Deans Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PRosefan1

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I am constantly scouring ebay for quality vintage at decent prices. Any vintage card I do a search for yields many, many results. While scanning the lists I have noticed something. This Deans cards has thousands and thousands of cards listed at all times. Not just run of the mill vintage either. This account list hundreds of top shelf rare graded and raw cards. I hadnt heard of them up until several years ago. Their prices are not for the faint of heart either. Many cards are listed way higher than (Book value). Rightfully so because some, if not many of their vintage is just downright gorgeous. I figured this guy cant sell much so I went down the rabbit hole. Over 200k sales...

Anyway, does anybody know the backround of Deans cards? Im just curious as to how long theyve been around. Where the heck they got so many high dollar cards.

Im not here to trash them or to generate traffic to their site. Just wondered their backround if anybody knew.

I had not heard of him before either but you are correct on his vintage. I just clicked on 1965 Topps football and he has two near complete sets one PSA 6.5 and the othe at least a PSA 6. That is incredible.

The only whale I kind of know the backstory on is Larry Fritch who supposedly bought a ton of 1972 Topps Football high series and became a huge dealer. Apparently there was little to no demand for the series 3s so he got a great deal on the Topps inventory. He was selling complete 1972 Topps football sets 1-351 in the back page of The Sporting News in the mid 70s which is where I got my set for Christmas in 1974 and 1975 thnks to Santa.

It would be interesting to see if this was someone who got into cards on the ground floor or was well papered and just started heavily buying vintage for big bucks. I'd heavily guess the latter but that is just a guess.

This is the link to the spin on his story on his own company website

Dean's Cards
Interesting! It looks like he got this huge with a combination of both of the factors I speculated about. He left corporate life to do this so I figure he was well off financially and he also got into the hobby on the ground floor as a huge, long time collector. He also had his father's dups available for inventory so this guy got into it from the basebment, not just the ground floor!

I will say this was a massive gamble on his part as he started this company this in 2001/02 when the hobby was on a massive multi decade downswing. His gamble obviously paid off.

They're WAY overpriced. You can do much better at auction. Greg Morris Cards is excellent.

I’m very frustrated with the vintage sellers on eBay. They’re all crazy and delusional. Recently I’ve been searching for a few minor or semi star cards for my 1974 Topps set. Most of the cards that I need are not MNT when I closely scan them. I’m fine with that but these are cards that Beckett indicates are $1 or $2. All have numerous soft corners or print flaws or dings and creases and are at least double that or more before you get to shipping and tax. I even made counter offers that were reasonable and one was denied and the was countered by the seller. What’s going on?

I am constantly scouring ebay for quality vintage at decent prices. Any vintage card I do a search for yields many, many results. While scanning the lists I have noticed something. This Deans cards has thousands and thousands of cards listed at all times. Not just run of the mill vintage either. This account list hundreds of top shelf rare graded and raw cards. I hadnt heard of them up until several years ago. Their prices are not for the faint of heart either. Many cards are listed way higher than (Book value). Rightfully so because some, if not many of their vintage is just downright gorgeous. I figured this guy cant sell much so I went down the rabbit hole. Over 200k sales...

Anyway, does anybody know the backround of Deans cards? Im just curious as to how long theyve been around. Where the heck they got so many high dollar cards.

Im not here to trash them or to generate traffic to their site. Just wondered their backround if anybody knew.
I've never bought anything from them but they have been around for years and have heard good things about them.

I’m very frustrated with the vintage sellers on eBay. They’re all crazy and delusional. Recently I’ve been searching for a few minor or semi star cards for my 1974 Topps set. Most of the cards that I need are not MNT when I closely scan them. I’m fine with that but these are cards that Beckett indicates are $1 or $2. All have numerous soft corners or print flaws or dings and creases and are at least double that or more before you get to shipping and tax. I even made counter offers that were reasonable and one was denied and the was countered by the seller. What’s going on?
GMC estimates the card condition very accurately. They are trustworthy. Their auctions are well run. The bids can sometimes skyrocket, but if you set yourself a limit of what you're willing to pay, just wait a week and another copy of the card will very likely come up. In the last year I got '74 exmt Brooks for $3.25, Stargell for $3.75 and Blyleven for $1.50.

GMC estimates the card condition very accurately. They are trustworthy. Their auctions are well run. The bids can sometimes skyrocket, but if you set yourself a limit of what you're willing to pay, just wait a week and another copy of the card will very likely come up. In the last year I got '74 exmt Brooks for $3.25, Stargell for $3.75 and Blyleven for $1.50.
That’s pretty good. Did that include postage? IMO that’s what kills some of the bargain sell prices.

That’s pretty good. Did that include postage? IMO that’s what kills some of the bargain sell prices.
GMC allows the customer to combine purchases into a single shipment. I try to bundle 5-10 auction wins prior to completing an order. Shipping is $4.95 - so I always manage to lower the shipping average to between 50 cents and a buck per card. That ends up cheaper than the gas I would use to drive to one of my LCS.