eBay Dispute Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackatl

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Hey guys,

I sell stuff pretty regularly on eBay, and I haven't had a dispute in years, but I just had one filed against me and I wanted to see what you guys thought eBay would do if it was escalated to a claim. I just haven't had one of these in so long, and can't believe the dispute that is being made, but really just want to anticipate what eBay's response is going to be since it has been so long.

I sold a 1992 Front Row Gold Factory Sealed set for $249 last week. I checked my email and saw the dispute and here is word-for-word what the buyer posted: "I was inspecting that so called factory sealed set you sent me,,,I can see where the seal has been pried off and put back on,,you should be ashamed of yourself,,its obvious the label has been peeled back and then stuck back on with adhesive,,it's not a factory sealed set,,I need return instructions or I will be contacting ebay,,I see why you only posted 1 picture of the case from the top,,horrible,,just horrible"

Here was my response: "I am sorry you think I have opened this set but I swear to you I have never opened this set, it is factory sealed. I bought this set straight from Front Row over 20 years ago when I was a member of their fan club, and I left it unsealed all these years. I would never unseal it because that would reduce its value. Please know that I am telling the truth. I have 100% feedback and have not had negative feedback in many years. I am an honest man and would not try to cheat you. It could be that, over the past twenty plus years, the tape used to seal the set might have lost some of its stickiness, but I never opened this set. Front Row is not a premium card company like Topps or Upper Deck so it would not surprise me if they used lower quality tape to factory seal their products."

I feel like from here it is just going to go back and forth until he elevates it to a claim, so for those of you are that have more experience with this stuff, what do you think is going to happen? For informational purposes, I sell all my items "Returns not accepted" although I don't know if that really matters. The main thing to me is that he didn't mention anything about the condition being bad or anything, just upset that it appeared to him not to be factory sealed. My main concern is that he is going to file for a refund, get it, send the set back to me and it either will be missing the Jeter or have a worse condition Jeter that the guy swapped out. Anyways, just let me know if you have an idea where this might go, and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks guys!

Jack

Sad to hear, can eBay take the money out of your paypal account just based off of this Buyer's claim and force you to take a return?

If it were me, I would stick to no returns and take the negative.

If he makes it a claim and wins it they are just going to refund his money anyway and you'll still get a negative most likely. Best you can do at this point is make him ship it back to you and give the refund when the case arrives in the condition it was sent it. If not same condition take the hit but at least you get the case back.

If he makes it a claim and wins it they are just going to refund his money anyway and you'll still get a negative most likely. Best you can do at this point is make him ship it back to you and give the refund when the case arrives in the condition it was sent it. If not same condition take the hit but at least you get the case back.

This right here....winner winner chicken dinner. Good luck & sorry to hear this happened.

Sounds good guys, thanks for the help. He actually gave me positive feedback which is really weird, so I am not worrying about the feedback. I wondered if I could use that as evidence against him if it comes down to an eBay claim.

I think the buyer was a little paranoid about the possibility, saw things that their imagination fed and contacted you with anger fueled gusto to intimidate you, but I think your sincerity won them over and that is why they left positive feedback. I think they are done and I would be surprised if you heard from them again.....

Sounds good guys, thanks for the help. He actually gave me positive feedback which is really weird, so I am not worrying about the feedback. I wondered if I could use that as evidence against him if it comes down to an eBay claim.

I say if you handled it properly with him returning & you refunding then there is no reason why he shouldn't have given you a positive.

Poster did not mention that this dispute is closed, I think it is still ongoing. My guess is the seller left him positive feedback and then opened up the dispute.

If they already left you a positive feedback I think that would greatly hamper their ability to win a dispute.
Richard

That's what I was thinking, too. I ended up deciding to just let him return it and I will refund him. As long as it has not been tampered with, I will be able to resell it for a comparable price on eBay.

Jack