Looking For College Advice

uglyrad1

5.00 star(s)
Well, the time has come. Entering my Senior Year of high school this year, I've been putting off the college thing for too long, and I was wondering if anyone on the good ol' Bench could help me! I'm looking to go for a Communications major, and for the absolute longest time, Kent State has been the front runner due to their fantastic communications department. However, every time I think I'm settled, another school seems to present itself! Just today, I got a letter from DePaul University. They liked my ACT score and seem to be interested in me. I'm asking anyone who has been through the whole application process, narrowing-down-the-choices process, and any other process there is, if you could please spare some advice! I would really appreciate it! For what it's worth, here are the schools I'm interested in and their rankings.
1. Kent State University
2. DePaul University
3. Bowling Green University
4. Ohio University
5. Akron University (Crazy right! Interested in both Kent and Akron! Blasphemy!:p )

Thanks in advance everybody and sorry for the long read!
Christian

MrBlackisBack

4.90 star(s)
DePaul puts you about a mile from Wrigley (if that's your thing). My best advice is to do as much research as possible. Read some of the big college books ranking the schools and what are their best and worst attributes. If you have the time and means, go check out the schools. You may like the program a lot but not be happy with the campus or the people. Also you have to consider finances. Most people don't consider this going in to school but believe me, you will consider it once you are done!

Kekamba

5.00 star(s)
My advice, even though I never went to college. Visit each school, take your time and stay focused. Talk to as many people while on the visit you can to get a good feel for what your getting into. I think sometimes kids see the oppurtunity and jump without thinking everything out.

I had a buddy many moons ago who had a few basketball scholarships. Wasnt division 1 schools, but alot of the papers thought he could transfer if he could put some weight on. Long story short, he chose a school a long way from home. Didnt feel like he fit in socialy and got home sick. He ended up dropping out and is now constantly in trouble. The last few times Ive seen him he's had one of those nice tracking braclets on his ankle.

Im not saying this happens to everyone. Just felt it was a good example of finding out everything you can before you commit. The #1 reason you are there is for a education, but your also going to be there for a few years. So make sure you fell 100% comfortable with everything about that school.

-J.

The GU Guy

4.80 star(s)
I had the same problem comming out of High school I was Highly recruted carner back by colleges such as auburn Ohio Penn and Umass and found out that Umass had the best programs to offer me as a business law major so you never know could be the small school you do not think of that is the right one for you

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Given the cost of college these days have you considered getting your associate's at a community college first and then transferring out after?

Otherwise I'm along with the others and feel you really need to visit the campus' to make a decision. Consider the distance of each as well and what a pain in might be to drive home...or to not go home very often.

mrmopar

5.00 star(s)
Who's paying?

I assume your State is like mine and the cost is cheaper for residents. Going out of State for school was not an option for me, however I had a pretty good choice in the University of Washington and their Business School. My degree certainly helped get me my job although I wouldn't say I am utilizing my major as much as I expected, but 12 years later and I can't complain!

OriolesFan8

5.00 star(s)
Seawolf17 would be the expert on this board, especially with the application process.

I agree with Curt, I stayed in state because of the cost, but if you are offered a scholarship, then you obviously have more options.

Good luck,

Todd

chieftazmisty

5.00 star(s)
Seawolf17 would be the expert on this board, especially with the application process.

I agree with Curt, I stayed in state because of the cost, but if you are offered a scholarship, then you obviously have more options.

Good luck,

Todd
Hey Todd
I was just going to him to send a PM to Seawolf17 You beat me to it

Hey Christian
Just chose the school that offers you the best courses in what you are going for. .Also have a back up plan If the first school dose not work out. My granddauhter just graduate from high school and Had four choices to pick from. The school she wanted to go to accepted her and she is going there. Al four schools accepted her.
Hope this helps you out some
Tom

