How many times have you changed jobs?

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Hey all,

Just wondering what people do for a living, and how many times you have changed jobs. The reason I ask, this is a great community, and I have made some great friendships on here. I have been greatly supported by members on here both in terms of kind words and prayers, and also when selling items, people have helped greatly in my favor (you know who you are, God bless you and your families abundantly!!). I have sold most everything I have collected, most recently to help afford our son's surgery (thanks to all who prayed for Jeremiah, he is doing GREAT! He just had his first Birthday, and is a fantastic and strong little boy!).

I am 34 and have been a school social worker for the past 11 years. In that time I have changed jobs 6 times, only twice voluntarily! I worked at a Co-op in the Chicago area for 2 years, and then we moved back to our hometown after my wife finished school, and I worked at a middle school for 6 years, and the district then eliminated social work district-wide (70% low income community, who needs mental health services!!). I then worked for another Co-op for about 18 months, and transitioned to another district, which then laid off 12 staff (including me) citing budget cuts. I have now found another Co-op job in a rural county neighboring ours, and my new Director is very friendly, and assured me that they can't get by without fewer than two social workers for their districts, and I am not going anywhere. I cannot tell you how great that feels, to be wanted again, and to know that I can do good work in an environment that is going to allow me security for our family in terms of stability in my job.

In saying all this, I am wondering if others have faced a lot of volatility in your professions. Granted, work is just one part of our lives, and I have learned to be flexible in terms of what I do, where, and for how long! Its hard to be flexible though when you keep getting bounced around!!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Camsue

5.00 star(s)
Been in law enforcement for 25 years changed jobs twice once when we moved to Florida and I returned to the same job after we returned to Pennsylvania. It is getting bad out there our town in down to one main factory and the scary thing is the criminals are getting younger and younger with no fear and that sense that they are owed something

Rhubarb_Runner

5.00 star(s)
After 23(!) years as a consultant for Union Pacific RR, I was hired on as an employee April 1st. My internship is over! ;)

Before that I worked 5+ years in Los Angeles before escaping, and another 1½ years in StL before being laid off and unemployed for 4 months. So, about three jobs in 30 years -- not bad.

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
Kevin,
My first 5 years out of college, I had 4 different jobs....all in construction management, two I quit, one I got laid off, and one I got fired for filing a worker's comp claim after falling through a manhole cover (this was the mid 90s, not as many lawyers back then for that kind of stuff). Anyway I ended up doing well facilities management for a hospital before I quit that to be a stay-at home dad for last 6 years. So I have technically had 5 employers over past 20 years. Started off terrible but probably quite common for a 20 year period.

T-206

5.00 star(s)
little history
at age 12 I started my own lawn mower business moving 1 acre lots for 25.00 ( no weed-eating and mowed an average of 22 yards a week sometimes more sometimes less)
at age 14 I still did the lawn mowing and then started working in auction sites until graduation 5 auctions a week and when turned 15 got a hard ship and started delivering furniture after the auctions
left town at age 19 went to work in a welding supply store
age 21 worked for BJ services (oil filed)
age 21 quit BJ and went to work for halliburton
got laid off in 1999 wif 5 months pregnant and work at UNited super markets until the baby was born
after baby was born drove over the road truck driver for 3 months
then Halliburton called me back to work and been here ever since. Workin on 18 years now.
I hope to hit my 35 years and have a nice retirement nest egg and my free Rolex watch for my time of service then retire on a plot of land or on a lake so I can fish, fish, and even do more fishing.

Last edited:

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
So it looks like I am right at about the average so far, more or less! It has been a crazy past two years, but it sounds like we have all followed more or less the same trajectory, some with fewer changes. It is a wild time right now, and Brian, I more than loved being a stay at home dad, we just were so unbelievably tight on the budget every month, its tough to sweat that out, and when a full time job came along that I knew I could fill, I jumped on it. A friend of ours is watching our children now, so a great opportunity for them, her children are about the same ages as ours, and I describe it as our children going to a friend's home to play, only we pay her at the end of the week! Grandma and Great Aunt help out too, which is a blast for all concerned!

Thanks for the stories, keep them rolling in! Fun to see what people do for a living, we know what everyone does for a hobby!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Beachbum

5.00 star(s)
By the way, my story kind of has a hole in it, I said 5 employers in 20 years but the last 6 as a SAHD....I truly believe that I would still be employed at my old hospital if I had not choose to leave. They were grooming me to be a Director and they said so to my face and I had already been promoted 3 times in 7 years so I feel confident in saying 5 employers in 20 years. The real moral to the story anyway is that it takes a few jobs to finally find the right fit. For some of us it could be 3 jobs, or it might be 10 for someone else.

bfd13

5.00 star(s)
I've worked as a newspaper sports editor for 31 years, 26 years at my current job. Our business has been sold four times, hopefully we'll stay with this company for a long time.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Worked when I was younger on my uncle's farm......about 10 years during the summer season.....Current job Working for the Government for the last 30 plus years. 3 or 4 more years and I'll probably retire. Best regards, David

Jeffo65

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Since graduating from college, I have had 2 jobs in the same field. First job for 8 months and current job, 27 years with the Federal Government/DoD.

