How would you handle this eBay issue? UPDATED 13 FEB 10

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
Well after eBay ruled in this guys favor and I had to refund the money, the package arrived. It only took 24 days to go from Delaware to Alabama. He sent me an email this morning to let me know he got it AND he resent his payment. Very honest man.

I mailed a package to a buyer in Alabama on 20 Jan 10 from a post office in Wilmington, De. I also mailed packages to Nebraska & Ohio at the same time. The buyers from Nebraska & Ohio have received their packages, but the buyer in Alabama has not.

He keeps sending me messages asking where his package is. I explained to him that it was mailed and I have the receipt if he would like a scan to show proof. He said he didn't need it. The buyer never asked for insurance, tracking or delivery confirmation, so it was not purchased. All of my eBay auctions have a disclaimer at the bottom stating that I am not responsible for lost or uninsured mail.

I told him I would go to the post office and see if there was anything that could be done. The post office said that without tracking, there is nothing that can be done. The post office did recommend that he stop by his local post office to see perhaps the package is there for some reason.

So this morning I have a case opened up against by eBay that the buyer initiated. I understand that he's upset that he didn't get his package and I'm sorry, but what else can I do?

Besides this issue, we're in the middle of a blizzard here in Delaware and as a member and full timer of the Delaware Army National Guard, I'm on alert status. The Governor has declared a state of emergency and I've been busy preparing for a call up for not only myself, but I also have to call everyone in my platoon and make sure they're ready.

So who's to blame? Maybe I should include tracking on all of my future sales. I believe that since I have the receipt, i'm not to blame. Our wonderful postal service is to blame.

Your thoughts...

Last edited:

fatrat

5.00 star(s)
Not your fault!! The buyer had the option to purchase DC, tracking and insurance and chose not to do any of those things. Your PO receipt shows you sent it - nothing more you can do!

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
It is the buyers option to pay for all the extra fees, BUT it's the sellers that has to prove to paypal that the item was sent and a postal receipt won't be enough, without tracking that shows the item was delivered you will lose.

VistaViper

5.00 star(s)
It is the buyers option to pay for all the extra fees, BUT it's the sellers that has to prove to paypal that the item was sent and a postal receipt won't be enough, without tracking that shows the item was delivered you will lose.

A fact!! Always price your shipping to include DC. I learned the hard way!

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
Another thought, if you reverse the roles and it was you that didn't get an item would you settle for a P.O receipt?

I'm not saying you did this, but here is an example:

Use the APC to pay for postage on your packages, you get a receipt but never put the packages in the bin. You have a receipt that shows you mailed them, but of coarse the package will never get to it's destination.

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
Another thought, if you reverse the roles and it was you that didn't get an item would you settle for a P.O receipt?

I'm not saying you did this, but here is an example:

Use the APC to pay for postage on your packages, you get a receipt but never put the packages in the bin. You have a receipt that shows you mailed them, but of coarse the package will never get to it's destination.

I understand your point, but doesn't 2450 Positive Feedback count for something? To me, this shows that I am honest and reputable. If it doesn't, why bother leaving feedback?

sydssydney

5.00 star(s)
I agree with Champs96. I've always used the "not responsible" disclaimer and in 2 cases I actuially lucked out on packages that were supposedly not received. BUT if you're dealing with a customer that knows the system, you will unfortunately lose.

criollos

5.00 star(s)
I understand your point, but doesn't 2450 Positive Feedback count for something? To me, this shows that I am honest and reputable. If it doesn't, why bother leaving feedback?

I'm with you 100%. However, the buyer is going to win this case if he keeps on pushing the issue to Ebay/Paypal. I am sorry to tell you that, but I have seen it work that way more than a few times.

On a side note, I think that the buyer shouldn't be contacting Ebay/Paypal until 3 weeks go by without receiving the item. I have sent a few cards here at THE BENCH that have taken up to 3 weeks without any particular reason for the delay in delivery.