Brave

5.00 star(s)
My only advice would be to make sure you are comfortable with the school size. I graduated with a class of around 80 people in high-school. I knew that I would probably not be comfortable in the big university setting. I decided on a smaller school which had smaller class sizes. It was a lot easier to raise my hand and give a stupid answer in front of 15-25 people instead of 30+ :D

hatesgoats

5.00 star(s)
You need to go visit. I cannot stress this enough
I am a UW Wisconsin Communications major grad. It was an outstanding
time. Big Ten FB hockey basketball it was awesome.
DePaul is in an urban setting , I grew up not to far from there. Everywhere is a totally diff exp.
It also depends on the costs involved. this is a huge decision and all I can tell you is make up a good and bad list.....
GoodLuck
Bill

DaNotoriousNIC

4.90 star(s)
Visit them, take price into factor and like someone else said about starting off with community college, when their (community college) also ask about if their credits are transferrable to other schools. Might be able to save half the cost the first few years by getting the basic courses out of the way and then transferring to where you would like to get your degree. Just remember though, you do not want to be a Buckeye, anything but a Buckeye!

O

oldmarine0311

Meliah has it soooo correctly. many young kids go to college out of highschool with no practical knowledge and think its all going to be like some movie, where its parties parties parties.

and college is sooo NOT parties, unless you want a "C" avg grade and little opportunity for employment.

Kids change their minds and their degrees like an inconstant old man... all the time and usually daily.

go to your local community college and get your basic class work out of the way and then walk into your college of choice as a Jr. this will afford you a ton of opportunities. namesly staying at home and allowing your parents to take you as a tax write off as you continue to go to school, (that is if they are footing ANY part of the bill). plus as previously stated you will get in state tutition. and if your still wanting to drudge throuh 2 more years of even harder schooling your ready for that.

if some school is trying to get you on a scholorship, check it out because it will NOT cover all your needs. college is not cheep when your paying rent, food, utilities, insurance, and hope you have no medical issues that the school coverage may not cover.

plus no one knows what the next two years are going to be like, especially if they continue as they are, the farther your away from home the harder your heart stings will pull you back. especially to mommie, no offense just a fact of kid to adult transition.

do your research on the towns/areas these schools are in too, check avg rental price, if your not on campus, employment opportunities, if you not on campus and want to say umm eat other than top rahmen. and availabel transportation, dont expect to be driving to school, as a freshman you may not be able to and if you wnat to use a lot for parking that will cost money too.

but remember this your biggest expence par none will be books.

andddd try to get two areas of study not just commuinications make your self more unique as a future employee, becasue yo may be fighting for a job with a guy who has 15 years on the job before you get out of school.

just really be through...

Tankp

5.00 star(s)
It is so easy to be distracted by small and meaningless things. What you need to do is focus on what is important. And never go against your gut feeling. Your gut is the way to aviod making a huge mistake. The rest is up to you.

uglyrad1

5.00 star(s)
Some great advice so far everybody! Thanks a million! I truly appreciate all the help! Well tomorrow (today I guess) I visit Kent State. I've been looking forward to it for so long! I hope they can steer me in the right direction, whether it's reinforcing my desire to go there or totally losing my interest. Setting up a visit to DePaul is going to be just a tiny bit more challenging, though! Thanks again to everybody for the advice! I can't begin to tell you all how much it means to me!
Christian

CYmarlins

5.00 star(s)
Visit the schools, do ur research and really do ur homework on this. Because in the end this is YOUR education and ur the one taking the classes.

Feel comfortable and make the right choice.

anglinomics

5.00 star(s)
Go for college visits. Check out the living arrangements and eat some of the food. Some colleges do not allow Freshmen to have vehicles on campus. Don't make a decision based on the published price. Most colleges will offer some scholarships or grants just to get you in the door. Find out the true price of attendance. Get your FAFSA sent to all the schools you might attend.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
Hey bud, if you need a place to stay at when you're making a visit to Depaul you can crash here. I live just outside of Chicago and it might make the trip easier for you. You wouldn't be the first Benchie to crash here and don't worry, they all lived to tell about it:p

DMS6391

4.90 star(s)
Just go to NC State, its great here!

But seriously, I kinda knew all along I was going to go to NCSU if I could get in (currently a sophomore). Sounds like Kent State is where you really want to be. For me, there really wasn't any other options. I applied to a couple of other schools but I knew all along I was going to NCSU.

Good luck, wherever you decide to go. Its a blast!

Sponsors