, but never in my life have I thought of Steel Magnolias as a "Cult Classic" movie.

I always thought of something like Rocky Horror Picture Show or Highlander or Lost Boys as a cult classic.

Would enjoy hearing others thoughts and favorites.

Think I would have to say, my favorite is "The Warriors". Any time I see that it is on, I feel compelled to watch it....

David K.

5.00 star(s)
My favorite is Zomieland! emma stone, woody harison, the guy who played the facebook guy.

pmanningsfan73

5.00 star(s)
My favorite Cult Classic Horror flix are the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Salem's Lot & Night of the Living Dead.

Great Pick OP on the Warriors, loved it & also Bad Boys with Sean Penn form 1982.

porkchops

5.00 star(s)

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
My top three would be.
1. Plan 9 From outer space 1958
2. Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes 1978
3. This iS Spinal Tap 1984

t.rooster

4.90 star(s)
I agree with you, Steel Magnolias is not what I would think of as a cult classic, myself, put me down for The Big Liebowski and the early John Sayles film, The Brother from Another Planet.....

O

oldmarine0311

Well Wikipedia defines a cult classic movie as…. A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed. And I don’t see how steel magnolias could make the list. But I think a easy way to find a cult classic movie is from last night. How many truvy jones’s did you see in the mix of party goes? Okay I had to look that part up on IMDB but really I bet there were more vampires and slutty nurses than charters from steel magnolias lol. Just my 2bits ya’all lol.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
My favorite is Zomieland! emma stone, woody harison, the guy who played the facebook guy.

Love Zombieland! Woody Harrelsons best movie since The People v. Larry Flynt!

the original evil dead trilogy (ed , ed2 , and army of darkness)

Never watched this trilogy - may have to give it a shot.

My favorite Cult Classic Horror flix are the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Salem's Lot & Night of the Living Dead.

Great Pick OP on the Warriors, loved it & also Bad Boys with Sean Penn form 1982.
Bad Boys is a great one - soda cans in a pillow case...

My top three would be.
1. Plan 9 From outer space 1958
2. Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes 1978
3. This iS Spinal Tap 1984

Another group I have never seen.

I agree with you, Steel Magnolias is not what I would think of as a cult classic, myself, put me down for The Big Liebowski and the early John Sayles film, The Brother from Another Planet.....

Well Wikipedia defines a cult classic movie as…. A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film with a cult following, obscure or unpopular with mainstream audiences, and often revolutionary or ironically enjoyed. And I don’t see how steel magnolias could make the list. But I think a easy way to find a cult classic movie is from last night. How many truvy jones’s did you see in the mix of party goes? Okay I had to look that part up on IMDB but really I bet there were more vampires and slutty nurses than charters from steel magnolias lol. Just my 2bits ya’all lol.

Appreciate the agreement regarding Steel Magnolias. And I don't know what a Truvy Jones is????

no you guys have to watch "The Blob" The Original "THe Thing" and "Night of The Living Dead"

Anything with "Living Dead" in the title has my time and attention.

Spent Halloween handing out candy while watching Hellraiser 6 w/ Kari Wuhrer. Think that is a fantastic horror franchise.

baberuth#3

5.00 star(s)
I'm a big fan of cult classic horror and exploitation films. Wikipedia actually has a list of cult films and Steel Magnolias is definitely not on it, haha. Some of my favorites are Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, and Death Race 2000.

cmcjr99

5.00 star(s)
Never watched this trilogy - may have to give it a shot.

saw the first one back in college.... i haven't watched the new versions , but the originals with bruce campbell are a riot (hell , almost anything put out by the sam raimi and his crew is awesome) but i won't give anything away with spoilers.....(well not much ;) )..... but hey , did that tree just move ?

Jaybo374

5.00 star(s)
For me, I have always loved "Repo Man" from 1984. Emilio Estevez and produced by Michael Nesmith of Monkees fame.

bblair_2002

5.00 star(s)
Mine is The Shawshank Redemption.

It didn't fare well at the box office but became huge once it was released on video. I would consider that a cult classic.

Chavezforprez

5.00 star(s)
Monster in the Closet is one of my favorites. It has a very young Paul Walker and Fergie, along with John Carradine. Cheesy, but good.

budd2222

5.00 star(s)
If you like cheesy movies have a look at Reefer Madness. Some movies should never have been made and this is one of them.

katester44

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I'm a big fan of cult classic horror and exploitation films. Wikipedia actually has a list of cult films and Steel Magnolias is definitely not on it, haha. Some of my favorites are Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, and Death Race 2000.

Definitely Texas Chainsaw - and definitely the original. And love Death Race 2000.

For me, I have always loved "Repo Man" from 1984. Emilio Estevez and produced by Michael Nesmith of Monkees fame.

Will add it to the list!

Mine is The Shawshank Redemption.

It didn't fare well at the box office but became huge once it was released on video. I would consider that a cult classic.

Another favorite. Funny to think that the voice of the hardest screw to ever walk a turn at Shawshank is the voice of Mr Krabbs from SpongeBob now. And that he was in the previously mentioned Bad Boys. And another great one - Starship Troopers.

Monster in the Closet is one of my favorites. It has a very young Paul Walker and Fergie, along with John Carradine. Cheesy, but good.

Cheesy is never bad! Another to add to the list.

If you like cheesy movies have a look at Reefer Madness. Some movies should never have been made and this is one of them.

Add to the list.

I really like Planet of the Apes & Final Destination. They might qualify as cult classics.

Have enjoyed all the Final Destination movies - first one was the best though.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)

Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is great, the remake wasn't that bad but only because I love Jessica Biel:)

Original Last House on the Left was intense, remake was so lame. If you haven't seen I Spit on Your Grave (original and not remake) I would recommend it. Original The Hills Have Eyes is good and I always loved the Wrong Turn franchise.

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
When I hear cult classic, first that comes to mind is Pulp Fiction. More modern than most, but that is great, great movie!

Others: The Big Lebowski, Mallrats, Fight Club, Monty Python, Office Space, Reservior Dogs, Beatles Yellow Submarine, Starship Troopers