Grienke to the Diamondbacks

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Just heard the report that Grienke signed a six year deal with Arizona. I did not see this one coming.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Holy Cow! 206 million for 6 years....that's about 34 million a year!! Best regards, David

If Price for $31 mil/year was crazy, this is ludicrous!!! I understand that it is an arms race in MLB, but GM's, please stop doing this to yourselves!!!!

Just as a point of reference, I believe that the Phillies still have time left on Cliff Lee's contract. And he hasn't pitched in two years.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Definitely did not see this coming. Hasn't the recent success of KC shown that teams do not have to overspend on free agents to win?

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Definitely did not see this coming. Hasn't the recent success of KC shown that teams do not have to overspend on free agents to win?

Owners and GM's cannot protect themselves from each other. But if the teams have the money to pay it I do not blame the players for taking it.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Owners and GM's cannot protect themselves from each other. But if the teams have the money to pay it I do not blame the players for taking it.
I certainly don't blame the players either. Lord know if I had the kind of money thrown at me that they are, I'd certainly take it.

It's just these long term, high price contracts rarely pay off for the team in the long run. Then again if the top salaries did not rise due to competition between the owners, the players union may cry "collusion".