Gloom and Doom in the financial department for a first year league

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pltcards

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Maybe it is just me, but I don't think we are going to kick teams out of this league after the first year that are honestly trying to maintain a decent team, with a lot of contracts that were not under their control when we started.

Some teams are going to be much better off financially than others no doubt, but I don't see a reason to panic and mortgage a future success to unload some bum contracts. I guess maybe we need to have a discussion about what we expect teams to maintain or outcome to have at the end of this season so that someone does not throw away their top talent to get rid of a one or two year lousy contract.

I would rather void unfair trades now and help teams survive that try and survive , then to see them end up with a minor league of bums when those contracts expire or can be moved.

I know we saved a couple of teams in the old league from themselves and ended up with a pretty good bunch of owners who kept their bank accounts pretty healthy. It was a learning experience and Cory adjusted $$ limits and loaned money to help some survive.

I just start to sense some urgency here to unload top young stars and I think that is not what we should be encouraging to help all teams stay viable and keep a competitive league that will last a long time. I don't think anyone wants to burn this one out and start another one in the future.

I guess my message is make sure you want to make a move before you make it.

JMO. Pat

If you havent already done so, Take a good look at the actual Contracts of players.

Take Roger Clemens for example:

He is hurt for another month for me and is making 20.2 Million dollars 07 and 08. However, 08 is a vestment option, Clemens needs to accrue 180 IP to guarentee his contract for 08, at this point it is already highly unlikely that he will reach 180 IP considering hes already been out a month and will be out another one, So If he doesnt retire, but is under 180 IP for 07 I can drop him him at the end of 07 because his 08 contract is void.

The software allows you to see alot of things the original league did not, so keep that in mind with some of these contracts.

I couldn't agree more with your statement, Pat. Thanks for posting your thoughts as I'm sure it's in line with how others (like myself) are thinking.

Steph

One good idea is to check vesting options... if you have a player with a huge contract who has a vesting option, and you are out of the playoff race, you can always bench them. I have Jeff Kent who is offered 11.5 mil if he gets 550 PA this season. If I am out of contention when it comes close I will set him on the bench and force the issue with his contract status. Just an idea that might help some teams out after this season.

- Chris