Getting to the hobby I loved

JudgesChamber99

Bench Warmer
Hello everyone. I am getting back to the hobby I loved for 25 years and I wanted to join a forum to trade and just talk sports with people. I starts my collecting back in 1992 when I went to my grandmas neighbors house and bought his inventory of 1991 Score Hockey. I have been a huge Penguins fan since 1988 and a huge Lemieux fan. I soon started collecting baseball after watching a Braves vs Reds game on and really liking their pitcher Tom Glavine. I collected anything Braves or Penguins I could get my hands on. I soon started venturing into basketball and started collecting Damon Stoudamire, which I built into a 400 card collection. After HS I then enlisted in the US Submarine Service and my love for hockey exploded. After 15 years of collecting, being married, and 2 kids, I decided to hang up my collection and sell off 95% of everything. I didn't completely leave the hobby as I started to play the Topps apps of Skate and Bunt and slowly built decent accounts there. Fast forward to this past Christmas and my wife asked me if I wanted to get back into collecting again. I decided to sell off my bunt account and fund my new baseball collection.
Sorry for being so wordy, but I wanted to get a little history of my collecting. I am currently collecting 2020 Topps Chrome and a few other sets. I collect only cards that appeal to me for my player collections. The players I collect are Judge, Garciaparra (only Boston), Glavine (only Braves) and Chipper Jones. I hope to get to know most of you and trade for some sets. If you have gotten this far, thanks for reading

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Hi @JudgesChamber99!

First of all, thank you for your service!

I was a Braves fan when I was a kid, too. They were easy to be fans of back then. Glavine, Maddux, McGriff and Chipper were all my favorites. Sounds like our collecting stories are similar too. I collected when I was young, quit for some time, and started again when I was married with children.

I'm sure you'll find no shortage of trade opportunities here. In fact, I'd expect you to get a few going in this thread over the next few days.

Welcome to The Bench, and good luck with your collection. Topps Chrome is a beautiful set to collect!

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
Thank for your service! Welcome to The Bench! Best regards, David PS currently the last 34 years in Fresno city.....were Judge played for the Fresno State Bulldogs....before being drafted by the Yankees.

JudgesChamber99

Bench Warmer
Hi @JudgesChamber99!

First of all, thank you for your service!

I was a Braves fan when I was a kid, too. They were easy to be fans of back then. Glavine, Maddux, McGriff and Chipper were all my favorites. Sounds like our collecting stories are similar too. I collected when I was young, quit for some time, and started again when I was married with children.

I'm sure you'll find no shortage of trade opportunities here. In fact, I'd expect you to get a few going in this thread over the next few days.

Welcome to The Bench, and good luck with your collection. Topps Chrome is a beautiful set to collect!
They were a good team to cheer for. Whenever I played neighborhood baseball I wanted to be Glavine because we were both lefties. Thanks for the welcome and I hope to get some trades done.

Mike121

Pro
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Whenever I played neighborhood baseball I wanted to be Glavine because we were both lefties. Thanks for the welcome and I hope to get some trades done.
Ahh, the good ol' days! I was always Maddux when I pitched. I was a righty, but taught myself how to bat left handed so I could be Griffey at the plate.

You won't have any trouble getting trades done, I'm sure. I'd suggest starting up a thread in one of the trade forums with a list of what you're looking for, along with what you have available for trade.

JudgesChamber99

Bench Warmer
Ahh, the good ol' days! I was always Maddux when I pitched. I was a righty, but taught myself how to bat left handed so I could be Griffey at the plate.

You won't have any trouble getting trades done, I'm sure. I'd suggest starting up a thread in one of the trade forums with a list of what you're looking for, along with what you have available for trade.
Maddux was an artist when pitching. I am amazed at his 110 pitch completes he used to pitch on a regular basis.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
What boat were on on? I was on the Hartford for 5 and 1/2 years. Served on that boat from 2000 to 2005 and then went out to Great Lakes as an RDC and pushed 9 divisions before retiring in 2009. I was on three ships before I transferred over to subs.

JudgesChamber99

Bench Warmer
What boat were on on? I was on the Hartford for 5 and 1/2 years. Served on that boat from 2000 to 2005 and then went out to Great Lakes as an RDC and pushed 9 divisions before retiring in 2009. I was on three ships before I transferred over to subs.
I was on the Jacksonville from 02-06. That's cool you went from ships to subs. Wasn't the Hartford in PSNY during that time? I know we were from 04-06

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was on the Jacksonville from 02-06. That's cool you went from ships to subs. Wasn't the Hartford in PSNY during that time? I know we were from 04-06
The Hartford was not in the yards when I was on it. I was on it when we ran aground in La Madd, Italy. Scraped the bottom because the Nav read the chart wrong. He thought we had 5000 yards to the turn but it was only 500 yards. Did about 3 million in damage. We had to replace the rudder down in Portsmouth, VA.