Finished With Football

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steelers8873

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello everyone,

So I went into the local Walmart to see what kinda cards they had available and I saw they had some hangar boxes and blaster boxes of Mosaic football. I wanted to try to keep it relatively cheap so I opted for the hanger box I figured ah... I can drop$15 or $20 on this hanger box and I had not bought any sealed product of football in over a year due to prices. Considering football is my main sport I collect and up until last year the only sport I collected so the cashier rings it up and tells me the total and I had to pick my jaw up off the floor as she tells me the total. $30 FOR A FREAKING HANGER BOX!!! against my better judgement I bought it and took it home and opened it and it was 20 cards of junk so it's official I'm done with football I will keep my collection and sit on it but looks like I'm strictly baseball from here on out. It's a damn shame this hobby has gotten to this point.

Sadly I haven't bought any retail in a long time. It's either impossible to find or prices have gone up. I stick to singles now.

Sorry to hear about your experience and I've seen the same. Here's a tip though--at card shows, you can get a hanger-looking box of 2021 Prizm Draft Picks and those are really nice cards. You're guaranteed to get some rookies and a few parallels. There's a bonus pack in there that will contain some red prizm parallels (here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4031260628...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557). They usually go for about $15. Also, the 2021 Leaf Signature box is only about $30-35 and you'll get a HOF auto in there along with 1 or 2 others, along with cheaper/low end rookie cards.
Hope that helps!

Hello everyone,

So I went into the local Walmart to see what kinda cards they had available and I saw they had some hangar boxes and blaster boxes of Mosaic football. I wanted to try to keep it relatively cheap so I opted for the hanger box I figured ah... I can drop$15 or $20 on this hanger box and I had not bought any sealed product of football in over a year due to prices. Considering football is my main sport I collect and up until last year the only sport I collected so the cashier rings it up and tells me the total and I had to pick my jaw up off the floor as she tells me the total. $30 FOR A FREAKING HANGER BOX!!! against my better judgement I bought it and took it home and opened it and it was 20 cards of junk so it's official I'm done with football I will keep my collection and sit on it but looks like I'm strictly baseball from here on out. It's a damn shame this hobby has gotten to this point.

So no stars at all?

That's a real drag, sorry friend. Cards are an expensive hobby at the moment, and probably wrongfully so, as I feel like you are telling about a really common experience....all that money for THIS?

I gave up on football cards quite a few decades ago...almost like hockey better. I'm solely MLB and NBA these days. I call the NFL the not for long league. Why would I want to be interested in cards for a league where the average player is gone in 3 years? Unless you are a QB or WR, that is.

The playoffs were so great last year, it regained some lost interest for me, but ever since the Goodell era, I have lost mucho interest, as well.

I also play a ton of fantasy sports. I'd say NFL leagues are my 4th favorite. MLB and NBA are pretty close...NHL 3rd.

I'm probably in the minority here, but maybe not. Some have theorized that 50 years from now, NFL will be like Horse Racing and Boxing.

Needless to say, the sports talk shows that seemingly talk football 24/7/365 do not remain on my tv or radio for very long.:)

First off. That sucks and holy crap I would hae said never mind and left. And second, you better be lying because once my buddy is back from Spain I'll have some of those WoodsonsI asked you about a while ago, and if I get stuck with a buncha freakin' Raider cards.... actually they're pretty sweet and I wouldnt be all that upset. I've only bought one of those things this year, or in the past many many years. I lucked out with mine, and if it hadnt been for the $50 short print I got I too would have been sad. So, yeah, bring back boxes of 36 packs that I don;t have to work 5 days to pay for and I'll buy a box. Until then, I treat packs like one dollar scratch tickets... maybe one or two once or twice a month when the feeling strikes me and I'm there at the gas station (card shop in this case) anyway.