How NOT to mail 4 cards in a trade

just-for-cards

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
This came to me in the dreaded post office plastic bag after a long wait from the both the post office and the mailer. It was sent a few days late to start off with. 1 of the 2 plastic card holders didn't survive. Cards? Well, they were there. The envelope had more rips than what is shown.
I don't know what to think as I only use bubble mailers, but for 4 cards I would think an envelope would not be used.
Now, the sender must be wondering why I haven't said I received the cards yet. While I'm wondering why this person hasn't said they received my cards 13 days ago with delivery confirmation in a padded envelope.
Come on people - Do it right!

(Hope the pic shows up, or I'll edit it)

dan5

MVP
5.00 star(s)
All they needed to do was put an extra $.22 postage and make it non-machinable and that probably wouldn't have happened. Too many people these days trying to get off cheap when it comes to postage.

Were they at least cheap cards?

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
Ouch! Normally do pwe only if one or two cards. Gu or more cards...I always use the bubble envelope. Also hope they were only base cards that we're damaged. Best regards, David

JGerutfan9

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I can usually do 4 in a longer envelope. Always add cardboard backing and add the appropriate postage for weight and non-machinable charge. If the cards are more valuable they always go in a bubble mailer, even if it is a single card.

Eric

Rhubarb_Runner

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
You can safely/easily send up to six cards in a PWE if you:
1) put 3 cards in each of two (slightly wider) top loader
2) put the top loaders in team bags and tape them end-to-end
3) place them in a longer business envelope (not the shorter envelopes)
4) tape the back flap. I also will tape the bottom edge
5) Write "Do Not Bend" on the front
6) PUT A STINKIN' $.22 ADDITIONAL STAMP FOR RIGID CONTENTS!

You can write all you want about not bending, non-machinable, etc., but without the extra stamp (or even two Forever stamps in a pinch) it's a crap-shoot. Of course, even with all the above precautions a careless PO employee could still thwart best-made plans

just-for-cards

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
A PWE seems risky to me for more than 1 card. Pushing the envelope (so to say) is asking for trouble.
And yes, they were 4 inserts in 2 top loaders in PWE.

tom szczygiel

MVP
5.00 star(s)
It is so much Safer and easier to use Bubble Envelope . I have used Do Not Machineable Postage and proper packing the one collector still said they were damaged ?? I think if you put it in trade notes this wouldnt happen ?
Tom

Beachbum

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
You can safely/easily send up to six cards in a PWE if you:
1) put 3 cards in each of two (slightly wider) top loader
2) put the top loaders in team bags and tape them end-to-end
3) place them in a longer business envelope (not the shorter envelopes)
4) tape the back flap. I also will tape the bottom edge
5) Write "Do Not Bend" on the front
6) PUT A STINKIN' $.22 ADDITIONAL STAMP FOR RIGID CONTENTS!

You can write all you want about not bending, non-machinable, etc., but without the extra stamp (or even two Forever stamps in a pinch) it's a crap-shoot. Of course, even with all the above precautions a careless PO employee could still thwart best-made plans

Winner winner chicken dinner!

This is more about proper packing them weight. Thickness is the enemy of PWE, not weight, common misconception. For the extra postage to go up to 2 oz, you would be amazed what weighs less than 2 oz...thickness is your problem, not weight. Disperse your cards evenly through the envelope and make sure the ENTIRE envelope was rigidity and you are good to go.