Fergie Jenkins in Everett - August

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Just read where Fergie Jenkins is scheduled to appear at an Everett Aqua Sox game in August. I have kept an eye on this event for several years now, as i have been able to obtain multiple signatures of past signers Gaylord Perry, Dan Wilson, Dave Stewart and Rollie Fingers. It seems to be getting harder to get multiples though. It just depends on the player and the crowd, not to mention the signing habits of the players and how strict the staff are. With the help of my family I was able to get 4 items per trip through the line, but some guys like Perry didn't even have a line at the tail end and i ran out of items for him to sign. Stewart was an eager signer who signed just about anything you put in front of him, but i just ran out of time otherwise i could have had him sign more. Fingers was a 1 per trip stickler and was my least fruitful haul and Wilson even gave away extra signed photos, but I didn't have much for him to sign to begin with. It's been hit and miss for sure.

If anyone lives close, it is always a fun event and a great way to add some free autographs to your collection.

Man, that sounds like fun! I love it when minor league clubs do something like this. It's great for the fans! have fun and I wish you a world of success from my favorite '74 Ranger!

Met Mr. Jenkins last night. Actually, I had previously met him briefly at the 2001 AS Fan Fest, but that was a much less intimate and more crazy setting than this.

He was a very gracious signer last night. He joked around, answered questions and was a great guest. He looked great for 70, but was using a cane! As usual, I convinced the family to help me secure a few more autographs. I got 2 trips through the line out of them and I continued to go back as long as i could. The one disappointing part was: The lines were the shortest i have ever seen at one of these and with line dwindled down to about 5 people and another 1/2 hour to go of the "advertised" signing period, one of the staff "suggested" that I'd had enough trips through the line!! I was a little shocked, but didn't argue and left to watch the game. I assume he figured i was getting autos to sell (which would be dead wrong in my case). Maybe i was pushing it for free autographs, but I figure if the player is there for a set time frame, what harm is it to keep going back, especially if the line dies down to a handful of people? I paid the ticket price and waited patiently in line each time and thanked Mr. Jenkins each time. Some great cards signed though, including 2 rookie cards!

Thank you to the Everett Aquasox and to Mr. Jenkins himself for the signing. I look forward to these each time they host one and hope to see more in the future.

Really wanted to go to that as I have three cards I really need him on. Originally it was scheduled for the 23rd which was perfect. I secured the cards and waited for August to roll around. Then the date got changed to a night I worked, one of only 5 Saturdays I work all year, doh! Maybe next time. Meanwhile I am getting 2 of my cards done through someone on SCN for $10 each, still a pretty good rate when you figure what I would have spent on gas, food, and tickets. Anyway, hope they do another HOFer next year and I don't just happen to work again.

What else did you get signed? I met him at Twinsfest a couple years ago and got him on a 76 Topps card (I wasn't expecting him since it was a Twins geared event, so I had to grab something at the show, and the pickings were slim) and the $10/item price (upped to $20 last year) kept me from getting more than one autograph. I'd love to see a setup like that around here from time to time.

Ed, I wish you would have contacted me. I probably could have got him for you. i doubt I got the cards you needed, as i went for the most oddball stuff i had mostly.

Some multi-signed (now!) 70s LL cards, sportcaster, red lobster Cubs, Thorn Apple Valley Cubs, couple newer GU cards, 67 T, 66 T, 75T & Mini, 76 Hostess, Burgerchef disc, etc.

My boys each got old an glove of mine (that they use now) sighed as well.

Glad you had a great time! I love those old Burger Chef discs from '77. I have some a few of those unused kids meal boxes they came from with complete sets of Astros discs. Brings back memories of one of my favorite fast food restaurants from way back.

My wife saw the back and wondered what it was about. Never ate at a Burger Chef (not sure they were in WA), but the set was cool. My favorites are the Wiffle ball discs, mainly because I remember actually getting a few back when they were new. I still have a well loved Frank Tanana Wiffle disc.

very cool..Fergie's a great guy..met him a few times here in the metroplex..sounds like fun

Fergie was one of my best TTMs as a kid. I wrote to his home in Canada and put a US return stamp on it (didn't know any better).

He signed my 84 Fleer and dropped it off in the mail on a trip into the US.
It was postmarked April 29, 1986 from Phoenix, AZ, so maybe he was in town for Spring Training.