If your dad is still around, make some time for him

BRodgers

5.00 star(s)
As many of you know, my father lost his battle with lung cancer on new years day. From speaking with his doctors, the upoming months would have been terrible for him because it appeared the cancer was moving toward his brain and spine. I am just now getting to grieve some in private. My wife and kids have been staying with my mom since it happened, so I have been trying to keep strong with them, but I need some time to myself to get it out of my system. I know I am being greedy by wanting him here since he is in a much better place now, but just thinking of the amount of time & could have spent with him & came up with dumb excuses not to come down here hurts a lot. My dad was a great father & man with a heart of gold in a hard exterior. He was always a hard worker who was a great provider. In his later years when his health began to decline, he developed a love for trading cards. I have a ton of good memories of coming down here and helping him sort trough boxes of cards he came up with from local flea markets lookig for Cowboys & Rangers. Over all, as bad as I want him back here, I would feel extreemly guilty if somehow could bring him back to a wheelchair & oxygen tank. I am sure if given the choice, he wouldnt want to come back from where he is now. Anyway, I just wanted to say, ANY of you guys & gals that still have your dad, make some time for him. Being tiredor busy seems like a realy trivial reason not to spend some time with him now. Don't make the same mistake I did.
I love you pop!

mindbinge

5.00 star(s)
sorry about your dad dude...if it makes you feel any less guilty, I wish I could spend more time with my dad, but he could care less...just be glad you had him for what time you did and that you could share something like the cards together...I'd give almost anything if my dad even had something positive to say about me, much less wanted to spend time doing something I enjoy. Just that in itself, to me, means a lot...you are a lucky man to have had that for the time you did.

Hang in there and I'll keep your family in my prayers here...

R.I.P.

SevensGotAGun

5.00 star(s)
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Im sure he is proud to have you as a child and he will be around from time to time. My fathers health has slowly went a little downhill and he found out he has diabetes over the past 2 years. He cant keep his blood sugars down and I worry about him constantly. He just WILL NOT stop working. He works from the time he gets up at 6 and is still doing something at 12-1am. But I am here and when he needs me he knows he can call on me. You are probably still in shock over the whole ordeal and once the time has gone by, things should get better.
My Sympathies
Shawn

JJLevitsky

5.00 star(s)
It has been just under a year (Jan 22 2009) since my dad passed away and all of my thoughts from that time just came flooding back. Please know that it will get better as time goes on. I still hurt from time to time but know that he is in a better place now. You will be in my thoughts. You have my sincere sympathy.

Thanks,

Jeff

BRodgers

5.00 star(s)
Shawn, As long as he is keeping his health in check, let him work. My dad seemed to get worse when we convinced him to slow down.

Jeff, sorry to hear abou your loss. I know my pain is mostly me being greedy right now & most of the time I am just thankful to have a merciful God who didnt allow my dad to go trough the pain that he was facing in the upcoming months.

David K.

5.00 star(s)
Thanks David. We are making it trough.

I know what your going thru...My mom pass away on Dec 1, 2009... Did not know my dad as they separate when we were youngest...barely starting to sleep at night...most times only 3 for 4 hours of sleep.....now I'm getting about 4 to 5 hours....worst time to lose a family member...during the holiday season...does not feel the same without them. Hang in there buddy! Being with other family members and friends helps in the long run. Best regards, David

SevensGotAGun

5.00 star(s)
Shawn, As long as he is keeping his health in check, let him work. My dad seemed to get worse when we convinced him to slow down.

So true, he had to be off from work for 3 weeks last year and he just changed. Slept a lot and stayed up until 3 in the am, but sat by himself a lot and just was deep in thought. He physically aged in only weeks. Worried me. Once he got back to work, he hated it but acted a lot better. I will mark your words and never let him slow down.
Im in my mid 30's and lost my wife a few years ago. We had been living together since I was 17 and she was my life. A few years later its not as hard but there are moments you lose it and I think we are designed that way. Just take care of your family and LET them take care of you.
Best of Luck
Shawn

BRodgers

5.00 star(s)
David, we where lucky enough to be able to spend one more holiday season with him. I think he knew it was coming soon. He normaly wasnt an extreemly affectionat person, but gushed over his granddaughters during the holidays.

Shawn, Oh wow! I am truly sorry to hear about your wife. I'm crying right now just reading that. My wife of 10 years has Kidney failure & it scares the hell out of me every day. I can't fathom losing her. I am truly sorry.

BiggioDiogu759

4.90 star(s)
Thanks, me too. It was tough for the first couple years, but my best friend lived across the street, and he helped me get though it.

That quote is the reason I still watch pro sports...I know of atleast one person that doesnt have an ego...Travis Daniels.

BRodgers

5.00 star(s)
Biggio, I am finding that being around peoplewho care for you helps a ton.
As far as the quote, one of the the celebrations I hate the worst is when a guy makes a big play & points at his name on the back of his jersey.

BiggioDiogu759

4.90 star(s)
I agree...Actually anything besides pointing to the sky (which I do) I really cant stand.

It like "Great you made a play....I really dont care, and niethier do your fans if ya point to your back...Hell ya probably cant even reach the name on the back of your jersey, so why even try"