I need a little help on a project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dacubs?

Pro
4.90 star(s)
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about a little project over the past year and finally decided to try and do it. I will be posting this on 4-5 websites to try and get a good database going. What I want to do is compile a listing of local card shops that you go to or have been to and give me a few pros and cons about the place. Please do not totally bash the places that you will not go back to (I know I have a few) but a statement like horrible shop, bad selection, terrible customer service is acceptable, I don't want to be held liable in a lawsuit for defaming someones character, ie John jacobs is a crook and searches all his boxes.

So please PM me the following:

1. Name of the shop
2. Location: Street address is great, but if you don't know, at least city and state
3. Pros and cons
4. Would you recommend this shop?

Hopefuly this will serve 2 goals...1) to help us weed out the good shops and help us find new shops to go to, 2) help increase the business of the little huys, I've seen too many good shops have to close up.

Thanks,
Phil

I'll be the first...

In LaCrosse, WI...

River City Hobbies
304? 306? Main Street
LaCrosse, WI, 54601
Hours: 10-7 M-Sat, 12-5 Sun

Pros:
In business since 1980s. Local owner. EXTREMELY trustworthy, and guards against pack-searchers, as well as trains staff to guard against pack searchers... all packs and boxes behind counter. Usually stocks all unopened baseball and football product, and most unopened basketball. Very fair and knowledgeable. Will special order. In most cases, will deal when buying often or in bulk. Also plenty of gaming and non-sport.

Cons:
Very little singles selection... 2 cases full of singles and sets that don't really move or change much. Hardly any baseball autos/gu. Mostly local (brewers and twins) singles, with others mixed in. Usually only gets shipments for new unopened product on Fridays - can be a week behind when the rest of the country gets their product.

Would I recommend? ABSOLUTELY

Mack's Card Shack
Bridgeview Plaza
LaCrosse, WI, 54603
Hours: 3-7 most weekdays, longer on Saturday, closed on Sunday

Pros:
Hosts monthly Saturday shows - between 4 and 16 tables/dealers. Nice selection of singles from baseball and football, including impressive autos and GU - especially for the market and such a small space. Gets to know his customers, and will do what he can to find cards for them. Fair pricing. Has wide variety of dollar packs - all made up of '80s, '90s and blaster packs. E-mail newsletter and pokemon leagues.

Cons:
Limited space and hours. Very little current unopened product, and nothing for unopened high-end. Rumored pack-searcher.

Recommend? Yes, for singles. No for packs/boxes.

Hope this project takes off for you!
-Casey

Sounds like a great project. I rarely go to the local hobby shop anymore, unless it's for supplies. I buy all of my cards on-line, Walmart, Target or eBay. Good luck compiling the list.

This is the BEST Shop I have EVER been to (it isn't near me :()

Burton's Coins & Baseball Cards
5831 Buckeystown Pike # D
Frederick, MD 21704

Pros: Tons of Selection, Round final purchase down a lot ($14.25 would come out to around $10-$11, etc for higher purchases), Ebay-Like Bidding on local collector's singles, Grab-Bags, Singles, Packs, and Boxes.

Cons: Tiny Over-priced on singles

This is the BEST Shop I have EVER been to (it isn't near me :()

Burton's Coins & Baseball Cards
5831 Buckeystown Pike # D
Frederick, MD 21704

Pros: Tons of Selection, Round final purchase down a lot ($14.25 would come out to around $10-$11, etc for higher purchases), Ebay-Like Bidding on local collector's singles, Grab-Bags, Singles, Packs, and Boxes.

Cons: Tiny Over-priced on singles

I second that !

You'll never find more easy going, friendly, helpful people than the folks at Burton's. They even let, actually encouraged, me to bring my dog in with me.

There used to be 4 or 5 in my area (south florida) now there is only Bud's Sportscards.

My wife works in Fort. Lauderdale and stops there on her way home and grabs me a few packs when new product comes out. They are always very nice to her (maybe 'cause shes a hottie :D )

I have been in the store a few times, it's pretty big (50 or 60 glass cases) with lots of different memorabilia for sale. And the walls are covered with great signed photos and plaques.

No cons

Absolutely recommend, in fact there was a trader a few months ago from this site (forget who) and he was in Ft. Lauderdale with his son and was looking for a shop and I sent him there.

-Brett

http://www.budssportscards.com/