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)

I understand that, but feedback is like BV it's more of a guide. You can get screwed by someone with thousands of feedback just as easy as someone with under 100. I have paid for stuff on ebay and it was the sellers last push of items never to hear from them again or get my item.

Heck even on this site how many traders with over 100 completed trades have we had to give the boot.

Again, I'm not saying you screwed anyone over. It's just that once money is involved the burden of proof falls on the SELLER. The Buyer does 3 thins bids and pays then he waits. The Seller receives his money and has to get the item to it's new owner, if it never gets there it's not the buyers fault and he shouldn't be empty handed. If you order something from BEST BUY and it never gets to you, is it ok for them to tell you "well we mailed it". No, they send you a replacement.

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
I've been in your shoes before, and it doesn't end the way you like.

My current motto: I will put DC on any item that I am not willing to take the chance on. I ask myself, "Am I willing to fork over this amount of money back to the buyer if they don't receive it?" If I can answer yes to that question, I send without DC. If I answer no, I put that pretty little tracking number on there.:)

Tim

mlbme22

5.00 star(s)
I just had a similar thing happen with something I sold on ebay- buyer claimed that he didn't receive the item after 2 weeks. I sent him a full refund bc I didn't have delivery confirmation on the package. I only put DC on if the item is over $20, I figure that as much stuff as I mail, it will even itself out with not spending the .80 cents on DC & the few packages that don't arrive. It is a pain in the rear, but I have tried to fight it through paypal with proof of receipt & such, but lost everytime. Now I just do it that way & don't take the chance of getting the negative feedback.
Just my two cents-
Thanks,
Mike

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
On the positive side, the item he won was only $3.99, including postage. It's not the money, it's the principal of the matter.

zlw1

5.00 star(s)
I learned that the hard way one time as well.
You are going to have to refund the person no matter what. If you don't have proof electronically that you mailed it (d.c. or registered mail, etc) your going to get the "Seller's Fault" claim from eBay even though the PO lost, destroyed, burned, etc your mail.. I mean, look at the mail I've been getting lately.. lol Microwaved, Cookie Monstere'd, Run Overed, etc.

jdshuskers

5.00 star(s)
As already stated, Paypal will always rule in favor of the buyer without DC. I always print postage through Paypal and DC is included for only 18 cents extra.

worldwideed

5.00 star(s)
I've been in your shoes before, and it doesn't end the way you like.

My current motto: I will put DC on any item that I am not willing to take the chance on. I ask myself, "Am I willing to fork over this amount of money back to the buyer if they don't receive it?" If I can answer yes to that question, I send without DC. If I answer no, I put that pretty little tracking number on there.:)

Tim
My exact process

As already stated, Paypal will always rule in favor of the buyer without DC. I always print postage through Paypal and DC is included for only 18 cents extra.

I also use pp to ship as often as I can. DC is cheaper through there and it updates the item in 'My eBay' with the #. No worries.

97honda

5.00 star(s)
I have actually gone as far as including Insurance on items that sell for alot. I do not charge the buyer more because I think it is part of my part to make sure they get it, and if not noone is out any money. The "Buyer assumes responsibilty for not buying DC or insurance" line in auctions is crap, only ignorant people put that in.

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
The "Buyer assumes responsibilty for not buying DC or insurance" line in auctions is crap, only ignorant people put that in.

WRONG !!

If ebay was "only a venue" like they claim you could list any terms you like and once the buyer placed a bid they'd be bound by them. Unfortunately ebay/paypal has it's fingers in every step. The average person that's selling doesn't understand that using paypal is just like using a credit card. Once you do it YOU are bound by their rules ! IMO it really sucks that this is what ebay has become. In the past I actually had people that didn't receive their item (VERY rare) but when I showed them the postal receipt they didn't press the issue.

It used to be like it is here on The Bench. If I showed you I sent it that was all I needed. And if I'm not mistaken I believe that most courts would rule in your favor if you showed proof of sending.

The premise of "most people are good and will do the right thing", which ebay was built on, unfortunately seems to be antiquated thinking. Sad, very very sad !!