Let every team throw one guy back !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pltcards

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
how about instead of letting one guy with cash grab a ton of top prospects in a temporary fix. let each team pick one bum contract to throw back in with no penalty. Just put the guys back as free agents and forgive the remaining balance. I am sure we all have at least one "albatross" we would love to throw in. If this was the 3rd or 4th year of this league and we would have all had the time to straighten out our finances I would see nothing wrong with this , but no one has had entire control of the guys we were dealt and the contracts they were awarded. So I am serious. Every team pick a bum and throw him back.

Thanks Pat

Can you (or anyone) advise on what we can/should do with the $10 million? I just want to make sure that I'm clear on my options. For example,

1) It provides immediate relief of teams on the verge of bankruptcy in 2007. I take this as being of huge value to the teams listed in the financial warning thread.
2) For teams that don't fall into that group, they can:
a) save the money for a rainy day (always a good idea!)
b) use the cash to acquire FAs for the playoff push? Maybe certain teams with $10-$20 million positive balance that were $1-$3 million under budget can now go $1-$5 million over budget and not have to worry about running out of cash?
c) buy their way out of any bad long-term contracts (now or at the end of the season)?​
I'm not sure if the last two are advisable, so that's really what I'm asking. And I'm not complaining at all - this was a great 'bailout' package for the good of the league. I just want to make sure I'm clear on what I can do with $10 million right now, to positively affect my team in 2008 and 2009? It doesn't give me the cash I need to extend any contracts and it doesn't really let me out of any bad CPU contracts, but maybe I can buy them out now? Just looking for any advice on how I should best leverage the cash infusion. Thanks,

Eric

The immediate relief is the main part.

other than that I would hold on to it for dear life unless you are The Giants, A's, Nationals, and or possibly Tampa.

If ticket sales start to slide your projected balance can start to slip rapidly.

I would agree that most teams should hang on to it while watching their projected balance....once it's in the green, then you can see what you want to try to do with some of the money. I have my own cash limits I like to stay above, but each team is going to have a different level of risk tolerance.

Keep in mind---everyone---that given the fact we provided a 'stimulus' to the entire league, we are going to be MORE likely to come down hard of people that abuse their finances as we are attempting to be proactive.

Back