help with planning a flight...

O

oldmarine0311

I know this is kind of odd but I need help with airlines and flying. I know several of you have had to suffer through air flights and all the recent hoop de haw that goes along with it. But I am a country boy and I don’t fly for several reasons, anyway…
I am planning on sending my older sister and mother down to Houston to visit her older brother for his bday, as he has had a few strokes and in a nursing home.
My questions are several and here goes. Baggage fees? I plan on flying them via Alaska airlines, they will do the first security check at a small regional airport here at Walla Walla a few miles away and then off to Seattle and Houston.
Mom is in her 70’s and gets around as well as anyone so does my sister. What should I plan on in planning for them? I don’t think they will have food on the plane; can they purchase stuff after they pass security? Can they take one of them neck pillows for personal comfort? Medication, should they keep it in their carry on and those typical ladies purses, should I have them cull them down for easy passing through security?
And any other advice for them. I plan on booking the flight through price line is this a good place to book the flight hotel and car? I guess I just need help I haven’t had to fly in the last 12 years so I really don’t know what to expect, everything is new and always changing.

Dave

PitofSteel

5.00 star(s)
I know this is kind of odd but I need help with airlines and flying. I know several of you have had to suffer through air flights and all the recent hoop de haw that goes along with it. But I am a country boy and I don’t fly for several reasons, anyway…
I am planning on sending my older sister and mother down to Houston to visit her older brother for his bday, as he has had a few strokes and in a nursing home.
My questions are several and here goes. Baggage fees? I plan on flying them via Alaska airlines, they will do the first security check at a small regional airport here at Walla Walla a few miles away and then off to Seattle and Houston.
Mom is in her 70’s and gets around as well as anyone so does my sister. What should I plan on in planning for them? I don’t think they will have food on the plane; can they purchase stuff after they pass security? Can they take one of them neck pillows for personal comfort? Medication, should they keep it in their carry on and those typical ladies purses, should I have them cull them down for easy passing through security?
And any other advice for them. I plan on booking the flight through price line is this a good place to book the flight hotel and car? I guess I just need help I haven’t had to fly in the last 12 years so I really don’t know what to expect, everything is new and always changing.

Dave

Dave,
Baggage fees range around $25 or so depending on airlines. Southwest doesnt charge however. As for food once you pass security you can purchase food and drinks etc. I believe you can take a neck pillow. Medication shouldnt be a problem. However TSA guidelines say that you cant have any liquid over a certain ounce. I dont recall off hand. You can visit the TSA website and they give you all the info you need. I usually check Orbitz.com or Kayak.com. Security is pretty straight foward. Take you shoes, belts, any metal off and your good to go.
Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK
Chris

Droubaysports

5.00 star(s)
medication is no issue regardless of how much however if she is diabetic and carries needles she will need a drs note. i would NEVER check medicine. Club Quarters in downtown houston is nice an din a good area. priceline, travelocity (better) kayak etc