Liquidating in 2020 - are you downsizing or upsizing right now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I know, I could not believe it either. I had always intended to recycle these myself. I know the used holders have some value, if nothing more than to make great shipping protection. I never expected to make any real money selling them off and making space to boot. I'll keep trying until nobody bids or I run out.

I know, I could not believe it either. I had always intended to recycle these myself. I know the used holders have some value, if nothing more than to make great shipping protection. I never expected to make any real money selling them off and making space to boot. I'll keep trying until nobody bids or I run out.

Its better to buy recycle top loaders......that way .......when they the makers out of China....we can go back to buying the new ones....Best regards, David PS I'm set for a least 3 months.

What is trending now, I've noticed on eBay and FB that people are pulling away from memorabilia, I guess inflation is a hobby killer.

The last few years......crazy prices! More investors buying cards and boxes.......My hobby store had this middle guy who brought a 2022 topps series 2 hobby box...he looked at one card and said what! This card is numbered 660! I need to buy two or three boxes to finish the set! The owner told him....topps series one was 1 to 330. Topps series 2 is from 331 to 660. Guy goes oh! The few hobby people in the store covered their mouth to keep from laughting out loud.....Best regards, David

Unfortunately I seem to be upsizing in a big way and it is all because collectors ae all chasing the same ultra modern cards and the demand for everything else is nil. The LCS owner offers me cards at such a ridiculously low price, I can't turn him down. And this stuff is not junk era cards either. A retired friend of mine is downsizing and he just gave me a ton of cards that were going to the dump. Most of the stuff was oddball from 1984 and older. For instance there were a bunch of 1980 Marketcom Football mini posters with a lot of major stars including Roger Staubach. Like I was going to let stuff like that hit the dump?? Not a chance.

Unfortunately I seem to be upsizing in a big way and it is all because collectors ae all chasing the same ultra modern cards and the demand for everything else is nil. The LCS owner offers me cards at such a ridiculously low price, I can't turn him down. And this stuff is not junk era cards either. A retired friend of mine is downsizing and he just gave me a ton of cards that were going to the dump. Most of the stuff was oddball from 1984 and older. For instance there were a bunch of 1980 Marketcom Football mini posters with a lot of major stars including Roger Staubach. Like I was going to let stuff like that hit the dump?? Not a chance.
I dont get into high end stuff nor do I chase it to resell so I dont really have my thumb on the pulse. However I have been grading some of my vintage and better RCs and I sell duplicates that aren't in my PC and it is slowing down. I try to keep my marketplace ads under $50 to make if affordable and that usually works well but its dried up. Just curious if that mini-boom from a couple years ago is over now that free government moeny is gone and recession is looming.

I dont get into high end stuff nor do I chase it to resell so I dont really have my thumb on the pulse. However I have been grading some of my vintage and better RCs and I sell duplicates that aren't in my PC and it is slowing down. I try to keep my marketplace ads under $50 to make if affordable and that usually works well but its dried up. Just curious if that mini-boom from a couple years ago is over now that free government moeny is gone and recession is looming.
Didn't we make several trades a couple of years ago on the old board? You were working on a 1973 Topps Baseball set and you traded me a bunch of 1960s football.

Everyone I talk to says the card market has slowed down considerably. Our LCS has diversified a lot since it opened so where cards slowed down other things have made up the slack, I noticed a huge drop in demand for cards when inflatuion REALLY kicked in which makes sense because that ate away at people's disposable income. A year ago it seemed cards were worth more than money which is the same mistake that so many of us made in the late 80s-/early 90s.. I'm sure many, many "collectors" wish they had their money back now. Like the saying goes "Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it" which certainly applies to many of the new collectors of recent times,

Didn't we make several trades a couple of years ago on the old board? You were working on a 1973 Topps Baseball set and you traded me a bunch of 1960s football.

Everyone I talk to says the card market has slowed down considerably. Our LCS has diversified a lot since it opened so where cards slowed down other things have made up the slack, I noticed a huge drop in demand for cards when inflatuion REALLY kicked in which makes sense because that ate away at people's disposable income. A year ago it seemed cards were worth more than money which is the same mistake that so many of us made in the late 80s-/early 90s.. I'm sure many, many "collectors" wish they had their money back now. Like the saying goes "Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it" which certainly applies to many of the new collectors of recent times,
Yes I am still working on that 73 set. 😂

Found a semi-decent large lot on facebook marketplace a couple months back. Guy wanted something like $250. Ended up offering under asking and seller agreed. It was about 100K cards and a few assorted items (magazines, a bobble, etc). Mostly baseball, but some other sports and even some non-sport. I paid $180. I saw a box with a decent section of 90s inserts, a big stack of nice mid 60s (which turned out to be written on) and there were about 15 worn and marked up 5K boxes, which I was planning to empty and use elsewhere. I figured between the boxes (that retail for at least $5 each), the fun time entertainment value and all the decent cards I would pull out, $180 was a bargain. I probably pulled out enough to fill up 6-7 5K boxes in stars, rookies, fan favorites, inserts, Dodgers, Yankees for my trade buddy. Nothing epic or overly valuable, but just a lot of OK stuff. There may be a handful of $10+ cards if I was motivated to sell.

I put the "junk" on marketplace recently and estimated it was probably somewhere close to 50K cards. Most of the cards were nice condition, but a few beaters. There were some recognizable names, but no stars/HOFers. Just a lot of bulk. Mostly late 80s-90s stuff. I asked $100. i had a few nibbles and then a few days after listing, it sold for full price!

I ended up with a net cost of $80 for everything I kept. Wish every deal was that easy and lucrative. If I can find more large quantity deals like that one, I am going to give it another shot. Not sure if 1990s base set cards of HOFers are really worth all that much, but it's fun to pull them out of large groupings and I just can't leave HOFers in junk boxes no matter how hard I try or no matter how basic of a card they are.