Manny Ramirez
Edgar Renteria
Arthur Rhodes
Ivan Rodriguez
Freddy Sanchez
Matt Stairs
Jason Varitek
Tim Wakefield

I think this is a pretty strong field this year, hope to see Trevor Hoffman get in, I wonder about Tim Raines....looks like it still may not happen for Lee Smith!

First ballot first timers? Not seeing any!

what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

worldwideed

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Where are you getting these figures? The data I have access to is waaaaaay different.
From what I'm seeing Raines and Bags are LOCKS with IRod (1st ballot) being on the bubble.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Oh I see it now, those are last years totals.
Here is a link to the current know public ballot totals. There is a twitter guy that keeps track of this stuff and logs it all. Basically by this point you can predict with decent success who will make it. The names I mentioned in my post.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx...=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAAsz3uDsmqy_Vw

WOW Ed, those are some stats! Vegas odds....thanks for the resource , that is cool to see.....should be a good class this year, or so it would seem for starters!

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
I'll go with two or three making the hof........saw Bagwell stats.......did not hit 500 home runs or even 3,000 hits...Best regards, David

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'd definitely say Irod should go in. To me he and Roberto Alomar were the most overlooked talents in the game in recent time. Thankfully Alomar got in and hopefully Irod will too. If he is not a first ballot guy, I don't what it takes to be one.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was just looking to see if IRod was ever nailed for PEDs and according to Wikipedia (I know not the most reliable source at times) he was only under suspicion. If in fact that is the case, there is no way he should not get in on the first ballot. If suspicion is all it takes to keep you out, that is crazy. There are plenty of guys who I am suspicious of PED use that get into both the baseball and football HOFs.

Sportnut08

MVP
5.00 star(s)
My brother and I had this discussion the other day and came up with this as our ballot:
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Mike Messina
Tim Raines
Jeff Bagwell
Vladimir Guerrero
Manny Ramirez
Ivan Rodriguez
Jeff Kent
Edgar Martinez

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was just looking to see if IRod was ever nailed for PEDs and according to Wikipedia (I know not the most reliable source at times) he was only under suspicion. If in fact that is the case, there is no way he should not get in on the first ballot. If suspicion is all it takes to keep you out, that is crazy. There are plenty of guys who I am suspicious of PED use that get into both the baseball and football HOFs.

I could be mistaken (it happens a lot) - but Clemens and McGwire were never nailed for PED's. McGwire had the Creatine in his locker, but it wasn't a banned substance at the time and Clemens was NOT proven guilty of taking anything after a congressional investigation. In for a penny..in for a pound.

Looking at the ballot, I wonder more about how some of these guys got on it, moreso than who may get in. Why are we wasting our time with Mike Cameron and Matt Stairs, etc.

Gnep31

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Pudge is a first ballot guy. He is one of the greatest catchers to play the game.

I don't believe Bonds should even be on the ballot for what he did to the game. Not trying to change the focus of the thread by any means.

Thanks for posting the info!

budd2222

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Is the HOF only for the offensive players ? Look at Jeff Kent great bat poor glove. Tony Oliva should have snuck in but a very bad glove kept him out. Should Manny Ramirez be let in with a suspension for drug use?

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Is the HOF only for the offensive players ? Look at Jeff Kent great bat poor glove. Tony Oliva should have snuck in but a very bad glove kept him out. Should Manny Ramirez be let in with a suspension for drug use?

Bill Mazeroski got in for his glove. I think it may have been by the Veterans Committee though. And Ozzie Smith got in on the first ballot primarily because of his glove.

SymphonicMetal

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Well it looks like Pudge got in as well as Bagwell and Raines. To me Pudge was a lock, Bagwell was debatable and Raines to me was a very good player but not a Hall of Famer. I don't have the numbers to back me up on Bagwell and Raines but that is just how I viewed them as a fan, albeit not a hardcore one.

Apparently Hoffman and Vlad got close. I kind of viewed Vlad as a sure shot HOFer but probably not on his first attempt.

I'd put Bonds and Clemens in for sure despite whatever rumors or facts swirl around them. I always viewed them as HOFers.

pmanningsfan73

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Pretty sure the numbers for Bagwell were good. I wouldn't think that Raines had the numbers but apparently he was a favorite so he got in. I was glad to that Pudge & Bags got in though.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I'm happy that Raines finally got in. If he played in any other era, his name would have emerged as an all time great. Unfortunately, he was a contemporary of Rickey Henderson who let's be honest was other-worldly in terms of ability, achievements and durability.

Compare him instead to Tony Gwynn, a fantastic all time legend and first ballot Hall of Famer. In addition to blowing him out of the water in stolen bases (808, 5th all time to 319, 147th all time), he edged Gwynn out with number of times on base - a more telling statistic than a traditional one such as career hits. However, because he received far more walks than Gwynn did, people perceive Raines as an inferior player. I think back to playing little league coaches telling kids that getting a walk was just as good as getting a single, but considering singles (and hence hits) more valuable than hits opposes this notion. For those of you thinking that singles naturally lead to more RBIs and thus have more value, consider this statistic, both Raines and Gwynn have the same exactly number of career runs created (1636, 61st all time) part of this total are the number of RBIs a player is credited for producing.

Just my two cents, but I think that Raines was a victim of perception rather than reality.

Again I'm thrilled to see him finally in.

As for Bagwell, he deserves to be there but it just stings that he was a Native New Englander who was drafted and developed by the Red Sox only to be traded at the 1990 trade deadline for a middling relief pitcher who bolted the following season via free agency.

Pudge Rodriguez is a true first ballot guy. Curious to see that he only received barely enough votes for enshrinement.

katester44

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Well it looks like Pudge got in as well as Bagwell and Raines. To me Pudge was a lock, Bagwell was debatable and Raines to me was a very good player but not a Hall of Famer. I don't have the numbers to back me up on Bagwell and Raines but that is just how I viewed them as a fan, albeit not a hardcore one.

Apparently Hoffman and Vlad got close. I kind of viewed Vlad as a sure shot HOFer but probably not on his first attempt.

I'd put Bonds and Clemens in for sure despite whatever rumors or facts swirl around them. I always viewed them as HOFers.

Agree completely on Bonds and Clemens - I can't stand Bonds, but he is a HOF candidate. Looking at the numbers on Pudge, probably should be in - and based on the percentage, not everyone was sure he was first ballot material. Raines, again looking at the numbers, probably should be in, completely overshadowed by Rickey. Bagwell - don't see it. PED rumors. Injury cut career short. Big one for me - four, repeat four, All Star teams - that isn't marginal, that is out.