Hurricane IDA took a hit on my card collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYBBNUTT

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have a shelf in a decent size closet room but due to limited storage space I had to leave some boxes on the floor. Well to my misfortune, too much rain fell in a short period of time causing some water to seep into lower level and ultimately into soaking the rug in my closet room. I haven't been able to assess the damage yet but at glance it looks like I see 3 of the 3K boxes wet. Fortunately I was planning to downsize anyway, but not this way. I don't think I lost anything really valuable but I could've sold or donated these cards. Anyway, that's my sad tale and I hope every Benchie has fared better and not lost any of there collections.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We were thankful that we didn't get hit by a tornado or worse damage. Many streets are still flooded around us. We are cut off from our local grocery store and have to go a ways to get to others in the area. I just filed a claim today for the bedroom floor damage. I'm glad that fellow 'Benchies' are all safe!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We were thankful that we didn't get hit by a tornado or worse damage. Many streets are still flooded around us. We are cut off from our local grocery store and have to go a ways to get to others in the area. I just filed a claim today for the bedroom floor damage. I'm glad that fellow 'Benchies' are all safe!!
Glad you are safe. Cardboard and carpets can be replaced, painful and stinks that the cards were damaged, but still they are just cardboard. Hopefully when you get a chance to look it was nothing too valuable.

Stay safe, and you should probably look at moving you valuable cards out of that room for the time being, Larry seems like it might have its sights set on you next.

Keeping all the friends in the North East in thoughts and prayers.

Thankfully only the cards got hurt. In 1997 I had a fire in the apartment I was renting. I had my cards on a shelving unit and fortunately, by the time I could go in to survey the damage, I found the firemen had covered that unit with a tarp. I had approximately 10 different boxes most of them 5000 count.. Two boxes had a wet spot on the corner of the boxes. I had the damage assessed by my local card shop for insurance. He determined that the loss was small, only around 100 cards were damaged. But after some years had passed, I found that some more of those cards were damaged. Originally they looked dry, but after years of settling, there was a few hundred cards that had bubbles on them.

That's just a precaution for you to consider, because if only halve the cards are wet, there may be some that can only be identified over time. I got an insurance check of $200+, the best card was an Ozzie Smith RC. The damage was contained to a set of 1981 Donruss Baseball. I don't recall what was in the other box. But the most important cards were a 5000 count box of cards from 1964-1971. They had no damage at any time. So I hope your loss is small.