How Long Is Too Long Before Subtracting Points For Delivery Time

Rarthur

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hi, I was wondering when you all think is too long of a wait time before you start docking trader rating points for delivery time.

Specifically if the person sent first

pac_rat_76

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I would at least contact them via PM first to check on when/if they sent it. Also keep in mind that USPS is not immune to losing packages entirely as I have been a victim of a few times over the last couple of years. If they sent and you have not received anything after 2-3 weeks, then it might be safe to consider that it's lost in transit somewhere. That's just my .02 on it...others may disagree.

Rarthur

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have already received the item, I was just trying to decide if it was worthy of a 5 or not, it took 15 days to get here and was not mailed until 11 days after the date when the trade was confirmed

pac_rat_76

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Sorry, was under the assumption you had yet to receive it. I guess it's really up to you then. I tend to think that as long as I receive my card(s) within two weeks then there is no reason to deduct rating. 15 days is right on the edge but I would still go with a 5.0.

Yanks21

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Agree

Sorry, was under the assumption you had yet to receive it. I guess it's really up to you then. I tend to think that as long as I receive my card(s) within two weeks then there is no reason to deduct rating. 15 days is right on the edge but I would still go with a 5.0.

Well said.

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
15 days always get a 5 from me...not everyone can mail out their trade in a few days. Best regards, David

Last edited:

tribefan

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Also consider that this is a hobby.

Most of us have every intention to be timely with our trades but I can confirm a trade and two minutes later have something happen in the important part of my life... my family, my job,.... that keeps me from touching the hobby for days, weeks. It's rare, but happens.

Myerburg311

MVP
4.90 star(s)
I always leave 5.0s unless there was a real big problem.. I only mark down shipping when I get cards in top loaders without sleeves or the card is coming out.. It's my pet peeve

mintman2

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
If I took 11 days to send out a trade and I hadn't had the common courtesy of letting the other trader know then I would expect to have my rating dinged. IMO, if you're going to take longer than 2-3 days you should contact the other person.

I always leave 5.0s unless there was a real big problem.. I only mark down shipping when I get cards in top loaders without sleeves or the card is coming out.. It's my pet peeve

There's nothing else like the feeling you get when opening that bm or pwe and the first thing that you see is your card hanging out of the top load. That gets a 1 rating from me for packaging.

Meliah

MVP
5.00 star(s)
The other trader should at least inform you of sending out that late, poor communication otherwise in my opinion. I like to see cards mailed within 7 days of a confirmed trade.

worldwideed

MVP
5.00 star(s)
It's also important to check the postage cancellation date. I just had this happen. I was starting to get annoyed thinking that the other trader (NSF user) was just sitting on my cards. I checked the post date, usually 2 days before the current date at most, and it was five days prior. They may have been slightly slow in getting to the mail box but it certainly wasn't their fault it was a 10 day turn around.

JamesNevans

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I think if a trade is not mailed out within a week at the latest (by postmark) it is incumbent upon the sender to notify the other trader, people should know this. I would send a query first as to the status before marking down as it may well be a slow postal delivery rather than mailing. I've had items take up to three weeks for receipt, but here's where the other trader can help by clearing the trade out in a reasonable time too otherwise you wonder if they received their end.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Sorry if this has been pointed out already. Didn't read the other answers yet.

shipping is rated on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being defined as excellent. Although the lower scores are not defined with a term, you can assume the lower the number, the worse the experience, with 1 being the worst experience.

I would only leave a 5 if I felt I received excellent service. Anything less and you should be subtracting points. In a case where we all have real lives outside of trading cards, I would expect someone to warn you first before delaying or keep active communications if they have not sent.

4/5 is 80%, which is a B in most grading scales. Nothing really wrong with a B, but it's not an A. However, the scale here seems a bit tougher and dropping below 5 is a bad thing. All the more reason to make sure you send promptly!

Rarthur

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
It seems this is a topic that gets varying opinions. I guess after listening to ideas my viewpoint would be as long as everything else goes well, I'll give all 5's. Like people said there is always "life" going on around this.

mintman2

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Sorry if this has been pointed out already. Didn't read the other answers yet.

shipping is rated on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being defined as excellent. Although the lower scores are not defined with a term, you can assume the lower the number, the worse the experience, with 1 being the worst experience.

I would only leave a 5 if I felt I received excellent service. Anything less and you should be subtracting points. In a case where we all have real lives outside of trading cards, I would expect someone to warn you first before delaying or keep active communications if they have not sent.

4/5 is 80%, which is a B in most grading scales. Nothing really wrong with a B, but it's not an A. However, the scale here seems a bit tougher and dropping below 5 is a bad thing. All the more reason to make sure you send promptly!

It's just like ebay. Four out of five should be pretty good but you drop just a little below all five's (like 4.7) and you start getting penalized.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Just to clarify too, I usually give 5's across the board. I didn't mean to sound like someone had to go above and beyond just to get a 5!

Lower scores from me usually result from poorly packaged items (regardless of whether or not damage occurred), extremely slow shipping or misrepresentation. The last one you might be able to fix with communication...the others are done and can't be fixed!