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Man, there are some guys on here that have been some places for a long time! Its awesome to know that there are some stable fields out there still! bfd13, David, Jeff, you guys are blessed with stability, and Brian, what you said about finding the right fit, I agree, and am praying that this next job is it! My Director said that I wasnt going anywhere, I was just who they were looking for, and I was so glad to hear that! I dont want to go anywhere either, I have bounced around enough!

And having been a SAHD for awhile, I would take that back in a heartbeat!! (Would just love if it paid $50K/yr. plus dental!!). The benefits far outweigh the costs though, you know that, and what a blessing!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

pac_rat_76

5.00 star(s)
I've been through several jobs in my career. They are from first to current...

Front counter @ Hardee's Restaurant
Dishwasher @ local family Restaurant
Overnights @ a plastic's factory
Janitor @ Community College cafe
Clerk @ a gas station
Concrete laborer
Press operator @ custom fabrication shop
Forklift driver @ another plastic's factory
Call center telemarketer (Hate to admit that one!)
Built screen porches / 3-season rooms for 10+ years
Currently on 4th year as a machine operator for Canadian Pacific

Rhubarb_Runner

5.00 star(s)
I've been through several jobs in my career. They are from first to current...

Front counter @ Hardee's Restaurant
Dishwasher @ local family Restaurant
Overnights @ a plastic's factory
Janitor @ Community College cafe
Clerk @ a gas station
Concrete laborer
Press operator @ custom fabrication shop
Forklift driver @ another plastic's factory
Call center telemarketer (Hate to admit that one!)
Built screen porches / 3-season rooms for 10+ years
Currently on 4th year as a machine operator for Canadian Pacific

CP -- another railroader! ;)

bblair_2002

5.00 star(s)
Since the age of 18 I've had 3 jobs.

Spent 1 1/2 years working at a grocery store.
Spent 12 years working at a candy factory.
In August,I'll have my 10th year anniversary as a Walmart slave (Distribution Center,not a store)

KCLJ520

5.00 star(s)
Cards and fun hobbies make frustrating days more tolerable sometimes, dont they?? I am finishing this year after having been laid off, schools have to let you know 40 days before the end of the school year, and I was blessed with another job fairly shortly thereafter, so I am counting down the days until we are done here (17 if anyone is counting, I know I sure am!!)

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

bdangelo

5.00 star(s)
I've been a full-time sportswriter/copy editor since 1980, and have only changed jobs once -- in 1988, when I moved from the Stuart (Fla.) News to the Tampa Tribune. The business may not be stable any more, but I am still holding on.

dadandsoncards

4.90 star(s)
Out of college I was an insurance agent for about 5 years. Hated every second of that job. I like people but the pressure of sales was unbearable. Then I started out with AT&T. Started out as a customer service rep. Did that for 6 months then got an intern position there. Did that for a year, and for the last 8 years, I have been a Sr. Training Manager. I love my job. I am wanting to move up an hoping with the Direct TV acquisition there will be some opportunities. Happy collecting everyone.

t.rooster

5.00 star(s)
Started out as a fine arts painter with a undergraduate degree, I managed to do dishwashing, construction, wood stove installation, landscaping, program implementor for autistic adolescents, seasonal firefighter, self employed selling books on Amazon, teacher naturalist for grade school outdoor science programs and summer science camp teacher, challenge course facilitator, backpacking guide, trail crew leader, taught living history around the California gold rush, open space park ranger asst., taught English as a second language in SE Asia, and all the while painting more full time then work or in spurts in-between seasonal jobs. Currently I have been employed full time for a year as an art instructor for adults with learning disabilities. The work is beneficial and I get real satisfaction out of it, we have some really good artist who produce art that we instructors curate and help to sell. I continue to do my art work and the two are good together..... It's funny as I look back at this, while I was a teacher naturalist I would always ask the parent chaperones what they did for work. I was always wondering what was out there for me as a grown up and all along art has largely been the one unflappable thing in my life, I'm glad I'm still doing it and that I am making my living now with it.

mm1sub

5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Like others I did different jobs while I was in high school. I worked in a poultry plant doing sanitation on the midnight shift for a while. The hours sucked but the pay was pretty good for a kid still in high school. I do not think I would be allowed to work those hours now while being a full time student. After high school I joined the Navy and was in the military for 20 years. After I retired I got a job doing quality control inspections for a medical device repair facility in Worcester,MA. Did that for about 4 years before I shifted to another quality inspector job with a defense contractor. Did that for a year and now I am back in the medical device manufacturing field. One thing I can say is that I really liked my last job and my current job. But I still get job offers from other companies and would probably change jobs again. If the money is good enough.