I have to vent re ebay scammers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirthomas

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Tonight I saw what might have been one of the worst manipulations I have seen on ebay in years. The fake 1/1s have always been a pet peeve of mine. If it isn't serial numbered 1/1 then it shouldn't be listed as a 1/1 as far as I'm concerned. I see this often with people selling the premium serial numbers (01/XX, jersey #/xx or xx/xx) and while those annoy me I tolerate them. I have seen some go so far to say that any serial number is a 1/1 because its the only one of that serial number for that card in existence. As far as I'm concerned those people are preying on the ignorance of new collectors or people buying for a collector and this scammers.
Tonight I think I found a new low and I has me ticked. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201073075655&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
This is a regular jersey from Gypsy Queen of Jimmy Rollins (I am a super-collector of his if anyone didn't know) and they listed it as 1/1 in the title. I have been on the lookout for the /10 Black jersey from this. First I requested a scan of the back hoping to see a serial number thinking it's probably 01/10 or 10/10 if legit. I inquired further and the person said "It's a 1/1 with the 2 tone color patch. I didn't mean serial numbered 1/1" Since when does a pinstripe on a jersey make it a 1/1???? Topps did both home white with pinstripes and grey road jerseys for him. There is nothing unique about this.

Should I report this person to ebay for misleading or try explaining to the person for a second time what a 1/1 is and see if they fix it even though I sincerely doubt they will fix it? Also does anyone else on here experience similar frustration over this kind of stuff and what do you do about it?

I'd report them, they have sold enough cards in the past that were actually numbered to know the difference.

I technically should report people selling Sheffield 1/1's ONLY because the card will be 10/100, his jersey number. That doesn't make it any more rare in essence. It's neat but not technically worth more. I don't report those people but you could for manipulating the title. You have much more of a case so I would say sure go ahead and report them. No harsh feelings.

Do it! Although I an not into the S/N thing, I feel the same way about hunting and buying the variations and error cards that I want for my master sets. Sellers constantly listing their cards as ERR? or VAR? when the pic clearly can show that it isn't in many cases. Sometimes the pic can't determine it but more often than not it does.

I love the word patch too.....lol if people are stupid to bu it then shame on them. It's like me with a diamond.....would I go on ebay and know what I'm getting is the right price? No.... Do your homework before ya buy anything. Misleading titles are everywhere and 1.99 I don't think eBay cares....

I hear ya, my annoyance is someone putting in the title "non auto"............They should be euthanized, no, just kidding...............It's shameful........Is a card serial #'ed to the jersey considered 1 of 1; i.e. #005/100 for Johnny Bench? Just asking............Thanks............Mike

I hear ya, my annoyance is someone putting in the title "non auto"............They should be euthanized, no, just kidding...............It's shameful........Is a card serial #'ed to the jersey considered 1 of 1; i.e. #005/100 for Johnny Bench? Just asking............Thanks............Mike

Evan Longoria Gold Refractor 3/50=1/1 on eBay or maybe like you said Johnny Bench 5/100=1/1 on eBay lol. That's just crazy people thinking they can get an extra nickel or dime from someone silly enough to believe or fall for it. There are only a few actual 1/1s & they are labeled as such from the factory not from someones' opinions.

Ebay needs to crack down on false advertising. I bought a Puig card from 2014 Heritage. The picture had it #/100. The actual card turned out to be the unnumbered short print. I filed a claim on the eBay guarantee policy and I lost. Ebay said he was using a stock photo and the description didn't mention that it was numbered to 100. In other words, the description over-rides the picture. Fortunately I got a different person to look at my appeal and I got a refund. The seller was not cooperative and unresponsive. The first person I talked to on eBay said he was an expert on cards. Yet he didn't recognize that the card pictured was 20 times as valuable than the actual card.

Ebay needs to crack down on false advertising. I bought a Puig card from 2014 Heritage. The picture had it #/100. The actual card turned out to be the unnumbered short print. I filed a claim on the eBay guarantee policy and I lost. Ebay said he was using a stock photo and the description didn't mention that it was numbered to 100. In other words, the description over-rides the picture. Fortunately I got a different person to look at my appeal and I got a refund. The seller was not cooperative and unresponsive. The first person I talked to on eBay said he was an expert on cards. Yet he didn't recognize that the card pictured was 20 times as valuable than the actual card.

I was read & reread the listing & description to double check things. If I have any questions or concerns then I contact the seller prior to purchase rather it's a BIN or auction providing the auction is'nt ending right away. I hate the stock photos sellers use cause of being too lazy to scan or take their own pictures. I never once have or will use a stock photo.

I think all the people responding have got it right, the good the bad & the ugly. But the reality is you may report this person, but ebay has so little concern when it comes to quality control. My pet peeve is the forged signatures of star players, some very obvious…..