Mailing PWE Non-Machinable vs Machinable

theguru14

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have heard stories, seen pics and received damaged PWEs and it truly sucks to get a damaged card no matter the value of the card. Yes, mailing cards now is much more expensive then back in the days and the cost of packs and box prices are not helping. Regardless of all that I feel that it is most important to mail the items as safely and secure as possible. First and foremost I dont think you should ever put more than 2 thin cards in a PWE, that is just my opinion. If your trade is more than 2 cards it is still cheaper to send in multiple PWEs than the BM options which can cost anywhere from $3-5.

Nothing is 100% fool proof and not sure how many others do this, but this is how I have mailed PWEs for a very long time now and have never had any issues with the envelope being damaged whether the PWE went through the machine or not.

1. I take a regular size paper and fold it in 3 like any mail you would get.
2. I tape the penny sleeved top loaded card on the top left corner which is the furthest spot away from where the machine prints
3. I put the folded paper into the envelope with the card now facing the top right corner which is not the furthest spot away from where the machine prints.
4. Finally I slap a stamp on it and throw it in the mail box.

I hope this helps and lessens damaged cards being received. HAPPY TRADING!!!

20210508_101952 by Steven Tong, on Flickr
20210508_102621 by Steven Tong, on Flickr

David657

Bench Warmer
That looks like what my postal worker was describing could happen to the cards I mailed this morning, even though I paid the extra $.20.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has ever received a damaged card that was mailed non-machinable.
To answer your question...I have. Got a mutilated envelope with butterfly stamp that was clearly machined. (Cards were fine though) when asking at PO, they said its unnecessary as all mail will get machined at some point. (Not supposed to be, but they still get machined unless its odd sized like a photo mailer)

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
they said its unnecessary as all mail will get machined at some point
That's probably what my postal worker was trying to say, without actually saying the words. I'll probably be taking my chances without the extra $.20 from now on, with the mindset that if anything does happen it'll be on me to make it right. Even if that happens on my next 2-3 PWE trades, I'll still be ahead because of what I've saved on the $.20 since I started doing PWE trades.

David657

Bench Warmer
That's probably what my postal worker was trying to say, without actually saying the words. I'll probably be taking my chances without the extra $.20 from now on, with the mindset that if anything does happen it'll be on me to make it right. Even if that happens on my next 2-3 PWE trades, I'll still be ahead because of what I've saved on the $.20 since I started doing PWE trades.
On a lighter note, I went to mail a pwe at the po, clerk insisted that I was using wrong postage (a .75 2oz stamp) saying that the correct postage should be a .55 stamp with a .20 butterfly stamp....sooooo .75??? Cards arrived without issue using "incorrect" postage.