EA Sports to charge $10 for online play

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
If you buy a used EA Sports game, you will have to pay $10 to play online.

EA Sports

What's interesting is that Gamestop supports the move.

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
The mega-publisher announced Monday that beginning with the June 8th release of Tiger Woods 11, all future EA Sports games for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will include a one-time, game-specific "Online Pass" code, which grants access to "online services, features and bonus content."

I don't play any online games and am confused. If there's a pass code couldn't that code simply be passed onto whoever buys the game used ?

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
I think the code is a one-time only thing that you enter the first time you play the game online. Maybe it is linked to your Live or PS Online account after that??

jimmyharcar

5.00 star(s)
I thought it was that if you purchased the game new, you got the code, but then if you rented or bought a used copy, you had to pay the $10 if you wanted that.

JGerutfan9

5.00 star(s)
The $10 doesn't apply to the new games. Read the article. The code is free in new games, you only have to pay the $10 if you buy the game used or rent it. If your lucky enough you may buy the game used and get an unused code with the game.

Eric

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
The $10 doesn't apply to the new games. Read the article. The code is free in new games, you only have to pay the $10 if you buy the game used or rent it. If your lucky enough you may buy the game used and get an unused code with the game.

Eric

Yea, that's correct. That's why I said if you buy a "used" game it would cost you $10 to play it online. I think it's pretty greedy myself.

cjay101

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Back in high school and college, I might have....I rarely if ever get online with them...I prefer the franchise mode, etc.

JJLevitsky

5.00 star(s)
This is their way of trying to get a piece of the secondary market. They get nothing when a game is sold used so now they want something. I dont play online at all so it wont affect me but I can understand the frustration. You buy used to spend less then have to spend extra to do what you want. However, it is their product and they can do what they want. If in the end it get you to buy new instead of used it has done what they wanted it to do.

Thanks,

Jeff

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
This is their way of trying to get a piece of the secondary market. They get nothing when a game is sold used so now they want something. I dont play online at all so it wont affect me but I can understand the frustration. You buy used to spend less then have to spend extra to do what you want. However, it is their product and they can do what they want. If in the end it get you to buy new instead of used it has done what they wanted it to do.

Thanks,

Jeff

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Does upper deck get a cut when I resell one of their cards ? Does fridgidaire get a cut when I sell their used refrigerator ? Does ford get a cut when I sell my used Mustang ?

If people were pirating their product I could understand, but you're talking about a legitimate secondary market here. Is there any company that makes money on a secondary market sale ? (just asking. I don't know)

This reminds me of the greedy bastards at ebay ! Whenever a company feels they have a stranglehold on a particular market they rape, rob, and plunder until they're stopped by competition. Remember when ebay raised prices across the board ? EXCEPT for the categories where Amazon was hurting them. In those categories they reduced rates !

metrotheme

5.00 star(s)
This isn't greedy, it's good business. It's like music companies. Once a record is sold, they never get any part of that record / CD being sold at used stores, etc. Same thing here. It's still a better deal than buying the game new.

valediction

5.00 star(s)
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Does upper deck get a cut when I resell one of their cards ? Does fridgidaire get a cut when I sell their used refrigerator ? Does ford get a cut when I sell my used Mustang ?

If people were pirating their product I could understand, but you're talking about a legitimate secondary market here. Is there any company that makes money on a secondary market sale ? (just asking. I don't know)

This reminds me of the greedy bastards at ebay ! Whenever a company feels they have a stranglehold on a particular market they rape, rob, and plunder until they're stopped by competition. Remember when ebay raised prices across the board ? EXCEPT for the categories where Amazon was hurting them. In those categories they reduced rates !

They are taking advantage of the market, just like people selling Strasburg Bowman auto's are doing, or the Topps SP's, or the folks rushing to ebay to sell any player who tosses a perfect game, gets off to a blistering start, etc. The market goes up, everyone wants a piece of it. When their product is being used in tournaments across the country, being the subject of television coverage, they are going to want to cash in. Upper Deck may not get a piece of the card you sell, but they can make another set, and another, etc etc. EA can't release 6 or 7 versions during the year to get you to keep buying.

JJLevitsky

5.00 star(s)
I dont know a whole lot about online gaming. Actually very little. I am guessing that EA is the one providing the way in. And if they want to charge what amounts to an admission price I have no problem with that. They are not getting a cut of the price of the sale. But they are getting paid for extra services they provide and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Thanks,

Jeff

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
I dont know a whole lot about online gaming. Actually very little. I am guessing that EA is the one providing the way in. And if they want to charge what amounts to an admission price I have no problem with that. They are not getting a cut of the price of the sale. But they are getting paid for extra services they provide and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I think that is where the issue lies with gamers. EA does not provide the service, XBox does. And of course you already have to pay XBox to be able to use their Live (online) service. The game ships with online capabilities included, that is part of the manufacturer's argument in regards to the $60+ price tag these games have. Then you have downloadable content in games, which is another way the manufacturers make money off of gamers. Say you want that certain paint color for your car in your favorite racing game and you go to options to change the color. Guess what? Even though you paid $60 for the game, that color is not included in the base game. You have to pay $5 or whatever to download it.

Bottom line is, gamers feel as though they are getting gouged as it is. EA is not making any friends by doing this. I think it is a desperate grab by a desperate company.