How did you find THE BENCH???

Lyrical Kees

I don't know how to get my signature pop up in my responding to a thread. This new layout is taking me a while to learn, argh.......

Franklinguy52

I have been on SCC for years. I have been collecting for 40 years, although I lost my collection at one time and had to start over. I am a huge Reds fan (even if they can not score 1 run in the playoffs!). I am always looking to trade and will post some trade bait soon

Mike121

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I have been on SCC for years. I have been collecting for 40 years, although I lost my collection at one time and had to start over. I am a huge Reds fan (even if they can not score 1 run in the playoffs!). I am always looking to trade and will post some trade bait soon

Welcome aboard, Troy!

metsman1986

5.00 star(s)
Welcome + ENJOY!

Mike

dlackey

5.00 star(s)
Welcome to the bench. If you have any wantlists post them up and will see what I can find for you.

Dennis

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
Let's see...it's more interesting (or less interesting to some, as I have been told I tell some dull and meaningless stories at times) to detail my online card trading/chat history:

I first logged on to the WWW in 1996. I was a student at the University of Washington and we were required to have an email address so teachers could reach us. Before this, I had never had an email account or surfed the web. I quickly found myself spending time at the Beckett marketplace. I bought mainly, but traded on occasion. Friends and classmates who knew I collected cards kept telling me to try this new site (Ebay). I ignored them for almost 2 years until I finally checked it out in early 1998. I was hooked from the start. I gradually stopped going to Beckett and began conducting all of my card purchases on ebay.

At the time, I also did periodic searches for other card locations. I ended up posting my contact information at baseballcards.com (not sure if it's still around, never went back). A guy calls me a few weeks later. We strike up an internet friendship and have been trading cross country ever since.

A few years back (maybe 2000-2001), I discovered the ebay chat rooms. I spent a few months as a regular in the trading card chat room. Unlike this site, business was not allowed, so conversation had to be about the industry or other trading card related topics. No selling or trading was allowed at all. This is what interested me, so I became a regular. Pretty soon, it felt too much like like a clique. Most of the "regulars" knew each other and the discussions were mainly personal and non-card or even non-sport related. A lot of "How was your vacation? "I hear your dog died", "Phil is going in for pancreas surgery" etc. To be honest, this stuff BORED ME! I was there to discuss the hobby and maybe a side topic every now and again that was personal in nature to help get to know these people. I mean, some of these people do become "friends" even though you will probably never meet after all. I finally quit going into the chat room because people just got predictable and dull.

Fast forward to March of this year. I had not done any card related activities other than bidding on ebay for the last several years and had all but forgotton these other activiities. My trade buddy who I mentioned earlier (who had tried linking me to various other card related websites in the past that I had never stuck with for more than a look or two) links me to Topps.com.

Immediately I feel like I am back at ebay chat during the good times, but with the opportunity to discuss business if I felt like it. Many of the non-trade related topics were interesting and so were some of the people. I got hooked and would check back nightly after work to see what had been said that day.

Many other sites were mentioned in conversations (including the bench). When topics would get heated and some egos were engorged, you'd see more people complaining about how horrible Topps had gotten and they would try to direct people to other sites. It seemed that the bench had a lot of positive references, so I tried it.

At first, I didn't like the format. It was more confusing to me vs. the similar Topps format, but I grew to understand my way around and enjoy it. I have now made the bench my primiary chat/trade site after breaking my 6 month stint at Topps.

One thing I'd like to mention though. I enjoy debates on interesting topics. There were several good ones I participated in at Topps, but there are a few people who are not mature enough to handle other people. These people have apparently soured the site to many. I still like to check Topps and see what is happening. I don't think anything specific that happened in the last 6 months since I have been there would make me leave in itself. Pure and simple, that site is so trade oriented that it became a hassle to find non-trade topics and they would die quickly because people just wanted to trade, unless it was something stupid like "Who hates Barry Bonds?". Those topics seem to appeal to that group. There is nothing wrong with just wanting to trade...but I prefer more than just trade talk.

OK, If you got this far you MUST BE BORED!! HAHA...
Just went back to see if I posted and I had...15 years ago! Looks like I joined in 2005. My trading buddy who directed me here and I are still friends. The trading has slowed to a crawl, but we still talk on the phone every couple of months or less. We finally met in person after 20 years of online friendship, resulting in a road trip to Cooperstown, NY together. It was both weird and familiar at the same time. Good times.