Martial Arts and Kids

Mark Wing

5.00 star(s)
I am looking for some advice. My eight year old daughter is interested in martial arts. She took a trial class last night and is sold on it. I, on the other hand, am not completely on board. The studio (and fees) are structured so that kids take a minimum of two classes a week. The instructor felt less than that was not worth the effort. My primary concern is if my daughter signs up, it is going to squeeze out other activities (both time-wise and money-wise). I would rather she take classes once a week and not have to give up other activities until she has been down this path long enough to know that is truly what she wants to do. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

valediction

5.00 star(s)
I am looking for some advice. My eight year old daughter is interested in martial arts. She took a trial class last night and is sold on it. I, on the other hand, am not completely on board. The studio (and fees) are structured so that kids take a minimum of two classes a week. The instructor felt less than that was not worth the effort. My primary concern is if my daughter signs up, it is going to squeeze out other activities (both time-wise and money-wise). I would rather she take classes once a week and not have to give up other activities until she has been down this path long enough to know that is truly what she wants to do. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
I know with my Godson it was several times a week. Much less than that and I'd have to agree with the instructor, without a lot of repetition, it's almost like starting over week to week.

Meliah

5.00 star(s)
I took martial arts when I was a kid and it's really not a once a week type of thing. Between learning the art you focus on many other things including discipline, self control and mind set. If you only took it once a week you would not be getting the full benefit of taking the class in my opinion.

O

oldmarine0311

let her give it a try, if shes motivated to do it then you can continue to pay for it, but alot of people only last a few weeks and then decide its not for them. so let her try and just support her, worst tht can happen is you blow a few bucks. if it works for her she has to be the one that decided to make it work anyway.

criollos

5.00 star(s)
Hi Mark:
I started my son in Tae Kwon Do when he was 5 or 6 years old (he's almost 8 now) and he really likes it. I think that at least for the first year going twice a week will be very beneficial. After the first year I made arrengements with the instructors so he was going to class only once a week. My son was involved in too many other activities (soccer, baseball, basketball, piano, chess club, etc.) that it made it too hard for him to go to Tae Kwon Do more than once a week. I think that my son welcomed the change to taking the class only once a week. The only drawback is that his buddies that keep going to class twice a week will be moving up the ladder (ie, graduating to a higher degree belt) faster than my son,......but he is OK with that. Hope you find a system that works for both of you.

Luis

Tankp

5.00 star(s)
Sure it is not dad just being too over protective of his daughter?
Martial arts will teach her discipline self confidence and help to keep her fit.
Not too many other activties are going to help her in all of those ways.
I started when I was 6 until 12. It was not only good for me but fun as well.

Sponsors