I am being scammed?

Mark Wing

5.00 star(s)
I recently won an auction on eBay and paid right away. The seller then contacted me and told me they made a mistake and their e-mail address isn't active anymore and they have a new address. The asked that I cancel payment and send it to a new e-mail address. They still haven't updated their eBay e-mail address.

This doesn't sound right to me. I told them to update their e-mail address and send me a new invoice. It is only $3, so I can handle losing the money, but I hate being taken advantage of. Has anyone run into anything like this?

Thanks,
Mark

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Had this happen twice on The Bench. Both were for small amounts so went ahead and had no problems...if you're worry about it....how about mailing a money order or personal check instead? Best regards, David

rangersfan1982

5.00 star(s)
I would contact a Ebay supervisor to have it investigated. Better safe than sorry, and I would also add that member to a block list if possible. I have had a situation like that happen too once before and it took forever to get it resolved.

greatdadx2

5.00 star(s)
I have done this before...I was the seller and it had my old EMAIL addy, I didn't know until I contacted the buyer about payment....I would check to see when the last time they sold something on EBAY, if it has been awhile then its just a mistake on their part and also check their feedback

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
I have done this before...I was the seller and it had my old EMAIL addy, I didn't know until I contacted the buyer about payment....I would check to see when the last time they sold something on EBAY, if it has been awhile then its just a mistake on their part and also check their feedback
Same situation with me. I went awhile without selling anything on ebay. I changed email/paypal addresses during my "break" and then listed an item. Payment went to my old email address. Fortunately, I did not close my other Paypal account, so all was good.

Tim

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
I recently won an auction on eBay and paid right away. The seller then contacted me and told me they made a mistake and their e-mail address isn't active anymore and they have a new address. The asked that I cancel payment and send it to a new e-mail address. They still haven't updated their eBay e-mail address.

This doesn't sound right to me. I told them to update their e-mail address and send me a new invoice. It is only $3, so I can handle losing the money, but I hate being taken advantage of. Has anyone run into anything like this?

Thanks,
Mark
I think you're absolutely right !

They should update their info and then send you a new invoice. If they won't do something as basic as that then I wouldn't want to deal with them.

greatdadx2

5.00 star(s)
I think you're absolutely right !

They should update their info and then send you a new invoice. If they won't do something as basic as that then I wouldn't want to deal with them.
If I remember correctly, once the item is sold you can't send an updated invoice....something like that....I remember I couldn't do it for some Knotts Berry Farm Tickets I sold to a lady....took me about three days to finally convince her I wasn't a thief.

Tim Carroll

5.00 star(s)
Good thing is.........it is Paypal. Being the buyer, you have the utmost advantage. If something happens that you don't get the card, you file the complaint and get the money back. Now, if it were a $1200 Macintosh or something, I'd be a lot more cautious.

Tim

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
If I remember correctly, once the item is sold you can't send an updated invoice....something like that....I remember I couldn't do it for some Knotts Berry Farm Tickets I sold to a lady....took me about three days to finally convince her I wasn't a thief.
I just went to a sold item that hasn't been paid for yet and it allows me to send an invoice even though I already sent one.

timfsu2k

5.00 star(s)
I had this happen to me, the seller had input the wrong email address in his invoice. He said that he couldn't send an updated invoice. He actually just sent me the item before I even paid to complete the transaction, so obviously he wasn't trying to rip me off.

mintman2

5.00 star(s)
Just wondering because greatdadx2 thought you couldn't adjust an invoice, address at least, after the auction had ended.
Not sure what everyone is talking about "inputting or adjusting email address" but you're correct, you can't adjust an ebay generated invoice. What you can do is tell the buyer to disregard the first invoice and send a new one.

greatdadx2

5.00 star(s)
Not sure what everyone is talking about "inputting or adjusting email address" but you're correct, you can't adjust an ebay generated invoice. What you can do is tell the buyer to disregard the first invoice and send a new one.
It has more to do with PAYPAL, not necessarily EBAY....

TJCloutier

5.00 star(s)

Thanks,
Mark
This has happened to me as well. Had my old e-mail instead. It was for like 50-100 dollars though. As long as you cancel the payment you're alright. Sounds good, and hey your right it's only $3.

Sponsors