For all of my Bench buddies... some info

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
We had to evacuate our home Wednesday night due to a wildfire. I was able to get back there this morning and everything is still OK, but the fires are creeping closer. Cal Fire and our local department are working on holding it back, and so far they’ve done one hell of a job. I can only hope things stay in their favor and they can save our little town.

On th plus side, I was able to get most of my high-value sets and cards out (it’s why I went back today, actually) so I feel a little better about that. If I lose those boxes of ‘92 Leaf and ‘93 Topps commons, I won’t be TOO upset. Had I lost the Ripken collection... that would have been another story completely. But the important thing is, family (including the dog) is safe, cards are safe, and I grabbed my Eagles jersies from the closet today (left the tux, though... what was I thinking?) If I have any trades working, I think I got them all out before things hit the fan - if I didn’t, PM me and I’ll look around to see if I still have them. Our mail is being held right now so I won’t be getting any incoming for a few days at least.

Stay safe and I hope to be back at full trading strength soon.

Best,
Dan

jflan702

5.00 star(s)
Good luck Dan. I hope the FD continue doing a great job to save as much as possible. Glad that you and the family are safe.

jmboehm33

5.00 star(s)
We had to evacuate our home Wednesday night due to a wildfire. I was able to get back there this morning and everything is still OK, but the fires are creeping closer. Cal Fire and our local department are working on holding it back, and so far they’ve done one hell of a job. I can only hope things stay in their favor and they can save our little town.

On th plus side, I was able to get most of my high-value sets and cards out (it’s why I went back today, actually) so I feel a little better about that. If I lose those boxes of ‘92 Leaf and ‘93 Topps commons, I won’t be TOO upset. Had I lost the Ripken collection... that would have been another story completely. But the important thing is, family (including the dog) is safe, cards are safe, and I grabbed my Eagles jersies from the closet today (left the tux, though... what was I thinking?) If I have any trades working, I think I got them all out before things hit the fan - if I didn’t, PM me and I’ll look around to see if I still have them. Our mail is being held right now so I won’t be getting any incoming for a few days at least.

Stay safe and I hope to be back at full trading strength soon.

Best,
Dan

Oh man, stay safe!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Glad to hear u and your family are safe! They hired extra firefighters for the coming season! The smoke from all the fires north of us looks like the theres fires all around us......when u see the sun thru clouds and smoke ....its looks red! Best regards, David

SymphonicMetal

5.00 star(s)
Fire is my greatest fear and has been for many, many years so I certainly sympathize with you. I'm happy to hear you got the family, the good cards and the pets out in time. Stay safe and good luck!

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
Thank you, everyone. It means a lot to us.

I was a firefighter for 27 years back east, and we would see the California wildfires on TV and joke “give us a couple 2 1/2 inch lines, we’ll knock those down in no time”. Little did we know. Let me rephrase that - we didn’t know squat.

If any of you have ever seen the movie “Backdraft”, the best scene in the movie (other than the action shots) is when Robert DeNiro tells the rookie arson investigator that “fire is a living, breathing thing”. That’s what these wildfires are - living, breathing things - and it takes a lot to stop them. Without sufficient water supply, personnel, and air support - it will run you over. In an urban setting, you can bring in enough engines, ladders and personnel through mutual aid. Water supply is usually not a problem because of hydrant systems.

Out in the redwoods - we don’t have that. Hydrants are few and far between, and water tankers are relied on instead to bring in water and dump it into holding tanks - then an engine company has to suck up that water from the tank - it’s called drafting, and it’s a skill - to send the water from the engines to the hose lines. In 27 years, I drafted exactly once, and I almost screwed it up. (Key word - ALMOST - finally found the loose intake cap that was stopping me from pulling suction) A lot of the work on a fire line is heavy hand work, with backpack water tanks and a tool called a Pulaski - like a combo rake/shovel - it is to a wild land firefighter what our entry tools (Halligans - named for the FDNY firefighter who designed it) were to us. Anyway, I’m rambling. Nervous energy does that to me.

Again, thanks, guys and ladies. Send a few prayers for the safety of my brothers and sisters on the lines, that conditions are favorable and that they can knock this fire out.

mrhaverkamp

5.00 star(s)
Thanks for update, Dan....was concerned when I heard your town got evacuated. Hopefully if (the collective bay area) "we" get through tonight's threat of more lightning storms that the last major threat will be dodged and the thousands of personnel can knock out the danger in the thousands of acres that are involved. The air quality in my town this afternoon registered the worst level in history and I don't even want to go out for the next couple of days. -- Jim

3greyhounds

5.00 star(s)
Jim, I don’t blame you. The wind shift that helped our area (opened the fire up to air support - YES!) is now sending all the smoke northeast - right at you, unfortunately. We’re in South San Jose, so it’s not too bad, but I think you’re also getting the smoke from the fire on the east side of SJ.

If we can only get a nice, steady rain with minimal lightning out of this, it would be a HUGE help. Take care of you and yours and we’ll be trading again, hopefully soon.

Best,
Dan

yankees1

5.00 star(s)
Stay safe friend, hope things get back to normal for you and the family sooner rather than later. God Bless

David K.

5.00 star(s)
We get the worst of the smoke as it goes down the valley and settles in Central Valley.......Danger alert for the kids and people to stay indoors with asthma or breathin problems......as smoke can cause an asthma attack. Only a strong wind can remove it! Best regards, David

Last edited: