Looking at getting a laptop. Need opinions!

twins fan

5.00 star(s)
Hey you all,
I am currently looking at getting a personal laptop due to this computer that I am using right now being bugged down and super slow. I need one favor from you guys though. I saw this thread on here that claimed that the best place to get a computer was directly from the manufacturer, which is what I plan on doing--the only problem being from who and what type.
All I need one for is just some slight memory and fast internet use with all the basic features--word/excel/powerpoint and a smooth operation
All I need to know from you guys/ girls is if you have a laptop or have purchased on in the past, what manufacturer is the best in your opinion and why. Also, if you could tell the model of your laptop, where you got, if you got any misc. coupons etc....
Just looking at collecting some opinions out there as to what one I should look at purchasing. Any opinions will help.

Thanks a ton!
-Christian

jrchoholic83

5.00 star(s)
Well, it all depends on what you need. Do you have a size in mind? The standard 15.6 inch, smaller or bigger? If you are in need of a nice quad core machine I would go with this one:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-3955549-4095872.html

The starting model is $979, which sound perfect for what you need. You may want to upgrade to 4GB, but that is the only upgrade you would need. This is a very solid model, feels solid too (I work with HP's everyday, the business I work for is a cert. reseller)! It is a 14 inch though, so it has great portability, but not too small, and not too big.

This is also another great option (the 6545b):

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552.html?jumpid=re_R295_prodexp/busproducts/computing-notebook/hp-probk-ntbk-pc&psn=notebooks_tablet_pcs/notebook_pcs

For $779 it is a great machine, not a quad core, but still very nice, and you would only need the 4GB upgrade.

Jeremy

Last edited:

twins fan

5.00 star(s)
Yeah I was looking at getting a 15.6' monitor on it. Those seem kind of out of my budget range though. Looking at something more in the $500-$700 range. Thanks for the opinions anyways. I will definetly keep them in mind!

David K.

5.00 star(s)
You may want to check out Dell! They always have an ad in the sunday paper....in the parade section. You can also checkout their website. Best regards David

Last edited:

jhens76

get a mac

I had various pcs since 1995. My PCs had to be replaced every couple of years for one reason or other. 3 years ago I got my macbook (my first mac, and only so far) and it has been amazing. You'll pay a little more but its well worth it in the long run. No viruses and you have a very stable OS. only problem I had was with a faulty battery which apple replaced free of charge.

thats my 2 cents.

dankir96

4.90 star(s)
I asked this very same question last week. I ended up building one on Dell.com and ordered it this past weekend. It's scheduled to arrive in a couple weeks.

twins fan

5.00 star(s)
My brother has had HP and he has had many problems with it, he also has a Dell that he gets from the college he goes to and hasnt had any problems with them.
Is Asus realy that good?

The best PC is HP by far, then maybe Asus, I have had the HP im on for about 2 years now with 0 problems.