Grading Guide Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierBuddy

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I'm not talking about Beckett or PSA or whomever encapsulates cards. I'm looking for suggestions of books or websites where I might find visual and descriptive help with how to grade my vintage collection. I've only recently really started picking up Vintage cards, and I'm not too overly concerned about condition (hey -- the worse the condition, the more likely I can afford it), but I'd at least like to know what I've got here. Insurance purposes and all.

But as I've never really dealt with cards, I'm not certain what constitutes a certain grade.

And PLEASE don't tell me to send in cards to see what Beckett, etc grade them as. If I had the money to grade a lot of cards, I wouldn't be worrying about the condition because I'd be buying the higher-end or pre-graded junk I see on eBay all the time.

Thank you for any help in advance!

I've always thought Mark's website did a terrific job describing the most applicable characteristics of grading in a very understandable way; in fact it's through his site that I originally found The Bench 10+ years ago! I don't really care about the nuances of a PSA/BGS grade between 6 and 7; so that's why Mark's writeup always worked for me. -- Jim

So how does one become a "professional grader?"
I've always thought it was just a racket and a pretty clever one at that.
Ken