Expired redemption question. Need your feedback!!!

yianni_k78

5.00 star(s)
Hey benchies,
So I just opened a box of 07 masterpieces and got a Griffey auto redemption. Unfortunately when I put the code in UD.com it said it was expired. I was wondering if anyone has had experiences w/ expired redemptions. I would love to hear good and bad stories. I've heard a couple of people already but I would like to get a more general consensus of people's experiences.

Thanks gang!!!

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
I think you're sol. Expired is expired. When you buy unopened product you have to factor that into the price you're willing to pay.

I had a funny experience with a redemption. My numbers and dates might not be accurate but you'll get the point. I opened a case of 06 ovation baseball and there were supposed to be 4 exquisite redemptions, I only got 1 (maybe 2). At the same time I also opened a case of 06 ovation basketball, supposed to be 4 (maybe 2) redemption cards, I got NONE. I email ud and they say they'll take care of me and had me send all the packaging to them. This is in say august and the redemptions were good thru november. They jerk me around into the following year so I start making phone calls working my way up the chain of command. About a month goes by but I finally get a "top" (someone who could actually make a decision) customer rep. After a brief explanation of my plight he says, and I swear this is what he said, "sorry Mr Ballard, there's nothing I can do for you because these redemptions have expired".

Fortunately I got ahold of the phone number of one of the top level people that never even deal with the public and told them my story. When they finished laughing, yes laughter, because of the idiot who said he couldn't help me, they took care of me. The whole thing was so ridiculous I made a thread about it which went on and on and on. The whole ordeal lasted well over a year !

yianni_k78

5.00 star(s)
Well I hope I dont get that "Top" customer rep because I would hat to lose this auto. Someone else on this site mentioned that the last time they called for an expired redemption they didnt have an issue and the rep didnt even bring up the expired time frame (and so obviously he didnt as well). Of course I think that there will be different scenarios and outcomes for different situations but I'd love to hear more stories about expired redemptions. I'm glad your situation worked out mintman. Lets keep our fingers crossed for when I call them on Monday!

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
The point was they jerked me around for 8 months or so which is what made the exemptions "expired". It was their fault, not mine

Just remember that anything they do is more than they have to. You are not in a position of strength so remain humble. A little groveling might even be called for. :)

dan5

5.00 star(s)
I tried to send one to Topps once and included a letter stating that I had just purchased the product and pulled it in a pack. They sent it back to me with a big stamp on it that said "EXPIRED"

yianni_k78

5.00 star(s)
mintman-yea i completely agree w/ that. I will beg the person I talk to for even a lesser replacement! The funny thing is I just opened another box of 07 masterpieces and I got another redemption!! This time Glen Perkins....what luck

dan-thanks for the reply. this isnt looking good lol

97honda

5.00 star(s)
I had the same thing happen with Flair for a box of Hockey, and also Topps for a box of Baseball. These are the reasons I now only buy new product or product that doesn't have redemptions. It would be nice if everyone would stop buying products that have redemptions so that the companies may be forced to stop using them.

JamesNevans

5.00 star(s)
Ideally the product would have the players return the autos so that they could get packed out, but people push deadlines and redemptions have to be included. At a certain point the companies have to be able to let a product go and not have to deal with trying to fill cards from products several lines down the road, this goes for replacement cards as well as redemptions. It probably would be better public relations if they had a redemption policy that would at least substitute something of value.

yianni_k78

5.00 star(s)
I agree James. Its silly that you completely lose what is "guaranteed" in the box b/c of a random deadline they put to it. Additionally they should post on the box that there are redemptions in this product and their specific deadline.

chaddie84

5.00 star(s)
I know that UD extended their redemptions from a lot of their 07 sets through 12/1/10...you can't enter them online, but rather mail them in and they will either send your card or a replacement of "equivalent value"....I know this from other guys who have busted some 07 Exquisite Rookies or 07 Sweet Spot Classic in the last few weeks. It's worth a shot...although I believe the actual redemption code shouldn't be exposed when mailed :p.

-Chad

chaddie84

5.00 star(s)
I had the same thing happen with Flair for a box of Hockey, and also Topps for a box of Baseball. These are the reasons I now only buy new product or product that doesn't have redemptions. It would be nice if everyone would stop buying products that have redemptions so that the companies may be forced to stop using them.

A product without redemptions? What are those? I've never heard of them...

yianni_k78

5.00 star(s)
Thanks Chad, yea I heard the same thing about the 07 exquisite set. I already scratched the griffey redemption so I'm going to try calling them tomorrow and see what they say.

Has anyone here had an 07 masterpieces redemption, that was expired, filled by UD?

bdink25

5.00 star(s)
My $0.02 worth is that the card companies get off way too easy on the redemption issue. If they have a product that is supposed to have certain items in it and they can't insert them in the product upon release and resort to inserting redemption cards, then they should have to honor those redemption cards period, reguardless of time. If they don't, then I believe that they are false advertising to move their product. If they can't get the cards they promise, then don't say that they have them.

baseball24

5.00 star(s)
I know that UD extended their redemptions from a lot of their 07 sets through 12/1/10...you can't enter them online, but rather mail them in and they will either send your card or a replacement of "equivalent value"....I know this from other guys who have busted some 07 Exquisite Rookies or 07 Sweet Spot Classic in the last few weeks. It's worth a shot...although I believe the actual redemption code shouldn't be exposed when mailed :p.

-Chad

This is what I have heard as well. I'd definitely try mailing it in.

yianni_k78

5.00 star(s)
so I just spoke w/ Upper deck and the guy said that I can send them in and if they have the item still in their inventory the will send the cards out. If they dont the will send something else in its place. This depends if they havent given those "expired" items out as replacement redemptions. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they still have MY Griffey!!!

I'll keep you all posted when I get the cards in

David K.

5.00 star(s)
so I just spoke w/ Upper deck and the guy said that I can send them in and if they have the item still in their inventory the will send the cards out. If they dont the will send something else in its place. This depends if they havent given those "expired" items out as replacement redemptions. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they still have MY Griffey!!!

I'll keep you all posted when I get the cards in

Fingers crossed for you...Best regads, David