Dishonesty or stupidity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-LA-DOD...ultDomain_0&hash=item41676dc710#ht_500wt_1336

I emailed the guy to inform his the ball was a pre-print. It failed to sell, now it is up again.

How can you not tell this is a pre-print??? I showed my wife the picture and she wants nothing to do with my collecting, meaning she is no expert. She saw it right away!!! I guess it doesn't matter if you are trying to rip someone off!

How funny...now he has more listed...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-LA-DOD...ultDomain_0&hash=item41676db4e3#ht_500wt_1336

Last edited:
Yeah, you can clearly tell it is a pre-print. I think he is being dishonest because he says he has a COA which he obviously doesn't have and doesn't show in the picture.

just report it let ebay deal with it, its obvously a phoney

Typical scammer that hurts everybody !

Ebay won't do anything about this. Vero program member gets to shut down legitimate listings without a second thought from ebay but obvious fraud like this ..........

I reported the first listing and it ended after timing out. I reported both of these now too. I doubt they will end early, but we'll see.

I sent him another question, asking who the COA is from. I'm sure I'll get a nasty response or be ignored all together, since I also added that he was still trying to sell a preprint, even after I informed him it was. I said one time, maybe you didn't know better. Twice and you are intentionally listing an item fraudulently.

Too bad, because both of those pre-prints are nice versions. I wouldn't mind having either, but I wouldn't pay much more than $20-30 for either.

The funny thing, even if they were real, his asking price is too high. Anyone willing to buy a team ball like that will know better and anyone getting it who doesn't know better will figure it out fast once they open the package and the guy has to refund the money anyway. What is the point?

I'd love to see the COA. These balls a fake as fake comes. How often do you have that many autos all the same color ink and not one faded. There is always one or 2 faded more than the others.

I'd love to see the COA. These balls a fake as fake comes. How often do you have that many autos all the same color ink and not one faded. There is always one or 2 faded more than the others.

that was the first thing i thought of, same color ink and no fading on any of them.

paul

When I do searches for 2002 Studio cards, every once in a while someone will list the Studio Star cards (the credit card style with a faux signature), and try to sell the card like the auto on the back is legit.

I ask myself the similar question - is this person that dense or are they trying to lure in a sucker?

Todd

They are not fakes. They are just pre-printed souvenir balls. You used to find them at the concession stands back in the day. I'm guessing they were $5-10 back then for one, maybe a little more. They are fairly common, but I'd say about half I see listed on ebay are listed as real signed balls. I have emailed every seller who I noticed trying to sell one and this is the only guy to hold firm in his "belief" that they are signed. His response even said they were hand signed and he has a COA, just like the description. He has failed to answer my most recent question though.

Very dishonest...looks like he is a SHOP owner to boot which would make it twice as sad!

COA are worthless especially if they just print one out themselves.

---
The way I approach sellers like this is: I let them know it's preprinted and would hate to see their feedback score get hit with a negative. 9 out of 10 will just end or revise the listing.

They are not fakes. They are just pre-printed souvenir balls. You used to find them at the concession stands back in the day. I'm guessing they were $5-10 back then for one, maybe a little more.

Totally agree. I seem to remember some Mets yearbooks in the 70s/80s having an ad where you could mail away for them also, I believe they were termed "facsimile" signed balls by the hobby back then. I know I have an '86 Mets one like that, came in a "fancy" plastic ball holder.

They are not fakes. They are just pre-printed souvenir balls. You used to find them at the concession stands back in the day. I'm guessing they were $5-10 back then for one, maybe a little more. They are fairly common, but I'd say about half I see listed on ebay are listed as real signed balls. I have emailed every seller who I noticed trying to sell one and this is the only guy to hold firm in his "belief" that they are signed. His response even said they were hand signed and he has a COA, just like the description. He has failed to answer my most recent question though.

Im not saying the "ball" is fake just the sigs. They are not real sigs. Just printed on.

The item, as it's described - DISHONESTY
The potential buyer, who doesn't see how obviously fake it is- STUPIDITY.

Pete

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online